Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
rioli, bolton or short.. dont care

JUST GET HIM IN

The thing that might work against Bolton, Rioli and Costagna is the very poor forward pressure numbers recorded in the Lions game last week. Worst of the season so far, including losses. Surely it's been noted by the match committee and one of these three pays the price. Or at the very least, is on notice.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
The thing that might work against Bolton, Rioli and Costagna is the very poor forward pressure numbers recorded in the Lions game last week. Worst of the season so far, including losses. Surely it's been noted by the match committee and one of these three pays the price. Or at the very least, is on notice.
None of them will be dropped imo. I think they will have it put on them to up the pressure in F50, was very unlike us to have zero forward 50 tackles last week. Will be a totally different story this week, Lions will feel the heat imo. Which will help us as Brisbane couldn’t play much better than they did in around 23, whereas I think we have another gear, hope so anyway🤞

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond

We laid 1 tackle inside forward 50 for the entire match, wouldn't read too much into it, other than it being a deliberate strategy to see how Brisbane transition the ball from defence.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
The whole team performed poorly in terms of applying pressure. We held our hands close to our chests that day.
The real game is this week.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
If this bloke plays it really should be as a HB. While he has shown he can play midfield especially at wafl etc by far his best footy has been as a defender.

Its a bit like Stack at afl and Juniors he has played some ripping footy as a hb yet we ask him to play a role elsewhere to fit blokes like Short into the team.

In years past across all teams a hb spot has been kept vacant for players like Stack and Pickett and the encumbents with more experience and pre seasons behind them have been the ones who are asked to play more midfield, not at richmond though.

Next year regardless of what we do this yr both Stack and Pickett would be in the back half for me.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
If this bloke plays it really should be as a HB. While he has shown he can play midfield especially at wafl etc by far his best footy has been as a defender.

Its a bit like Stack at afl and Juniors he has played some ripping footy as a hb yet we ask him to play a role elsewhere to fit blokes like Short into the team.

In years past across all teams a hb spot has been kept vacant for players like Stack and Pickett and the encumbents with more experience and pre seasons behind them have been the ones who are asked to play more midfield, not at richmond though.

Next year regardless of what we do this yr both Stack and Pickett would be in the back half for me.

I have not seen much of Pickett but the way he delivers the ball he looks more like a backman.

I think Stack is more of an innate backman that just has tools to do other things

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
'He's going to be an incredible player', but will Dimma pick him?
Roger Vaughan, AAP
Sep 2, 2019 10:47PM

You heard it from Dimma first. He's had his couple of days wondering, self-tempting, now reality has arrived:

"Marlion's one of those guys you love the look of and you think 'he'd be able to add something to us', but you're a little bit unsure.

"After another pre-season, he's going to be an incredible player for us. He certainly has a lot of upside."

Meli

#gotiges
Aug 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
For mine nank and Pickett huge final terms won us the game . Still not certain he’s done enough to force way into team. What he has done is shown that with a pre season under the belt he will most def be knocking the door down
I agree. He's an unknown at AFL level and therefore a huge risk to bring in for finals, no matter how tempting it is.
Don't get me wrong, I think he'll be a good player for us, but if they were going to debut him this season, they would have in R23.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I disagree as there are at least a dozen VFL players who are very classy.
Werribee has three , Coburg two ,Williamstown at least three and Port three. Then go through the AFL clubs and I reckon you would find a handful or two in them. The problem is taking the next step to AFL is where the problem arises. ATM with Pickett we haven’t seen enough of him and I don’t really know where he is fitness wise.
I’ve put him on the back burner until a month into next year.
So those VFL types with class are probably a bit more than serviceable, or they don't have enough AFL attributes. Lambert was one that was thought of that way, not big, not quick, not classy, not a great kick, hence he wasn't drafted until he became a ball magnet. But Pickett is the opposite to all of those things, just short of a gallop and perhaps not a ball magnet. Doubt he will play this year, but I reckon he will be there next.

You heard it from Dimma first. He's had his couple of days wondering, self-tempting, now reality has arrived:

"Marlion's one of those guys you love the look of and you think 'he'd be able to add something to us', but you're a little bit unsure.

"After another pre-season, he's going to be an incredible player for us. He certainly has a lot of upside."

Yep. Needs headspace as well to clear some things of past few weeks. Preseason then bang in 2020.

Haere Ra

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
So those VFL types with class are probably a bit more than serviceable, or they don't have enough AFL attributes. Lambert was one that was thought of that way, not big, not quick, not classy, not a great kick, hence he wasn't drafted until he became a ball magnet. But Pickett is the opposite to all of those things, just short of a gallop and perhaps not a ball magnet. Doubt he will play this year, but I reckon he will be there next.
Adam Marcon is a jet at VFL, but failed when given the opportunity at AFL. The step can be too high is what I was saying. As I said Pickett looks to me lacking match fitness, but he’s still unproven at AFL.

Mr Unbelievable

Premium Platinum
Nov 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
The whole team performed poorly in terms of applying pressure. We held our hands close to our chests that day.
The real game is this week.
Agree 100%, we didnt show our hand .. I feel its the lesson we learnt from last year.
I mentioned at the start of the year that dimma would hold tactics until the end ... I cant wait for the game

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Adam Marcon is a jet at VFL, but failed when given the opportunity at AFL. The step can be too high is what I was saying. As I said Pickett looks to me lacking match fitness, but he’s still unproven at AFL.
Marcon lacks a yard of pace, a killer at AFL. But yes Pickett is unproven but only very good players can do what he did in the last Q last week. Would like to see him a bit bigger and with an AFL preseason.

Back