Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

ImaBeliever!

All Australian
Apr 13, 2007
The Wimmera
AFL Club
Richmond
Despite some inconsistency, the fella generally has the tools to be best 22 in most teams, but has some special traits that can put him at a higher level especially when the team is firing, like the GF. Has improved and is becoming more consistently good compared to earlier in the season, classic type that needs a string of games to get in the rhythm of AFL standard. If he can sharpen up his decision-making and reaction times in certain situations, he could be more than a good ordinary player and be an unquestioned best 22 selection each week.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Despite some inconsistency, the fella generally has the tools to be best 22 in most teams, but has some special traits that can put him at a higher level especially when the team is firing, like the GF. Has improved and is becoming more consistently good compared to earlier in the season, classic type that needs a string of games to get in the rhythm of AFL standard. If he can sharpen up his decision-making and reaction times in certain situations, he could be more than a good ordinary player and be an unquestioned best 22 selection each week.
even if he never becomes an unquestioned best 22, hes a pretty good bottom 6 player. if we get to the point where he is playing to his current output and is on the fringe every week, we are in a good sport generally.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Yea I noticed this as well. He takes way too long to decide then execute. He can get away with it in the lower leagues but not in the AFL.
he's a 2019 1 game veteran , he's still coming upto AFL speed and being mature aged that could take longer

we see so many that sit in the VFL for too long struggle at AFL and we say here they need a block of games to truly show their worth
he's taking grabs , hitting targets and sticking tackles enough to earn his place in the side

could he do better ?

Hell yeah , only needs tweaks to his game to rise up the rankings

we've got a keeper

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
even if he never becomes an unquestioned best 22, hes a pretty good bottom 6 player. if we get to the point where he is playing to his current output and is on the fringe every week, we are in a good sport generally.
thats a fair way of looking at it, if hes one of your bottom 6 players, then we re doing alright. not too many oppo could say the same, and I mean not too many

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
It's personal opinion from what I have heard, would love him to stay but he is a dad of 4 kids and not long in the game, that is our weakness.
Get Puma onto it.

I would rather trade all of Short, Naish and Higgins than lose this bloke. I'd keep him over Broad and I love Broad.

ImaBeliever!

All Australian
Apr 13, 2007
The Wimmera
AFL Club
Richmond
Big fan of Maligned Marlion despite the haters. Still needs to bridge the gap between his best and worst, but I like the way he goes about it.
If it came be that he would like to be traded home for family/contract reasons, presumably to Freo, then you would hope we could get some value from it given his obvious talent and traits. Cerra seems to be mentioned in here as possibility gettable, and Pickett might be a part of any potential deal. But more than happy to hang on to him.

Does some dumb things you’d expect from a kid but he’s handy to have as depth or the 18-22 player in the team.

I do wonder though, if we’re better off playing a kid in his role who has a longer future?

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Does some dumb things you’d expect from a kid but he’s handy to have as depth or the 18-22 player in the team.

I do wonder though, if we’re better off playing a kid in his role who has a longer future?
Not at the moment he’s best 22.

As you say though makes some poor decisions. But on the flip side can be influential in and around stoppages. Was good in the 2nd half last night after a poor first half

I CAN'T REMEMBER a player who came into a Club/team and had the impact Marlion has had. Maybe Rowell (?) but he was a No 1 pick. But Kane lambert to Gary Ablett jnr all have taken some time to grow into the game at AFL level. He's improving every week he's exposed to the highest level. Not sure we can expect/ask for more than weekly improvement ?.... Just my 2c worth

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I CAN'T REMEMBER a player who came into a Club/team and had the impact Marlion has had. Maybe Rowell (?) but he was a No 1 pick. But Kane lambert to Gary Ablett jnr all have taken some time to grow into the game at AFL level. He's improving every week he's exposed to the highest level. Not sure we can expect/ask for more than weekly improvement ?.... Just my 2c worth
I think Stacky's first year was very very good...maybe bettering Picketts...just my 3c worth...

caddyshack

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond

The 28-year-old, in his 12th game at senior level with Richmond, had a season-high 18 disposals, plus an AFL career-high 15 uncontested possessions, career-high six marks, career-high nine inside-50s and career-high 602 metres gained.

Back