Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he may struggle with his own expectations. Road to the draft on Amazon was a bit of a head scratcher. Not sure why he was so upset when his mate got picked by the Hawks before him.

I'm hoping its not an entitlement thing, will be very hard for the club to manage. At the same time I probably interpreted it all wrong. Have heard nothing else on that incident.
I think his management group family had hyped that Hawks pick up to be him getting selected so there was a lot of expectation internally for him to be picked there. Bit of a slap in the face that they took his mate sitting next to him.

Noticed he was consoled by several team mates on the weekend and looked quite upset, not sure
if that was only due to being tagged. Only speculating but maybe 'challenges' means personal issues as well.

If he is upset about not playing well, that's a good thing

Tyler Sonsie (12 disposals, two clearances)

"After a quiet week last week, Tyler had challenges throughout the match. Rarely would you see a first-year player play to the level of footy that he has this year, and I think the last couple of weeks will be really great for his long-term development."

This kid has been getting tagged or at least extra work being put into him. That is a great sign for him and it gives him a chance to learn how to contribute when he is not just gaining possession at will. Interesting to see how he fights through this challenge and whether it continues.

I often wonder if AFL reserves teams sometimes put in a friendly request to the oppo to put some extra work into this type of player for his development…probably wouldn’t happen but you never know. 😁

Genuine talent. And he is having to do he hard work to play VFL this year. Could be the making of him development wise - like with Shai. Didn't get teh games his talent deserved and made him a much better player.

I think he may struggle with his own expectations. Road to the draft on Amazon was a bit of a head scratcher. Not sure why he was so upset when his mate got picked by the Hawks before him.

I'm hoping its not an entitlement thing, will be very hard for the club to manage. At the same time I probably interpreted it all wrong. Have heard nothing else on that incident.

From what I've read he did have a few tickets on himself. Rated as top 5, maybe top 1 player going into 2021. Knows he is elite. So he probably felt really down and p*ssed that he lasted til he did. Probably happy to get to us though :cool: (Imagine landing at North).

I suspect he is still adjusting to being a small fish in a big pond, and not the natural first picked on the team. In fact not even being picked at all yet. Now other teams are gunning for him, big opportunity to learn and grow as a person and footballer.

He got tagged by Liam Shiels 2 weeks ago..
says it all
Gun

He got tagged by Liam Shiels 2 weeks ago..
says it all
Gun
Was it a hard tag? Shiels has done the job on A graders playing AFL so the fact Sonsie still got a few touches bodes well.

This kid is not as good as Judson Clarke or Tom Brown.
A bit too hyped up.
Tom Brown is one to watch.
The fact that he has been tagged at VFL level by an AFL tagger, speaks volumes of his ability and potential. I think Clarke will be a great Lambert replacement eventually, and Brown a decent Broad substitute but Sonsie could be an inside/outside midfielder with skills to burn.

I actually think the coaches know that and appreciate that he still has a few deficiencies with his fitness, defensive running and drive. All of these are relatively easily educated but if they rush him into the AFL team and he struggles, he might lose the confidence he needs to establish himself.

I am very optimistic of Sonsie but we don't need to rush him into the side. Make him hungry for it, make him prepared for it and make him confident for it. Someone who is a natural dual sided footballer who can win his own ball, thread through traffic and is a goal kicker, is definitely an asset to our side moving forward.

The fact that he has been tagged at VFL level by an AFL tagger, speaks volumes of his ability and potential. I think Clarke will be a great Lambert replacement eventually, and Brown a decent Broad substitute but Sonsie could be an inside/outside midfielder with skills to burn.

I actually think the coaches know that and appreciate that he still has a few deficiencies with his fitness, defensive running and drive. All of these are relatively easily educated but if they rush him into the AFL team and he struggles, he might lose the confidence he needs to establish himself.

I am very optimistic of Sonsie but we don't need to rush him into the side. Make him hungry for it, make him prepared for it and make him confident for it. Someone who is a natural dual sided footballer who can win his own ball, thread through traffic and is a goal kicker, is definitely an asset to our side moving forward.
And Dimma has talked him up a fair bit in pressers too. Matty Clarke a huge wrap for him at the draft too. Like you, I’m a huge fan of this kid, could be a star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The inside knock on Sonsie at draft time that I had heard is that he was an essentially nonexistent defensive runner. When his Eastern Rangers coaches made comment on it, it was largely ignored.

We’ve seen a few VFL reports mention something similar (re:defensive running). No doubt he has talent to play AFL level, but wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see him at all this season unless that part of his game consistently improves.

The inside knock on Sonsie at draft time that I had heard is that he was an essentially nonexistent defensive runner. When his Eastern Rangers coaches made comment on it, it was largely ignored.

We’ve seen a few VFL reports mention something similar (re:defensive running). No doubt he has talent to play AFL level, but wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see him at all this season unless that part of his game consistently improves.
Parker has a lot of deficiencies, but I did notice him doing this really well last time I saw him in the VFL. Not sure if he was playing wing or HFF, but he was pashing back hard and very good defensively. I assume that is what Sonsie is not doing well enough yet.
Early days as a 1st year player though. Another pre-season building a tank in a professional training environment and we'll see next year. Showed a fair bit so far already though.

are we destroying an offensive weapon by pushing him to be more defensively accountable?

dont we have enough defensive minded players already?

dusty hasnt exactly been defensive over the years? Sonsise isnt on his level but we have very few damaging mids after dusty

Parish, Merrett, Devon Smith and Shiel from the Druggies are similarly offensive players to Sonsie with zero defensive running and they are ineffective at AFL level.

If he can't learn to win his own ball and chase down his opponent then he won't play seniors under Dimma

are we destroying an offensive weapon by pushing him to be more defensively accountable?

dusty hasnt exactly been defensive over the years? Sonsise isnt on his level but we have very few damaging mids after dusty

Think the post below this answers it, but Essendon are probably the prime example of offensive minded mids only and how it negatively affects teams in modern footy.

In our prime we were the best midfield pressure team in the comp. It’s no coincidence that as that’s dropped off over the last two years, our back line which has had so much ‘dirty ball’ coming in has seemingly been easy to score against.

I’d also say that Sonsie as damaging as he could be, wouldn’t be described as an ‘offensive weapon’ like Dusty and Bolton are. It’s those types who are probably afforded more leeway.

Think the post below this answers it, but Essendon are probably the prime example of offensive minded mids only and how it negatively affects teams in modern footy.

In our prime we were the best midfield pressure team in the comp. It’s no coincidence that as that’s dropped off over the last two years, our back line which has had so much ‘dirty ball’ coming in has seemingly been easy to score against.

I’d also say that Sonsie as damaging as he could be, wouldn’t be described as an ‘offensive weapon’ like Dusty and Bolton are. It’s those types who are probably afforded more leeway.
All correct except your use of 'dirty ball', which is what your defence gets to feed on when you do apply midfield pressure ('clean ball' being lace-out type stuff).

At the risk of starting another shitstorm…George is one of the reasons Dusty can do as he pleases.

All correct except your use of 'dirty ball', which is what your defence gets to feed on when you do apply midfield pressure ('clean ball' being lace-out type stuff).
Yep. And as I said in my post you’ve quoted that’s dropped off and that dirty ball which we once had isn’t as dirty or coming dirty as often.

Not sure we want to promote players who won’t help rectify that - or at least do their part.

(Haven’t used the word dirty so many times since the second date with Mrs RJ).

Parish, Merrett, Devon Smith and Shiel from the Druggies are similarly offensive players to Sonsie with zero defensive running and they are ineffective at AFL level.

If he can't learn to win his own ball and chase down his opponent then he won't play seniors under Dimma
Spot on and it’s vital that he works on that part of his game before he gets an AFL opportunity, otherwise he likely never will.

Parish was who he reminded me of the most when I first saw his VFL highlights. Hopefully he can sort out the defensive side of his game so we aren’t watching him rack up 30-40 possessions a game that aren’t damaging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back