Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm telling you - Dayne Beamks mk2. Exactly the same gait and playing style. Both are elite at getting clean hands free.

Gun. Rising star nom lock.
Hope that's where the Beams comparison ends.On the field.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
How’s this quote from some Carlton gimp:

Don't care much for Ross Jack, can find the football but no real point of difference beyond that. Not enough tricks to be a long-term effective midfielder, not damaging enough with the football, not quick, doesn't have great agility/lateral movement and is not evasive.
Credit where credit is due.This bloke is seeing exactly what the football world sees in Jack.Jack Silvagni that is.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
While its hard not to love Stack, Jack Ross is still my favourite recruit this year. I love his no fuss attitude and consistent ball winning. He is clean with his possessions and eager to distribute the ball to the other midfielders. As he grows in confidence, his ability to take the game on and break away from packs will increase and he will be better at creating play and creating goals. He is a bull who still doesn't realise his own strength. Imagine what this guy will do after some time to develop his body, game awareness and confidence! Wowwee! :D

Rich o man

All Australian
Oct 19, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
Richmond
FECwMJ1.gif
Jack Higgins throw

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
While its hard not to love Stack, Jack Ross is still my favourite recruit this year. I love his no fuss attitude and consistent ball winning. He is clean with his possessions and eager to distribute the ball to the other midfielders. As he grows in confidence, his ability to take the game on and break away from packs will increase and he will be better at creating play and creating goals. He is a bull who still doesn't realise his own strength. Imagine what this guy will do after some time to develop his body, game awareness and confidence! Wowwee! :D

Watching his latest games he has room for improvement which should come with confidence and experience. I like how he is not awed by the opposition in the physical stakes. I think he can get a little bit more aggressive in the contest though imposing himself more in terms of physical presence, I felt he was a touch stand offish at times given his rookie status but I think he should not sell himself short. I also like his quickish acceleration from scratch which helps him on the spread to and his neat ball use by foot brings other teammates into the game nicely creating easy efficient team synergy. Ross has good handball skills and draws the opposition in where he can hold them off and release but I like his uncomplicated disposal by foot and simple option selection style. I think his teammates should get quite confident with the ball in Ross's hands especially in terms of creating an option for him to distribute the ball effectively by reading his easy play. I think he needs as much continuity in his game as possible and I would play him even when Cotch comes back in. Cotch can even help him and Ross should be able to find a role that rotates through the midfield adding extra dimensions to his game and improving our versatility. Its nice to have another guy in the midfield that is strong and tall enough to hold position and take a mark under potential physical pressure as well offsetting our lighter and smaller types. This element really improves us as a team providing another central outlet for our players to choose downfield and can help straighten up our transition at times proving more attacking options and better potency as we move the ball forward.He seems reasonably composed in contested situations to, and seems to maintain his work effort throughout the match so I have a lot of time for Ross. I think he should get as much opportunity as possible to develop further to improve our side and teamwork!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Watching his latest games he has room for improvement which should come with confidence and experience. I like how he is not awed by the opposition in the physical stakes. I think he can get a little bit more aggressive in the contest though imposing himself more in terms of physical presence, I felt he was a touch stand offish at times given his rookie status but I think he should not sell himself short. I also like his quickish acceleration from scratch which helps him on the spread to and his neat ball use by foot brings other teammates into the game nicely creating easy efficient team synergy. Ross has good handball skills and draws the opposition in where he can hold them off and release but I like his uncomplicated disposal by foot and simple option selection style. I think his teammates should get quite confident with the ball in Ross's hands especially in terms of creating an option for him to distribute the ball effectively by reading his easy play. I think he needs as much continuity in his game as possible and I would play him even when Cotch comes back in. Cotch can even help him and Ross should be able to find a role that rotates through the midfield adding extra dimensions to his game and improving our versatility. Its nice to have another guy in the midfield that is strong and tall enough to hold position and take a mark under potential physical pressure as well offsetting our lighter and smaller types. This element really improves us as a team providing another central outlet for our players to choose downfield and can help straighten up our transition at times proving more attacking options and better potency as we move the ball forward.He seems reasonably composed in contested situations to, and seems to maintain his work effort throughout the match so I have a lot of time for Ross. I think he should get as much opportunity as possible to develop further to improve our side and teamwork!!
Good wrap. His quick feet which you mention is a real plus and necessary for players in close. Means he always seems balanced.

For the record Ross currently ranks among Rising Stars:

1st forCentre Clearances Per Game
1st for Handballs Per Game
2nd for Disposals Per Game
2nd for Metres Gained Per Game
2nd for Turnovers Per Game
2nd for Uncontested Possessions Per Game
2nd for Effective Disposals Per Game
2nd for Inside 50s Per Game
3rd for Stoppage Clearances Per Game
3rd for Score Involvements Per Game
3rd for Contested Possessions Per Game
3rd for Clearances Per Game
4th for Kicks Per Game
5th for Total Clearances
5th for Total Centre Clearances
6th for Total Stoppage Clearances
7th for Tackles Per Game
10th for Intercepts Per Game

If he plays most of the year you could make a strong case that Ross will be the Rising Star winner. While Walsh and Rozee are getting plenty of plaudits at the moment, it should be pointed out that they came into sides that were in desperate need of some talent whereas Ross has come into a side that was the most dominant side for the last 2 years and has not looked out of place at all. To me that is the definition of a Rising Star as it's much harder to come in and stand out in a good side as a kid than it is in a poorer side.

Nov 30, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg
For the record Ross currently ranks among Rising Stars:

1st forCentre Clearances Per Game
1st for Handballs Per Game
2nd for Disposals Per Game
2nd for Metres Gained Per Game
2nd for Turnovers Per Game
2nd for Uncontested Possessions Per Game
2nd for Effective Disposals Per Game
2nd for Inside 50s Per Game
3rd for Stoppage Clearances Per Game
3rd for Score Involvements Per Game
3rd for Contested Possessions Per Game
3rd for Clearances Per Game
4th for Kicks Per Game
5th for Total Clearances
5th for Total Centre Clearances
6th for Total Stoppage Clearances
7th for Tackles Per Game
10th for Intercepts Per Game

If he plays most of the year you could make a strong case that Ross will be the Rising Star winner. While Walsh and Rozee are getting plenty of plaudits at the moment, it should be pointed out that they came into sides that were in desperate need of some talent whereas Ross has come into a side that was the most dominant side for the last 2 years and has not looked out of place at all. To me that is the definition of a Rising Star as it's much harder to come in and stand out in a good side as a kid than it is in a poorer side.

Delicious

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
The genius of Ross' development too is that he takes pressure off our midfield players as they enter the latter stages of their careers.
When Cotchin, Martin, Prestia and Lambert reach their 30s, he will be coming through, helping to share the burden equitably.

sub 3sec 20metres

which is rare for an inside player. I just cant fathom how he slipped so far in the draft, he has all the tools, literally no weakness in his game.

Sep 7, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
SMFC
He's going to be elite. Our recruitment system is working an absolute treat and building a list like we have and continue to do is how you win flags. Easily my favourite draftee or recruit we've had in the last 2 years.

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
which is rare for an inside player. I just cant fathom how he slipped so far in the draft, he has all the tools, literally no weakness in his game.
Endurance was meant to be his weakness, but hasn't held him back at all. From the AFL Draft Central guide:

1556755173113.png

Back