Welcome Welcome to Richmond Pick 17 - Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Ronke had about four Joe the Goose goals in that first one.

FTFY mate...don't want to see you in legal difficulties for undermining the man's post-football earning capacity...

acb998750e98a4a892bf25cc4c4da6b4

Griffen at 3
Tambling at 4
Buddy at 5
I think we then picked Meyer at 12
then Pattison at 20

We fcuked that draft royally
Having experienced the glorious 2017-2020 based on the guns we drafted early due to being hopeless from 2006-2010, I wouldn't change a single thing. ;)

Buddy at Tigerland might've ruined that.

Is it bad drafting or bad player development? Or both?

Either way something went wrong.
Overall was a real ordinary draft barring a handful of players. Our player development and culture was horrendous back then. Tambling should have had a much more decorated career. As a junior he was elite. Myers and Polo should have played a lot more too with the talent they had. I would even go as far to say Deledio whilst had a great career could have went to another level at a better club (at the time).

Overall was a real ordinary draft barring a handful of players. Our player development and culture was horrendous back then. Tambling should have had a much more decorated career. As a junior he was elite. Myers and Polo should have played a lot more too with the talent they had. I would even go as far to say Deledio whilst had a great career could have went to another level at a better club (at the time).
Interesting thought that came into my mind after reading the names you mention

Just imagine if Myers , Polo , Tambling were playing in a team with the game plan of Richmond in 2017 - 2020
They would most likely have been pretty good players that would have suited the game plan

Noticed Brown is listed at 193cm on Richmond FC site, versus the 186cm he was listed as when he was drafted. Has he grown 7cm or is that a mistake? I know we like to turn half backs into KPDs but geez, that was some impressive crystal balling from our FD. Maybe he can grow another 7 and become our ruckman
Well we drafted him to become our Tom Stewart and he is 190cm 89kgs
So our Tom must be bigger faster stronger and more athletic 193cm 81kgs (should get to 90kgs by next season)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed Brown is listed at 193cm on Richmond FC site, versus the 186cm he was listed as when he was drafted. Has he grown 7cm or is that a mistake? I know we like to turn half backs into KPDs but geez, that was some impressive crystal balling from our FD. Maybe he can grow another 7 and become our ruckman
Yep

Well we drafted him to become our Tom Stewart and he is 190cm 89kgs
So our Tom must be bigger faster stronger and more athletic 193cm 81kgs (should get to 90kgs by next season)
Well he had a standing vertical leap of about 75cm (higher than Gibcus from memory) and a 20m sprint in the 2.9s so he is taller, faster and higher lol

Well he had a standing vertical leap of about 75cm (higher than Gibcus from memory) and a 20m sprint in the 2.9s so he is taller, faster and higher lol
Fact is we have so many young players that we really dont know yet what we have and what they will become
Campbell , Green , Smith , Sonsie , Clarke , Gibcus , Bradtke , Coulthard , Brown , Trezise etc

If we can get 3-4 players like Short , Grimes , Shai , Vlastuin types combined with 1-2 free agent additions we could be back competing in 2 years time

HUGE bust by us

Amplified by a factor of 10 due to the fact we avoided the player we needed most, JVR

May end up costing Clarke his job
Wait a minute, did Jacob van Rooyen go AFTER our second first-round pick in that draft?? I thought he was picked between our Gibcus and Brown picks this whole time

HUGE bust by us

Amplified by a factor of 10 due to the fact we avoided the player we needed most, JVR

May end up costing Clarke his job

Christ.

Not just a bust but a HUGE bust after playing his first game of the season after having five months off in his second year in AFL football?

Come off it.

If every AFL Head of Recruitment would lose their job after a player selected a few picks after them had a better start to their career after 1.5 seasons, there would be none left.

I’m also going to stick my neck out. Bookmark this post, Van Rooyen won’t improve much from his point on.

He has all the hallmarks of Jack Graham’s early career. Physically dominant for a player his age, comes on and we all go “wow” (Graham was the betters favorite to win the Rising Star in 2018) when they play well so early in their career, but they have a low development arc because they’re already tapped out physically.

I don’t want any kid to fail regardless of club, so I hope I’m wrong. But I know multiple teams had concerns with Van Rooyan’s development trajectory.

Ultimately, we need to stop this outlandish notion that Brown’s career should be defined by another player. Let’s actually give him some time to develop before we throw around silly words like bust.

Yeah he was passed up 20 times
Yeah but van Rooyen would’ve been a really decent (if not good) replacement to Jack Riewoldt.

I recall wanting him with our second pick but must’ve forgotten that he was passed on with our second pick over the years. I remember melting hard about Brown’s pick, but I don’t really recall which player I really wanted instead.

Oh well, I’m happy with Gibcus, Banks, and Clarke. Despite me not rating his efforts much, I still understand why we picked Sonsie. I still don’t understand the Brown pick, but I’ll wait to see what happens before making my assessment on the pick.

Christ.

Not just a bust but a HUGE bust after playing his first game of the season after having five months off in his second year in AFL football?

Come off it.

If every AFL Head of Recruitment would lose their job after a player selected a few picks after them had a better start to their career after 1.5 seasons, there would be none left.

I’m also going to stick my neck out. Bookmark this post, Van Rooyen won’t improve much from his point on.

He has all the hallmarks of Jack Graham’s early career. Physically dominant for a player his age, comes on and we all go “wow” (Graham was the betters favorite to win the Rising Star in 2018) when they play well so early in their career, but they have a low development arc because they’re already tapped out physically.

I don’t want any kid to fail regardless of club, so I hope I’m wrong. But I know multiple teams had concerns with Van Rooyan’s development trajectory.

Ultimately, we need to stop this outlandish notion that Brown’s career should be defined by another player. Let’s actually give him some time to develop before we throw around silly words like bust.

If you really think that on exposed form , knowing what we know right now , Richmond would still take brown over jvr, you are either deluded , or a full blood relative of brown

He was a reach then and a bust now , things can change ? But it would require a miracle .

Brown can barely get a touch in the Vfl , jvr just won the rising star , they are miles and miles apart , and jvr would fill our biggest list need

A disaster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back