Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be in the minority of liking Dimma making him and Cumbo wait and work on defiencies in the VFL has made them far better players from debut as a result
its actually hard to argue with that , work hard for their spot doesn't hurt anyone and then they're ready to GO

its actually hard to argue with that , work hard for their spot doesn't hurt anyone and then they're ready to GO
He definitely had some deficiencies in his game, 4 quarters and defensive toughness, still does, but he has worked on his game and the timing seems about right. Not sure he will make a finals team if we do but he is an important player down the track because we don't have one like him, a natural accumulator with class. They don't fall off trees.

Thought he was good, but looking at the possessions up to half time does not really reflect that he was our spare and Coleman was theirs and I reckon we lost that tactical battle (not that it is any fault of Tyler's).

Can't wait until he gets a preseason or two into him because he just lacks that size inside the contest and bounces off more experienced opponents at the moment. When he can stick those tackles, given how clean his hands are he is going to be a ripper.

Thought he was good, but looking at the possessions up to half time does not really reflect that he was our spare and Coleman was theirs and I reckon we lost that tactical battle (not that it is any fault of Tyler's).

Can't wait until he gets a preseason or two into him because he just lacks that size inside the contest and bounces off more experienced opponents at the moment. When he can stick those tackles, given how clean his hands are he is going to be a ripper.
If Coleman wore a Tiger jumper our passes to him on the tit would have been elite in that first half :drunk:

If Coleman wore a Tiger jumper our passes to him on the tit would have been elite in that first half :drunk:
Richmond is being investigated by the AFL for inducing leather posioning into a Brisbane player!

He’s not going to win many ‘most courageous player’ awards, but he can find the footy and delivers it well and doesn’t panic under pressure.
He’s what? 18 years old playing against men at senior AFL level for the first time and you’re questioning his courage? Way to go Mate

Absolute *in rubbish.
Watch Cotchin from 08 to 15 and you will see he was not as hard edged or courageous as he has been the last 5 years. Anyone disagreeing with my original statement is suffering from recency bias.

The fact that Cotchin can have such a stark and dramatic turnaround in his aggression means that it is possible for Sonsie to develop it once he gets a few preseasons under his belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not going to win many ‘most courageous player’ awards, but he can find the footy and delivers it well and doesn’t panic under pressure.
Pretty ordinary call tug , I watch the kid super close as he’s from our hood , wins ball in tight , plenty of contested and composes himself to neatly dispose of ball , no rushed kicks scared of what’s coming , has enormous upside, from what I’ve seen if last years draft crop , he’s behind daicos , well ahead of several others selected in front ,,,,early days though

True, but until about 2016-17 that same criticism could of been levied against Cotch
Similar thought to 2014 - 2022* SplintWhisky and flinging nonesense behind a keyboard.

* still participating

Watch Cotchin from 08 to 15 and you will see he was not as hard edged or courageous as he has been the last 5 years. Anyone disagreeing with my original statement is suffering from recency bias.

The fact that Cotchin can have such a stark and dramatic turnaround in his aggression means that it is possible for Sonsie to develop it once he gets a few preseasons under his belt.

He won the ******* brownlow

Definitely not what you would consider a hard nosed inside mid but he’s also still only 19 and missed a lot of footy due to covid

Hardest part is generally for young players (especially Mids) is getting hands on the ball and he’s had no issue in that
A couple of pre seasons and training sessions with “mouth guards in” Will sort out the rest

Pretty ordinary call tug , I watch the kid super close as he’s from our hood , wins ball in tight , plenty of contested and composes himself to neatly dispose of ball , no rushed kicks scared of what’s coming , has enormous upside, from what I’ve seen if last years draft crop , he’s behind daicos , well ahead of several others selected in front ,,,,early days though
You must not watch the same kid then.
He's a ripper.
Just not very hard nosed at it.

I did watch him. You don't know what the * you're talking about.

He may not have been the kamakaze Cotchin we have had in our successful years, but that hardly made him "not courageous"

"He doesn't mind doing the hard stuff in around the stoppages as well...he always puts his head over it; he's a very, very courageous player - one of the most courageous players I've actually seen. He's so hard at the football. He gets in there, he does the one-percenters as well, he loves to tackle and lay pressure onto his opponents as we see here, he gets after it, puts his head over the footy. He's an absolute ripper, Trent, in those situations." - Matthew Richardson on Trent Cotchin, 2012.

He's a ripper.
I agree he's not a complete bottom of pack inside mid, but by the same token he's not a purely outside mid either. He's one of those mids who is probably more suited to be on the outside and receiving and delivering the ball in space, but who can also win the footy when required. He's got a nice balance, which is probably more suited to being a little more on the outside to utilise his football skills rather than inside on his knees dishing out handballs from packs.

He's a ripper.
To give you some context ,,sonsie avg 17p ,, 41% contested
Daicos 25p ,, 22% contested

Not sure what hard nosed exactly means but when your nearly 50% contested footy there’s no question you have an appetite to get in and get it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back