Welcome Welcome to Richmond - Katie Brennan

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point, the whole Human Rights Commission thing put me offside and shouldn't be used to get off a suspension when you've injured someone. Anyway ,I wish her all the best but no more slam tackles.
Oddly enough I had the opposite reaction. The fact she was fighting simply for an equal outcome gave me a lot of respect for her. Didn't even realise it was her till I opened this thread.

Oddly enough I had the opposite reaction. The fact she was fighting simply for an equal outcome gave me a lot of respect for her. Didn't even realise it was her till I opened this thread.
I don't think it was sexist ,the other players wanted to be protected and she had done it a few times.

Welcome Katie! Huge news for the club and the AFLW program. Bring on 2020.

Side note, if you're not into the AFLW, you dont have to comment and spread the hate. I have found most people that hate it, haven't watched it, or watched the first season and made their mind up.

I was watching local U13's in Brisbane, and some serious talent is getting around those year levels. These girls and young women now have a pathway and Katie is a role model for all of those.

Get behind it.
That's the thing with the aflw. Right now the skills are pretty shocking overall because it was made from the existing mature talent pool. but you can clearly see with the girls being drafted that the skill is there, and it's just gonna take time until the current juniors are the majority of players and the overall skill level will increase.

That's the thing with the aflw. Right now the skills are pretty shocking overall because it was made from the existing mature talent pool. but you can clearly see with the girls being drafted that the skill is there, and it's just gonna take time until the current juniors are the majority of players and the overall skill level will increase.

You also have the other girls in the 21-25 prime bracket who have been exposed to an elite training environment for 3 years now and are much better equipped to play the game. That has contributed to the improved standard in 2019. There are some seriously fit girls playing out there now.

You also have the other girls in the 21-25 prime bracket who have been exposed to an elite training environment for 3 years now and are much better equipped to play the game. That has contributed to the improved standard in 2019. There are some seriously fit girls playing out there now.
Case in point -> Ash Brazill from the Pies. Watched a few Pies game this year live and her ability to break lines, tackles is unparalleled in the AFLW. She also plays netball. Just look at how good Maddy Prespakis was this year as an 18 y/o rookie. Jet. She played in the Romsey (i think??) team as a junior with the boys and was always one of the top players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrific get! Welcome aboard KB...
Love the kicking style...good old fashion roost...
View attachment 651689
I admire how her awesome kicking technique does not leave her as open (no pun intended) to those nasty online trolls unlike one T Harris. All thanks to her thoughtfully placed right hand. That sort of modesty does not go unnoticed by the brains trust at rfc.

Great get. We can build a team around KB. Best CHF in the comp and pretty handy rolling through the midfield too.

Should we pool together and sponsor her - like we have the fella's?
Does the club offer player sponsorship yet for the girls?

I'm onboard, but IMO, we should sponsor some of the lesser lights. KB, with her business KB.Performance, is more or less a professional athlete. 95% of the players get SFA $. Ellie Blackburn, one of the better players, works on a check-out at Aldi.

I think girls footy could has really taken off

Lol, fixed the tense for you, CDog. It's the fastest growing sport in Australia. Causing genuine logistical problems because there literally aren't enough ovals in some areas.

The game changer, IMO, is that the kids coming through have been able to play continuously. The 25+ year olds played juniors until 14 y.o., then had to stop or play seniors as children. Now, the 18 y.o.s have played juniors all the way through and have the full skill set.

Genuine gun dual-sport athletes - like Erin Phillips - will always get a game, but the tall netballers who can't kick won't get a sniff when this wave of kids washes through the AFLW.

Can our AFLW coaches tell our players not to have low percentage shots on goal.It's embarrassing how many girls go for the impossible shot from the boundary when they should center the ball.Less TV time, more team time tigers.

The game changer, IMO, is that the kids coming through have been able to play continuously. The 25+ year olds played juniors until 14 y.o., then had to stop or play seniors as children. Now, the 18 y.o.s have played juniors all the way through and have the full skill set.

Genuine gun dual-sport athletes - like Erin Phillips - will always get a game, but the tall netballers who can't kick won't get a sniff when this wave of kids washes through the AFLW.

Agree about the cross coders. Ash Brazill is another who's first love was footy but had to stop and play netball. She looks a natural on the footy field.

The cross coders were predominantly recruited for their exposure to elite training methods and less for what they could contribute on field with one or two exceptions. The clubs thought a way to fast track other players was to expose them to the way other successful professional athletes trained, ate and acted. For the main it has worked.

In the coming years, cross coders won't get picked up unless they have a decent footy skill set. They just wont be good enough.

Just want to piggy back off what others are saying in that I absolutely can't wait for the next AFLW season to roll around.

I have had fleeting interest in the competition so far, mainly due to not wanting to support anyone else, yet all it took was one photo of Katie in the yellow and black and I felt fully committed to the cause.

Powerful thing, our jumper.

Great get. We can build a team around KB. Best CHF in the comp and pretty handy rolling through the midfield too.

I'm onboard, but IMO, we should sponsor some of the lesser lights. KB, with her business KB.Performance, is more or less a professional athlete. 95% of the players get SFA $. Ellie Blackburn, one of the better players, works on a check-out at Aldi.

Lol, fixed the tense for you, CDog. It's the fastest growing sport in Australia. Causing genuine logistical problems because there literally aren't enough ovals in some areas.

Yeah, I think your right about it being the fastest growing sport.
I like reading Rohan Connolly and Footyology, he made a great point.
We got an ashes tour this year and the Sheffield sheild final was played down the Junction oval same day as the aflw grand final.
53 thou at the women’s Granny
A few hundred at the cricket final
I rang the club to see whether they can bundle up memberships for the men and women in some sorta package.
Couldn’t confirm for next year but hope they do.

I rang the club to see whether they can bundle up memberships for the men and women in some sorta package.
Couldn’t confirm for next year but hope they do.

Great idea! If they ring you back about the membership bundle, you can tell them I'm in.

I'm tempted to get the Women's Football Foundation Membership, but it'd be a $115 donation. There's not much on the list of member's benefits that I don't already get. And it'd take a few pay days with nothing unexpected for me to afford it. It only takes the junior footballers in my house to grow out of their freaking boots (again)...

For anybody thinking the highlight reel on the club website was maybe a little bit lean, here's a few extra clips to whet the appetite:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back