Welcome Welcome to Richmond Pick 17 - Tom Brown

Geelong supporter rang wheatley on sen and complained about father son rule,,,should be changed to 9 seasons, instead of 100 games so tom Brown could have been drafted by cats,,,its not right Gerard
The club that has benefitted most from the absolutely ridiculous father/son rule?

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Unlike a lot of posters here I don't pretend to have inside info because I don't.

I just think you are full of sh*t.
Look stop behaving like a self confessed moron as I never made out I had inside information. This was your ineptness to correctly read a simple post. Now stop the abuse as this is a forum for all of us to give our opinions. Heaven forbid if all posters were like you. These forums are special to us all bc it's about our beloved club and people see things differently. If you want to hurl out abuse I suggest you reside with the bums at 55 King St. Melbourne in front of the VCAT building and as people walk by yell out for a dollar. Then if they decline you can continue venting your abuse on them rather than carrying on like a fool on here.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Feels like a top-10 quality mid like Hobbs, who averaged 30 touches even off an ankle injury, would have slotted straight into our 22 and leapfrogged RCD, clearly improving us on our 2021 output despite only being an 18 year old. It's that sort of mid that we needed now and for the future.

Whelp feels doesn’t make it a definite.

Its Gibcus vs Hobbs, can’t complain that we got an ultra athletic tall that other teams tried to jump in front of us to get.

Like I said, our midfield problems are unlikely to be solved by most first year players in any draft ever. There is only a handful of players like that. Is RCD or Ross the guy? I don’t know, but they’ve had 3-4 years to get their bodies ready for the rigors of an AFL season, I’ll back that in over 99% of 18 year old draftees.

I also think our midfield problems will be helped by having Nank/Soldo available, we’re only just over 12 months removed from obliterating teams in clearances during a finals series.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Whelp feels doesn’t make it a definite.

Its Gibcus vs Hobbs, can’t complain that we got an ultra athletic tall that other teams tried to jump in front of us to get.

Like I said, our midfield problems are unlikely to be solved by most first year players in any draft ever. There is only a handful of players like that. Is RCD or Ross the guy? I don’t know, but they’ve had 3-4 years to get their bodies ready for the rigors of an AFL season, I’ll back that in over 99% of 18 year old draftees.

I also think our midfield problems will be helped by having Nank/Soldo available, we’re only just over 12 months removed from obliterating teams in clearances during a finals series.
Fair points :)

Also, on Brown, does he have a bit of the Luke Hodge about him... :oops:

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Even in the first two years, they are unlikely to impact, especially since they have not had the development in the last 2 years due to COVID. Tom Brown has speed and agility which the club obviously valued more at that stage than midfield grunt. We can still pick up a quality mid with one of our next picks.

Which quality mid are you thinking of?
[/QUOTE]
Out of who is left there are a few who could step up.
Matty Johnson
Tyler Sonsie
Zac Taylor
Arlo Draper (can play anywhere including mid)
Mitch Knevitt
Matty Roberts
Josh Goater
Sam Butler can play through the midfield too.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
And tell me the last time a mid that was selected outside the top 5 had such an impact in their first year that they changed the course of their club? It's ridiculous to suggest that any 19 year old other than a freak will do that. The only ones with those credentials this year went in 3 of the top 4 picks and even then, none of them are dead certs to do a Chris Judd.
Reckon North got the next one.

Mar 14, 2009
MCG
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham
Feels like a top-10 quality mid like Hobbs, who averaged 30 touches even off an ankle injury, would have slotted straight into our 22 and leapfrogged RCD, clearly improving us on our 2021 output despite only being an 18 year old. It's that sort of mid that we needed now and for the future.

Club likely sees the forest from the trees.

This is not a premiership list for 2022, even with Hobbs. Talent being equal or close, you always take the key position player.

I would've taken a mid with our second pick. But could also depend what mids will slide to 20's picks. Not optimistic Sonsie or Johnson will but who knows.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Look stop behaving like a self confessed moron as I never made out I had inside information. This was your ineptness to correctly read a simple post. Now stop the abuse as this is a forum for all of us to give our opinions. Heaven forbid if all posters were like you. These forums are special to us all bc it's about beloved club and people see things differently. If you want to hurl out abuse I suggest you reside with the bums at 55 King St. Melbourne in front of the VCAT building and as people walk by yell out for a dollar. Then if they decline you can continue venting your abuse on them rather than carrying on like a fool on here.
Country life has made you soft.

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
Picking Brown doesn't appear to be too much of a stretch for our pick. He may not be a "need", but the club thinks he's the best available (and I think he is a good pick up after looking at hi s profile). It appears there were several clubs interested in him soon after our pick.

Admittedly the main thing that put me off him is his name. It reminds me of Mr Melbourne Uni.

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
maybe we picked this young man because
Murray Bushrangers talent Tom Brown is an exciting prospect who possess “mercurial-type ability” through traffic, according to Kevin Sheehan.
“This kid has got some mercurial-type ability through traffic.
“When he comes off half-back or plays half-forward, he just steps through them as if they’re not there at times.
“He’s got great speed, breaks away on many, many occasions as well.”
just saying :)

Brown might end up a forward, who knows.

George was a defender. Short a forward iirc

Wing would be handy

Nebular

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Look stop behaving like a self confessed moron as I never made out I had inside information. This was your ineptness to correctly read a simple post. Now stop the abuse as this is a forum for all of us to give our opinions. Heaven forbid if all posters were like you. These forums are special to us all bc it's about our beloved club and people see things differently. If you want to hurl out abuse I suggest you reside with the bums at 55 King St. Melbourne in front of the VCAT building and as people walk by yell out for a dollar. Then if they decline you can continue venting your abuse on them rather than carrying on like a fool on here.
Nice melt.

How is what I said abuse?

Triggered much?

richard parker

The Killer Bees
Feb 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
The other clubs that were keen on brown all have excellent drafting histories too and/or are copying everything about us eg. Demons. I love the confidence to get in there in front of some of our nemeses and highly rated recruiting teams. Some real niggle developing between us and Sydney, Geelong and AFL headquarters. We finally have a bit of swagger as a club and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling in my gut. Was over being everyone’s bunny for so long. Keep going tiges!!!

I have no issue with the player, could be a star for all I know, it just seems an odd positional pick to me.

That said, there are heaps of the mids left that many had us taking with this pick.

Knevitt or Goater and Butler please.

Sounds like there was a lot of love for brown at picks 18 and 19

That's interesting. He was always a 30+ in the draft watchers lists. But obviously the pros thought he has a lot of upside.

I can see where we want an upgrade on KMac and Picket, and he is that.

Back