Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Maverick Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

For the record in 2015 Caddy played inside midfielder at Geelong in 19 games averaged:

20.4 disposals(career best season)
3.7 marks (2nd best season)
5.6 tackles(career best season)
5.1 clearances(career best season)
10.3 contested possessions(career best season)

Would suggest that shows that he can play inside midfield but circumstances at Geelong post 2015 and since he came to us have prevented that from happening. Remember when he was traded for that the promise of more midfield time was part of the reason he wanted to come across.

In 171 games since crossing to us at the end of 2010, Grigg playing mainly through to midfield has averaged:

22.3 disposals
5.1 marks
3.1 tackles
2.9 clearances
6.9 contested possessions

Get Caddy(186cm 88kg) into the mix and Grigg back to playing as a midfielder rather than a nominal second ruck and Cotchin and Martin get a bit more big bodied support. But injury has stopped that from happening so far this year, however when they do come back I expect our midfield performance to improve dramatically.

As for Weller, as mentioned previously he is never going to be a star and I don't think anyone ever did expect him to be, but he is someone who can go through the midfield for a few minutes a quarter to provide a break for our gun mids along the way pick up his 10-15 disposals, a few tackles, maybe 1-2 goals while playing up forward. Now maybe I'm wrong but surely that is all that should be expected from him. If people are expecting any more than that then they are setting themselves up for failure.
Your expectations of Mav are too high and you’ve set yourself up for failure. lol lol lol

Who gives a dam as long as it assists the likes of RCD (who by the sounds of is way off), English,Ross & Turner in the long run.
Don't wanna ruin kids like in the past.
When their ready they'll pass the likes of Weller etc.
Come on mate, Port debuted 4 kids in round 1 so it's only natural that we should have followed suit, because you know when Port were so good in Hinkleys early days we should have been copying them then too.

So Mav Weller is equivalent to four kids?
Seriously why are you such a xxxxing troll? Stick to the topic and stop showing your ignorance in football.
The only new faces we played in round one was Lynch who’s a seasoned player and Balta a kid who was then axed. So how did you come to the analogy of us wanting to play four new young faces bright one?Also what relevance does it have with Mav being s**t?
Think his tongue was firmly in his cheek, TI.

What you see with Weller is what you will get , 10 years and dropped from 2 bottom sides says to me he is a marginal player that is not going to improve our team. Should be a good VFL player but when we start recruiting players to make our VFL side good means we have taken our eyes off the ball.

Thomson,Hislop,Hunt,Weller,Young ..................... Fits in with that group

What you see with Weller is what you will get , 10 years and dropped from 2 bottom sides says to me he is a marginal player that is not going to improve our team. Should be a good VFL player but when we start recruiting players to make our VFL side good means we have taken our eyes off the ball.

Thomson,Hislop,Hunt,Weller,Young ..................... Fits in with that group
Pretty sure nobody expected Weller to improve our team, in fact I'm pretty sure most people see him for what he is, a depth player that was recruited as cover in case we needed someone with a ready to go body to come in and play a role for a few weeks. Hence I'm surprised that he is drawing as much heat as he is. If Weller is our biggest issue right now then we're in better condition that the media and some supporters think.

Alot of experience is now unavailable.
I didn’t see his experience being an asset as he pulled out of contests and waited for an easy ball. Experience is useless if it’s bad and secondly if you can’t lead by example. It’s like a kid doing an apprenticeship under a poor tradesman. It never works and we’ve had three decades of seeing depth/ role players come and go to tell us this.

I didn’t see his experience being an asset as he pulled out of contests and waited for an easy ball. Experience is useless if it’s bad and secondly if you can’t lead by example. It’s like a kid doing an apprenticeship under a poor tradesman. It never works and we’ve had three decades of seeing depth/ role players come and go to tell us this.
Understand what ya saying.But I'd rather burn him than a kid atm.Considering the serious stuff in the vfl hasn't started yet to get a better gauge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back