Player Watch Welcome to Richmond Pick 28 - Tyler Sonsie

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
Didn't put a foot wrong in that clip. Every kick went where it should've. No turnovers too.
No lowlights in a highlights clip... odd.

Sep 8, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
23 touches, 12 contested, 5 clearances, 1 goal. Geez that’s a great break down of numbers. Not to mention how classy he is

I’m still in shock we got him at 28. I would have taken him before Ward/Hobbs. Didn’t quite have their production this year but he’s way more classy imo. He’s a match breaker. Reads the play beautifully off the tap. Gibcus is an amazing steal also, but Sonsie the one I’m almost excited about

Yeah anyone know why he’d dropped So much? Shocked hawks didn’t go for him after he was playing vfl for boxhill. Sin only dropped from maybe 5-12 after having worse injury woes.

Nothing official but he finished year 12 last year and apparently struggled for motivation during lockdown.

Everyone can probably relate to that. I bet being drafted by your fav club and a pre season with Dusty and Cotch will fix that up.

Nothing official but he finished year 12 last year and apparently struggled for motivation during lockdown.

Everyone can probably relate to that. I bet being drafted by your fav club and a pre season with Dusty and Cotch will fix that up.

Other thing as well that I think is endemic of all sports that have a draft, often when you’re touted as the top pick, or top three or top five or whatever, you’re often expected to perform at a certain level.

If you don’t - and by all accounts Sonsie didn’t last season - think you’re judged more harshly than most and fall further. Even if you’re still performing at a level that means you should be a top 15 or so pick.

Other thing as well that I think is endemic of all sports that have a draft, often when you’re touted as the top pick, or top three or top five or whatever, you’re often expected to perform at a certain level.

If you don’t - and by all accounts Sonsie didn’t last season - think you’re judged more harshly than most and fall further. Even if you’re still performing at a level that means you should be a top 15 or so pick.

Yep and I think the other thing with being highly rated for so long and with the U18 season cancelled some would definitely have gotten frustrated and basically feel like they are just waiting for their life to start.

I remember Daniel Rich and Jack Darling had similar issues in their draft year. Basically knowing they were certain to be drafted so just coasted through their final under age year.

Not that I have anything to base it on but I think that one of his best games of the year being when he played his first VFL game is very telling and backs up my point.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli

We also have a reasonable track record with kids that don’t quite have the best attitude, Bolton, Balta, and Stack.

Which I think is a lot to do with our culture and drafting a lot of leaders and hard workers who all set a high standard.

Lacustrus

Club Legend
May 24, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Haven’t read the article assistant principal reckons he’s a great kid
they're kids, not robots...

Back