Player Watch #5 Jack Ross

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
So glad he finally got a chance in the midfield. Looked composed including setting Dusty up for that last goal. Not a HBFer Dimma!

17 disposals at 88%, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances. A much better and more natural inside mid then Jack Graham.
Goes 88% playing contested footy and about 4% playing half back LOL

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
I'd take him over Jack Graham at this point but only because Graham is horribly out of form right now. Graham offers a bit more defensively (not that Ross is bad) and a little more going forward. Ross is just a better all round midfielder though.
I think I recall a long kick into the fwd line which was marked and a goal resulted. He is an upgrade on Graham who looks like he needs a few weeks to get his shoulder right.
Injury and COVID relocation has thrown up challenges for all. Noah, chol, Egg, Aarts and Kmac are playing good football, Ross and Markov took their chances and are not absolute rookies and Ross anyhow should stay in until he drops out of from.

freezer

Team Captain
Oct 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He dropped that weight improving his running ability, which he was going to need to play as a midfielder anyway. If he was able to drop that much as an 18-19 year old, then it was likely puppy fat anyway, I'd be surprised if he's lost any strength given the elite environment he's in.

I agree, if he lost 8kg it definitely wasn't all muscle. Otherwise at 93kg he'd be the same build as Dusty - which he 100% wasn't.

I you look at him as a potential Cotchin replacement/type then he's not far off where he needs to be.

As listed on RFC website:
Ross 187cm 85kg
Cotchin 185cm 86kg

Given the extra 2cm height I reckon 88kg would be about right for Jack. Good balance of power and endurance.

Great to see him find his confidence in the second half, he can definitely play. Needs to be given the next 3 games in the midfield until Prestia gets back at least. If he can find a run of form he's definitely a Graham upgrade, and a potential top liner.

Sir_Rancelot

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
We have to keep playing Ross, build up is endurance and confidence.
The kid is going to be Mr Reliable for us in the future.
Who ever told him to loose all that weight needs to rethink it a bit.
The happy medium would have been 4kg he's gone from being a bull to lightly built.

I think it's most likely got to do with his ankles not being great and having to carry the extra load.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Dow and RCD up against it
Reckon Graham is more up against it. We do not have a RCD type and he will get his chance soon as they will revolve a few new faces in there. Dow will be knocking on the door next year more than this, and can play multiple positions, half forward, wing perhaps.

Reckon Graham is more up against it. We do not have a RCD type and he will get his chance soon as they will revolve a few new faces in there. Dow will be knocking on the door next year more than this, and can play multiple positions, half forward, wing perhaps.

Cotch can't last forever. Graham fills part of that role. RCD and Dow fill other roles (Dow - Sheds-ish). I reckon we'll be trying to win premiership now and build into a new midfield future. Graham has shown he can get 20 possessions a game. But this year he seems to have stepped back a little on production.

Overall I see us trying to build a competitive group of about 8 mids for the next 8 - 10 years.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Cotch can't last forever. Graham fills part of that role. RCD and Dow fill other roles (Dow - Sheds-ish). I reckon we'll be trying to win premiership now and build into a new midfield future. Graham has shown he can get 20 possessions a game. But this year he seems to have stepped back a little on production.

Overall I see us trying to build a competitive group of about 8 mids for the next 8 - 10 years.
Don't say that! :(...I reckon we need our young 'uns to step up so we can nurse the chimp through a regular season just so we can release his missile attacks on the oppo with ball in the Finals! If we do that I can see the chimp play for two more years...

Don't say that! :(...I reckon we need our young 'uns to step up so we can nurse the chimp through a regular season just so we can release his missile attacks on the oppo with ball in the Finals! If we do that I can see the chimp play for two more years...

That's what I am saying - we are balancing winning premiership now >>>>> we need Cotch. With developing a longer term midfield post Cotch, Sheds etc.

The younger guys (Graham, Ross, RCD(??)) can be used to shield Cotch from breaking too early. This also helps them develop their games for the future.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

I appreciate how hard he works but to me he is a limited footballer and will struggle with Bolton, Stack, Pickett, Ross, RCD and Dow, perhaps a Turner or the new draft pics this year from Qld, who are both mids. Premiership midfields are hard to get a gig in and the names above only got a shot because of injuries and covid. It's not going to get any easier to make the team than now.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I appreciate how hard he works but to me he is a limited footballer and will struggle with Bolton, Stack, Pickett, Ross, RCD and Dow, perhaps a Turner or the new draft pics this year from Qld, who are both mids. Premiership midfields are hard to get a gig in and the names above only got a shot because of injuries and covid. It's not going to get any easier to make the team than now.

The counterpoint is stack looks rubbish.

Pickett is old.

Ross is going ok.

2mums and Dow done nothing.

Graham current is a handy back up option at worse. Looks in not much trouble of losing that title. For now.

matt_y106

Club Legend
Dec 13, 2008
Vermont
AFL Club
Richmond

Pickett is old.

Ross is going ok.

Graham current is a handy back up option at worse. Looks in not much trouble of losing that title. For now.

Stack is a completely different footballer to that of last year. And I just don’t understand how that has happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond

Pickett is old.

Ross is going ok.

There is not much room in there with half a list much less a full list. Pickett is 28 and improving every week. Ross looked very comfortable the longer the game went. RCD and Dow who knows, but they will be given games before Prestia and Edwards come back. Bolton has flown past many. There are not really that many spots in the midfield unless you are versatile and can play wing or half forward, which Graham can't really.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
There is not much room in there with half a list much less a full list. Pickett is 28 and improving every week. Ross looked very comfortable the longer the game went. RCD and Dow who knows, but they will be given games before Prestia and Edwards come back. Bolton has flown past many. There are not really that many spots in the midfield unless you are versatile and can play wing or half forward, which Graham can't really.

Don't disagree as such but at 22 with 45 games I reckon they'd try find a spot for fridge. (On the list. If there is footy in the future / corona)

He's proven to be able to play at good level. Sometimes at least.

Clearly Ross is above him in the rankings now

Back