Welcome Welcome to Richmond Pick 17 - Tom Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

That's interesting. He was always a 30+ in the draft watchers lists. But obviously the pros thought he has a lot of upside.

I can see where we want an upgrade on KMac and Picket, and he is that.
Hugo and Tom the future wingers maybe?

whats the fuss about. kid looks like a gun. whos to say he doesnt end up as a mid?

the fact at least two other clubs, right after our picks wanted him suggests maybe, just maybe, our boys know what they are doing.

WC didn't even pick Johnson - went a Vic mid instead. Let's see who we end up with tonight.

Plus - if RCD/Dow/Ross get a clearance or goal in Q1 of next year suddenly all our problems will be solved. For god's sake those boys are just getting started and clearly have some potential. patience is a virtue

The vein would have been popping out of horses head. I can envisage one of those game day sprays where he covers his mouth with his hand

If you have access to watch the replay of last nights Fox coverage is a LOL moment.

When they switch to the swans room Horse is on the laptop looking mighty pee'd while the recruiting team look like they've just been handed a shite sandwich without the bread by the Marvel catering team.

Don't know much about Brown, like others I was hoping for a mid, hopefully that can still be addressed with the later picks.

Looks handy, good to hear Swans and Dee's were both keen on him as their strike rate recently has been tops.

Wouldn't mind seeing him start off as a winger, can transition back after some of the old guard hang up the boots.

good skills… 1 grab. mark
reads the play very well
calm…can kick…lots to like

go well Tom

Yes TB reads the flight of the footy in the air really well...composed unflustered player...competent kick...
Going to be our Lever type in the backline easily...
Not sure what TB is like getting the hardball...

Hugo and Tom the future wingers maybe?

I would guess that you are correct.

We've heard that the club sees the skill levels in our wings as a problem. KMac and Marlion are great, but not exactly pin point. So as they slowly get older and leave the stage we have high end athletes with great kicking to take over.

If young Tom can get some of KMac's campaigner into him, then we are set.

I would guess that you are correct.

We've heard that the club sees the skill levels in our wings as a problem. KMac and Marlion are great, but not exactly pin point. So as they slowly get older and leave the stage we have high end athletes with great kicking to take over.

If young Tom can get some of KMac's campaigner into him, then we are set.

You could argue the wing is the weakest aspect in the short term too. No disrespect to caddy. Ralphsmith. Pickett. Macca.

People say midfield but cotchin. Prestia. Dusty. Edwards still on the list. + Bolton. Rcd looked alright until being forced out of the guts to returning senior players

Last edited:
And breaking into a senior side with a midfield of Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Edwards, Lambert and Bolton is a big ask. Why do you think they tried to turn Ross into a half back, because the midfield was chockers even though his debut season was very impressive and they wanted to keep him in the senior side.

It didn't turn out that way, back in the middle for the last game and was perhaps our best player that game. He and RCD in particualr but also Dow, Cumberland and Ralph Smith will be red hot hungry this year, Ross looked in great shape on that video earlier in the week. The club will back them this year, given they haven't taken a mid for their position yet it very much seems that way.
You agreeing or disagreeing ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which quality mid are you thinking of?
Out of who is left there are a few who could step up.
Matty Johnson
Tyler Sonsie
Zac Taylor
Arlo Draper (can play anywhere including mid)
Mitch Knevitt
Matty Roberts
Josh Goater
Sam Butler can play through the midfield too.
[/QUOTE]
And there are 7 picks before us and other players to be selected outside that group, so can expect at least two to be there.
Nice!

You could argue the wing is the weakest aspect in the short term too. No disrespect to caddy. Ralphsmith. Pickett. Macca.

People say midfield but cotchin. Prestia. Dusty still on the list. + Bolton. Rcd looked alright until being forced out of the guts to returning senior players

Completely agree. Wings are our main area, not of weakness, but where we can improve.

If RCD can take what he showed last year and step it up the next level (run his legs hard Lambo) then he's B grade inside mid, with an outside potential. Dow has some amazing traits, and another year. Ross needs to play to his high end rather than the patchy stuff he delivers too often. So these emerging guys could provide genuine depth to an elite midfield.

Cotch gets fit and stays fit, ditto Prestia, ditto Dusty, Shai takes it up one more step (Oh what a lovely thought 20+ possessions & >1 goals per game), Nank and Ivan go back to being dominant and that is a top tier midfield. Maybe only for another year or two, but it is very very good.

You can't say, what if they get injured? That happens and any team goes down the gurgler. Plan for success, and see where you end up.

Out of who is left there are a few who could step up.
Matty Johnson
Tyler Sonsie
Zac Taylor
Arlo Draper (can play anywhere including mid)
Mitch Knevitt
Matty Roberts
Josh Goater
Sam Butler can play through the midfield too.
And there are 7 picks before us and other players to be selected outside that group, so can expect at least two to be there.
Nice!
[/QUOTE]

That is so very tasty. We could end up with some really solid midfield talent today. Which what I really want now. Don't want a 2nd tier tall (unless the club thinks they are really top tier, and they aren't rated)

Not sure if this has been mentioned but shifter Sheehan had him as one of his two smokies, with Erasmus, to be best in draft after Horne-Francis and Daicos (or at least that’s how I read it) https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/29/sheehans-two-smokeys-in-this-years-national-draft/

Some of his attributes remind me of Shedda - quick, slick in traffic, footy smarts, clean hands, and great vision. Much better kick than Shedda from the sounds of it but probably doesn’t quite have Shedda’s handballing ability which is up there with the all time greats, but still sounds like a ripping prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Fine Richmond, you win. There is just too much evidence pointing towards Brown being a good selection.

What am I supposed to do with the narrative that Richmond stuffed up now lol

Outside of Vlastuin, the club really haven’t had many genuine midsized defender options sized between 183cm and 189cm.

We have quite a few small rebounding defenders, but they all have a very limited overhead marking and intercepting ability, Tom Brown is a type of player the club really doesn’t have so I’m excited to see us target and bring him on. He comes from a fantastic footballing family and appears to have a very good head on his shoulders.

Welcome to Tigerland Tom!

Don't know much about Brown, like others I was hoping for a mid, hopefully that can still be addressed with the later picks.

Looks handy, good to hear Swans and Dee's were both keen on him as their strike rate recently has been tops.

Wouldn't mind seeing him start off as a winger, can transition back after some of the old guard hang up the boots.
same here. i'll back in the recruiters. would have liked hobbs.

whats the fuss about. kid looks like a gun. whos to say he doesnt end up as a mid?

the fact at least two other clubs, right after our picks wanted him suggests maybe, just maybe, our boys know what they are doing.

WC didn't even pick Johnson - went a Vic mid instead. Let's see who we end up with tonight.

Plus - if RCD/Dow/Ross get a clearance or goal in Q1 of next year suddenly all our problems will be solved. For god's sake those boys are just getting started and clearly have some potential. patience is a virtue

I'd say Richmond may have a type they were targeting. You guys were well into Will Day a few seasons ago, and Brown is a similar player.

14. Tom Brown
Tom Brown is a complete footballer who does just about everything at a high level. He's super smooth, never rushed and it always feels like he's in control when he has the ball in his hands. He's a good disposer by hand and foot and has an accurate, penetrating kick. He's strong one on one and in the contest, he's capable of winning the contested footy but then accumulates well on the outside. He appears a great leader across half back but looks capable as a winger or midfielder at the next level. I see shades of Dan Houston in his game and think he's a very safe selection to be a good AFL player.

14. Tom Brown
Tom Brown is a complete footballer who does just about everything at a high level. He's super smooth, never rushed and it always feels like he's in control when he has the ball in his hands. He's a good disposer by hand and foot and has an accurate, penetrating kick. He's strong one on one and in the contest, he's capable of winning the contested footy but then accumulates well on the outside. He appears a great leader across half back but looks capable as a winger or midfielder at the next level. I see shades of Dan Houston in his game and think he's a very safe selection to be a good AFL player.

Yeah, the more I read and see on him the more I actually like.

Knightmare had him 22nd in the his first phantom and 18th in the 2nd. Few others had him around 20-25.

So definitely talent wise it's not a reach. I think people were just desperately set on a mid here after a KPP and so was I. Fingers crossed a couple slip to our next pick to round out this draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back