Player Watch Welcome to Richmond - Pick #17 (traded to Geelong for future 1st)

Remove this Banner Ad

So what exactly are our picks looking like next year?

1st Round
- Richmond (Pick 14-18)
- Geelong (Pick 14-18)

2nd Round
- St. KILDA (Pick 26-36
- Richmond (Pick 32-36)

3rd Round
- Gold Coast (Pick 37- 45)
- Richmond (Pick 50-54)

Going off this year, we could go into a loaded draft with,

Picks 17, 18, 30, 36, 39, 54

I would be shitting myself if I was Noah Cumberland, Marbiol Chol, Patty Naish, Ben Miller, Callum Coleman Jones, Sydney Stack, Ryan Garthwaite, Will Martyr and Hugo Ralphsmith.

Richmond will use all those picks next year in the 'superdraft'

All those picks also gives us lots of possibilities to trade up, either with swaps (we give 2 for a better pick) or through player trades.

I like the idea of building up the future trades, in what could be a better draft year. We have a pretty strong list right now, with a number of players not being able to break into the team, or stay in as best 22. Unfortunately I don't think the cats will slide next year, to get an unexpected bonus. We can live in hope. We may be able to bundle up some of those future picks, up-trade, and have a genuine crack at a bigger fish.

So what exactly are our picks looking like next year?

1st Round
- Richmond (Pick 14-18)
- Geelong (Pick 14-18)

2nd Round
- St. KILDA (Pick 26-36
- Richmond (Pick 32-36)

3rd Round
- Gold Coast (Pick 37- 45)
- Richmond (Pick 50-54)

Going off this year, we could go into a loaded draft with,

Picks 17, 18, 30, 36, 39, 54

I would be shitting myself if I was Noah Cumberland, Marbiol Chol, Patty Naish, Ben Miller, Callum Coleman Jones, Sydney Stack, Ryan Garthwaite, Will Martyr and Hugo Ralphsmith.

Richmond will use all those picks next year in the 'superdraft'

I certainly hope you are right and we don't succumb to the temptation of throwing them all away on some 'big fish' that is superfluous to our needs (obviously for a Ben King of course all bets are off). Five picks in the top forty in a draft rated the best since the 2001 Super draft is transformative. With a comparable number of picks remember how 2001 set up Geelong for a decade. It's a mini-rebuild in the making, a rare opportunity for a club as successful as ours and just when a number of our stars will probably be retiring.

The fact that we almost ignored yesterdays draft is a pretty good indication we are going to go very hard next year. Exciting times ahead and boy won't the draft threads be fun to read come November/December!!!

Last edited:
Most of the kids from victoria that were drafted were due to performances based on their 17th year 2019
usually in previous drafts there are between 10-20 players that develop to a stage where they are draftable in their 18th year with 4-5 bolting up to become 1st rounders which couldnt happen this year. Now if we combine that with the 17 year olds in 2021 there will be a good 50 players that would be in the top 20-30 range in normal years.

If our scouting is good and we recruit well we could possibly pick up 3-4 top end players and i wouldnt be trading out the picks for players
Draft & Free agency is the way of our future

Lets not kid ourselves cats will be finishing top 4 guaranteed and most likely GF with the team they have assembled for the Now so lets just call it pick #17
there will be 1-2 father sons and will end up a trade like 20 for 20 in a better deeper draft which suits us and by the what we have done in the rookie and national draft its looking like we are also saving cap space.

We will most likely take our picks next year with an eye on rebuild of sorts whilst working on free agents to replace our Cotchin/Jack/Grimes types

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly hope you are right and we don't succumb to the temptation of throwing them all away on some 'big fish' that is superfluous to our needs (obviously for a Ben King of course all bets are off). Five picks in the top forty in a draft rated the best since the 2001 Super draft is transformative. With a comparable number of picks remember how 2001 set up Geelong for a decade. It's a mini-rebuild in the making, a rare opportunity for a club as successful as ours and just when a number of our stars will probably be retiring.

The fact that we almost ignored yesterdays draft is a pretty good indication we are going to go very hard next year. Exciting times ahead and boy won't the draft threads be fun to read come November/December!!!

Bont. Cripps. Merrertt. Laird. Billings. Etc. Are free agents. Get one of those FA and keep the draft picks IMHO... Might set up the club for another era of domination

Great hand to go into next years draft. 6 picks inside 50 gives us the opportunity to draft, trade or both some real talent in.

As Clarke said once the players we rated were gone on Wednesday night the best move was to trade into a stronger and less compromised 2021 draft.

2021 could be the year that we reload with talent giving us every opportunity to win more silverware over the next 5 plus years

Better hope Geelong finish way down the ladder next year!
Why ? We gave up Pick 20 in a lousy draft for their first in a (likely) hot draft. With all of our young kids gunning for gametime this is a great move. It's a no lose situation. Then if the Cats do finish lower down (not expected by many) it will just be a huge bonus.

Strstegy for next year if Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin retire is to get in 2 free agents then go to thd draft with all our picks and pick up kids in the draft. That type of strategy sets us up for the 5 to 10 years of further success.

Geelong can finish first on the ladder for all I care, they have history of going out in straight sets come finals - Even that is a trade win for us.

The MCG is back and they get exposed on the spread.
It's actually tied to where they finish after finals. Nonetheless, there will be no NGA or Academy bidding in the 1st round, so no where near as compromised as this years draft. Even after they finish as runners up we'll still get pick 17 in a better draft with more opportunity to assess players (providing Covid doesn't * the show)

It's actually tied to where they finish after finals. Nonetheless, there will be no NGA or Academy bidding in the 1st round, so no where near as compromised as this years draft. Even after they finish as runners up we'll still get pick 17 in a better draft with more opportunity to assess players (providing Covid doesn't fu** the show)
The only addition will be Nik Daicos i believe as father / son unless there are other's that have not shown their abilities due to covid
but basically the worst case scenario is pick 20 for picks 20 in a deeper better draft where pick 20 is roughly pick 10-12 range quality of 2020.

But im kind of happy Hollands ended up at the GC as i think we might have a real chance of getting this kid in a few years when we will need top tier talent
Get to work blair and let him know we have his dads old Guernsey number #43 available now ;)

Or he can just take numbers 2 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 12 but he will have to wait 5/6 years to get #4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back