Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Like everyone is trying to work out, who does he take out of the team though. As I said, with 6 pure mids ahead, he won't be getting much midfield time, but I also can see being a mid at some point. I see your point about wanting a mature body, so does he play mainly as HBF, replace the Baker role, but be a winger dropping back, and then get 10% mid time? But you said you wanted him to take on the WC mids. Or are you counting the winger as a mid... but that's Gaff/Masten... need runners??

To bring him in to go up against their mids, will mean he'll need to be put ahead of a couple of players in terms of midfield time, in the list I mentioned, Cotch, Dusty, Prestia, Graham, Ross.

Or do you want a bigger body rather than Stack or Bolton in the very p/t mid role?

The question still remains, who comes out for that p/t mid role? If Bolton and Chol for Dusty and Cotchin, who is next out? Baker? Caddy?
Yeah you make some very valid points. It’s really hard to know who comes out for cotch and dusty let alone Pickett. It’s a great position to be in. Caddy,Ellis, bolton, baker and Rioli are all a chance to go out of the side IMO. Interesting selections in coming weeks.

Only a quarter into the Essendon VFL replay but based on what I've seen of Pickett from this game and the game against Northern Blues I can't help but think his skillset is wasted in the back half, sure it helps to have quick hands as a defender but as a forward/midfielder quick hands in close can really open a game. I also like his attack on the ball but playing a lockdown role doesn't seem to suit him but at the same time he doesn't look comfortable peeling off his man and playing as the spare. Seems to more suited to the role they were grooming Stack to play as a forward/mid.

Pity it's probably to late to get a senior call up this year.. But his game today in the VFL qualifying final was excellent... He's gonna be a player... Can't wait to unleash him on the comp off halfback next year
drop rioli for him. done nothing all year

bears won know what hit em. pickett will go up a level with quality around him

Pity it's probably to late to get a senior call up this year.. But his game today in the VFL qualifying final was excellent... He's gonna be a player... Can't wait to unleash him on the comp off halfback next year
I didnt see the VFL, but it seemed from comments in the thread (the ones that had decipherable meaning anyway), he came to life and dominated as a mid. Think he may slot into the mid rotations.

I didnt see the VFL, but it seemed from comments in the thread (the ones that had decipherable meaning anyway), he came to life and dominated as a mid. Think he may slot into the mid rotations.
He played mid in the first quarter and hardly touched it. He came into it in the second when he went forward, and was a real spark there in the third, before going back into the midfield in the last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would bring him into the team against Brisbane

Out: Balta , Ellis
In: Nankervis , Pickett

Gotta be careful doing that. Brisbanes only hope is on the spread and speed from the contest. They actually caught us a few times last week. I think Ellis defensive running will be super important. I'd be more inclined to drop Bolton if you had to make a change.

The guy is just all class. Doesn't need many touches to impact.
Only problem is he seems to coast a bit - he looked almost disinterested in the first half - which is staggering seeing it was a final. When he decides to turn it on though he is very impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back