Welcome Welcome to Richmond Pick 17 - Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

If you really think that on exposed form , knowing what we know right now , Richmond would still take brown over jvr, you are either deluded , or a full blood relative of brown

He was a reach then and a bust now , things can change ? But it would require a miracle .

Brown can barely get a touch in the Vfl , jvr just won the rising star , they are miles and miles apart , and jvr would fill our biggest list need

A disaster

‘Exposed form’ is a season and a half? ’Exposed form’ is where for one of the two being compared, he played his first game of competitive football in five months?

That is not now nor has it ever been a basis for making a sound judgements. Let alone how anyone’s career is going to pan out.

JVR won a rising star nomination. One that’s given out at the end of every round. Let’s not make it bigger than what it really is.

Rhys Palmer actually won a Rising Star award. As did Lewis Taylor. Neither of those two we look back on as any great talent. But no one thought that 1.5 seasons into their careers.

But apparently that’s enough time to label someone a bust.

If you really think that on exposed form , knowing what we know right now , Richmond would still take brown over jvr, you are either deluded , or a full blood relative of brown

He was a reach then and a bust now , things can change ? But it would require a miracle .

Brown can barely get a touch in the Vfl , jvr just won the rising star , they are miles and miles apart , and jvr would fill our biggest list need

A disaster
Not a fair comparison. Tom Brown has been injured all season.

Sydney & Geelong -two clubs practically synonomous with good recruiting- both wanted Brown so he was hardly a "reach". (FWIW I wanted JVR as well or Bazzo if he was gone and was also incredulous when we took Brown and didn't take at least one KPF - but as they say in the classics spilt ******* milk.)

Whats the obsession with JVR? I think the bigger loss for us is Max Holmes.

That's a lot of pressure on Brown, but I have faith that he will come good.
JVR fills the biggest hole on the list, and arguably we didn't and still don't need medium defenders.

Anyway, hopefully Brown gets a run at it, he's been stalled by injury which is disappointing, haven't been able to make an assesment. Let's hope in the back half of the year he plays some good VFL footy and with any luck he might push for a late season token debut game.

Max Holmes looks awesome, but I don’t think he was any radar screen other than Geelong?

Only issue I have with the Holmes/swap of first round picks, is that we seemed to nice in the negotiations. If they were so keen on him, we needed to push for a second rounder too, not just a swap of picks. Sometimes we are to accomodating.
* them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ.

Not just a bust but a HUGE bust after playing his first game of the season after having five months off in his second year in AFL football?

Come off it.

If every AFL Head of Recruitment would lose their job after a player selected a few picks after them had a better start to their career after 1.5 seasons, there would be none left.

I’m also going to stick my neck out. Bookmark this post, Van Rooyen won’t improve much from his point on.

He has all the hallmarks of Jack Graham’s early career. Physically dominant for a player his age, comes on and we all go “wow” (Graham was the betters favorite to win the Rising Star in 2018) when they play well so early in their career, but they have a low development arc because they’re already tapped out physically.

I don’t want any kid to fail regardless of club, so I hope I’m wrong. But I know multiple teams had concerns with Van Rooyan’s development trajectory.

Ultimately, we need to stop this outlandish notion that Brown’s career should be defined by another player. Let’s actually give him some time to develop before we throw around silly words like bust.
I totally agree. He has had a bad wrist injury and is only now back in action. He might end up being a very good player for us.

I wouldnt be judging Brown on what he produces this year as a guide to his value with an interrupted preseason and season
His tank was not huge during preseason and will need another to build to a good level and get over injuries and adapt to his current size/height.

Lets see how he goes in 2024 and the same goes for Sonsie , Campbell , Smith & Green

Not a fair comparison. Tom Brown has been injured all season.
Life is not fair, and this is not about Brown, it's about our complete miss on Van Rooyen, when our biggest need out of that draft.

VR had only kicked 24 goals in his last 4 games before the draft including the winning goal in the pre grand final match.

Epic draft fail

Life is not fair, and this is not about Brown, it's about our complete miss on Van Rooyen, when our biggest need out of that draft.

VR had only kicked 24 goals in his last 4 games before the draft including the winning goal in the pre grand final match.

Epic draft fail
Never too late

ClaremontTall Forward

#28​

Sam van Rooyen​

height: 192cm
weight: 84kg
D.O.B: 24-02-2005

Great move by the recruiting department to pass on Old Van Rooyen to leave room in our list profile for the younger, faster, more athletic Sam version lol
SVR sounds better than a video player JVR

SVR
1686062985091.jpeg

JVR
images

He looked bloody good in that pre season game before he got hurt. Sort of amazed that the performance gets totally forgotten
He was getting the George treatment last season as too slow but was caring nagly injuries throughout and yes did show up pre season only to go down again this time by not playing. Wonder what his body is like. Geesook were peed of we got him so must be something there lets hope like Cochin early doors he can overcome injuries as we cant get enough coming through that are any good.

I have see F all of Brown play, on the snippets I have seen, he seems very laconic and these types of players are often maligned.

Can anyone add an informed opinion on his bravery and desperation in a contest? I see alot of talk that he will replace Vlas or similar, so without these attributes, he aint gonna make it in that role.

I have see F all of Brown play, on the snippets I have seen, he seems very laconic and these types of players are often maligned.

Can anyone add an informed opinion on his bravery and desperation in a contest? I see alot of talk that he will replace Vlas or similar, so without these attributes, he aint gonna make it in that role.
He has always been an outside receiver off half back, exceptional once he has the ball in hand but sits outside the contest, maybe more like Houli in his early days, definitely not Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back