Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Remove this Banner Ad

Sonsie looks a ripper.

You do wonder if the intimidation factor playing alongside Dusty, Cotch, JR, Shedda and these types can get to these kids. Imagine rocking up to training day 1 and seeing a 3 time Norm Smith & Brownlow medallist just hanging out.
All 5 would grow a ft by the end of day 1 training.

LOVE THIS PICK! I would have been happy taking Sonsie with our first pick let alone pick 26! All class. I wouldn't worry about the injuries either. It seems a huge amount of new recruits come into the system with pre-existing injuries now days because they push themselves so hard to be drafted. I know plenty of amazingly talented kids who should be playing right now but cruelled themselves with injury in their recruitment year.

Our medical staff and fitness coaches are the best in the business and have proven time and time again that they will not give the all clear to players until they are strong enough to play. They will do the same for Sonsie and he will blossom.

I'm very excited about this kid. I really think we have a star in the making here.

Last edited:
Staggered that he fell this far. Was inline for the number 1 overall pick until injury and COVID hit; which shows the impact COVID had, made it difficult for the Vic boys to overcome any prejudices late in the year that came out in the earlier part of the year.

After JHF and Daicos had the most x-factor of any other mid in this draft. He’s also a different type of mid to the other young mids we have on our list.

Along with Howes to 39 and Draper falling to the Pies in the mid-40s, one of the best selections on the night IMO.

Reckon he'll go past RCD pretty quickly, hope it's not next year for RCD's sakes but could well be. Mesmerising highlights - brings others into the play, creates, sees the game unfold before others. Champion attributes if I've ever seen them... nice work recruiters! Just needs to fill out and get match fit.

Amazing he fell to us. Genuine quality player.

We really picked for the highest possible potential this year. Sonsie could be that player we need in the midfield to rebuild it. Very happy

Reckon he'll go past RCD pretty quickly, hope it's not next year for RCD's sakes but could well be. Mesmerising highlights - brings others into the play, creates, sees the game unfold before others. Champion attributes if I've ever seen them... nice work recruiters! Just needs to fill out and get match fit.
Different type of player, I think the two will complement each other’s build very well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Different type of player. But they probably have the same weakness (defensive workrate).

Agree, different when you reduce it down, but in general when one midfielder is clearly better than the other, they displace/replace them. Looking forward to watching his progression next year and hoping RCD can add a few more strings to his bow, seems like a nice kid.

How would this kid be feeling? He would have as a kid / early teenager been at training running around dreaming he is Cotch/Dusty (I'm guessing one of those two - perhaps Jack??), and very soon he'll be on the track running around drilling passes to them.
Looking forward to his 1st game - perhaps not as much as him though!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back