Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

No he didn't. Cotchin was always as hard as a cats head, the issue with his game which actually become more prevalent after winning the brownlow albeit overstated was he would get too much easy ball and wasn't doing a lot damage with it. He then basically cut that out of his game completely and focused more on the crash and bash elements of his game that would lift the team.

To say he didn't have it in his game before 2017 is utter tripe in a long list of tripe that is often spoken about Cotchin.
100% agree. Never took a short step on the footy field. Loves the contact, despite not being a big guy.

Not sure how a thread about a first year gun, gets into talk about a Hall of Famer…Sonsie had 20 disposals at 85% efficiency…6 x score involvements…That’s no shrinking violet…I can’t believe what I read sometimes…If not for Noah he probably gets a Rising Star nod…

This is Trent Cotchin for me

Wolf Man Reaction GIF by moodman

^ Tyler Sonsie transforming into Trent Cotchin^

No he didn't. Cotchin was always as hard as a cats head, the issue with his game which actually become more prevalent after winning the brownlow albeit overstated was he would get too much easy ball and wasn't doing a lot damage with it. He then basically cut that out of his game completely and focused more on the crash and bash elements of his game that would lift the team.

To say he didn't have it in his game before 2017 is utter tripe in a long list of tripe that is often spoken about Cotchin.
I'm not saying Cotchin was soft, it was in his playing style, but you know the deal, can't be real with a 3 x premiership captain.

This kid is really making Dow, RCD, Martyn look mediocre. He has just come straight into the team and fitted like a glove.

For impacting our chance in the now, Sonsie has far surpassed Gibcus for me. That is no slag of Gibcus, Sonsie is just more ready physically to fill the role we need him to.

Can we get this man a Wikipedia page already?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch Cotchin from 08 to 15 and you will see he was not as hard edged or courageous as he has been the last 5 years. Anyone disagreeing with my original statement is suffering from recency bias.

The fact that Cotchin can have such a stark and dramatic turnaround in his aggression means that it is possible for Sonsie to develop it once he gets a few preseasons under his belt.

I think you’re confusing the way someone plays with hardness and courage. Cotchin hasn’t shirked a contest his entire career. Yes, he changed the way he played (along with the team) and became more impactful with less possessions, but hardness and courage have NEVER been an issue for Cotchin. That’s not recency bias, it’s fact.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You must not watch the same kid then.
He's a ripper.
Just not very hard nosed at it.

There are not many first year midfielders who are still to fully develop who are ‘hard nosed at it’. At this time Nick Daicos isn’t ‘hard nosed at it’ either…

The ‘built’ youngsters like Wines, Hobbs etc… are ready to roll with the required physicality of the engine room at AFL level. The ‘skinny’ ones like Pendlebury, Edwards, Walsh, Noah Anderson have no issue with being hard enough, but take a season or more to fully mature and develop the bodies to withstand it.

Way, way, way too early to stamp Sonsie as being timid, which is what you’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sizzle has been terrific, outperforming Pick 7 of the same draft .

Compared to Ward, he is much more impactful, with a much bigger upside, more clearances, more score involvements, better disposal.

Compared to Ward, he is much more impactful, with a much bigger upside, more clearances, more score involvements, better disposal.
Ward been pretty good lately. Got off to a pretty slow start. Hopefully Sonsie makes the same leap over next few games and he will be pretty bloody special as he's started far better.

Ward been pretty good lately. Got off to a pretty slow start. Hopefully Sonsie makes the same leap over next few games and he will be pretty bloody special as he's started far better.

Ward came into the season afl ready, full pre season fit and strong

Sonsie barely did a pre season and played FA footy last 2 years.

The trend is your friend and Sonsie has blown past him like a rocket, much better player, much classier, Ward more a small workhorse mid

Sonsie may end up as big a steal as Bolton, fingers crossed

All true.

Ward rose on the back of a couple of big numbers for Vic Metro (and metronomic consistency in the NAB League). Sonsie missed the state games (which he was quite capable of tearing to shreds), and a couple of quiet performnces in an injury-hit season saw him drop in perceptions, luckily for us. He started 2021 as a #1 contender, played some great footy, had 1-3 quiet games, suffered an injury and groupthink set in. Plenty of recruiters done ****ed up.

All true.

Ward rose on the back of a couple of big numbers for Vic Metro (and metronomic consistency in the NAB League). Sonsie missed the state games (which he was quite capable of tearing to shreds), and a couple of quiet performnces in an injury-hit season saw him drop in perceptions, luckily for us. He started 2021 as a #1 contender, played some great footy, had 1-3 quiet games, suffered an injury and groupthink set in. Plenty of recruiters done *ed up.
Think he also had some issues surrounding professionalism and standards as well but seems he really struggled due to the toll of the affect covid restrictions made

But really who can blame him, some people react differently to those kinds of things imagine dedicating your entire life to that point targeting a few years to peak and get drafted only to have the entire system thrown around and all that hard work seemingly for nothing

He was getting judged as if what he was experiencing was under normal conditions

Heading into the draft, Sonsie was one of my guys regardless of where he ended up, but I'm pretty sure we can gush over him without ignoring Ward's impact since recovering from injury and getting a proper go. That kid will be a star too, been super impactful for the Hawks recently.

Sonsie was a top five talent for a long time until covid hit, we nailed our draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back