Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Balta isn't George but he is hardly a lumbering type. If forward be should be able add some pressure defensive

Tell me what the 22 is and I'll nominate who comes out.

Balta has shown good upside in the midfield and has the tools to be a decent fwd prospect.

There is room for Gibcus and broad potentially
Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes
Short Balta Rioli
Kmac Prestia Edwards
Lambert Riewoldt Baker
Bolton Lynch Castagna
Nankervis Martin Cotchin

Broad Graham Soldo Stack, Pickett

There’s 23 there so one has to make way already.

Balta in the midfield is surely a pisstake from you. Oppo coaches would use his lack of midfield nous to destroy us.
Petracca, Oliver and Viney demand our best midfield players, not a random tall that has no sense of playing the game in that position.

Last edited:
Exactly

3 x Premiership player and extremely under rated by even our own board
Would of won our bnf this year if he didn’t get injured
Was killing it before he went down

Frank Grimes

Premiership Player
May 8, 2007
between two bowling alley
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep. But there was a reason all other clubs passed on him until our third pick.
Some have all the talent, but the commitment isn’t there.

Rankine was probably the more naturally gifted junior over Walsh, but Walsh had incredible drive to succeed couple lad with ability. The difference between the two now is stark.

Sonsie has immense talent, but I’m not sure about his willingness to succeed. If he does it will be a great boon for the club.

Time will tell.
The variable here is the kids of this draft had to battle through the Covid years which would put many people's commitment to the test.

Once there is a run on of continuity to the process or routine then he may thrive.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
The variable here is the kids of this draft had to battle through the Covid years which would put many people's commitment to the test.

Once there is a run on of continuity to the process or routine then he may thrive.
Just training with the rest of the listed group will motivate him for certain. I have zero doubt Sonsie will be a very good player for us.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes
Short Balta Rioli
Kmac Prestia Edwards
Lambert Riewoldt Baker
Bolton Lynch Castagna
Nankervis Martin Cotchin

Balta in the midfield is surely a pisstake from you. Oppo coaches would use his lack of midfield nous to destroy us.
Petracca, Oliver and Viney demand our best midfield players, not a random tall that has no sense of playing the game in that position.
So you want to go with the same old that didn’t cut it this year?? Add to that jack,Cotchin and edwards are on there last legs and a geriatric in Tarrant…..
Time to put some faith in the kids and give them opportunities.

Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes
Short Balta Rioli
Kmac Prestia Edwards
Lambert Riewoldt Baker
Bolton Lynch Castagna
Nankervis Martin Cotchin

mate we have all agreed that Balta is going to play on the wing. Problem solved

CASEYS9420

Club Legend
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
We've barely seen our VFL side play in the last two years, its very easy to throw names into our B22 just because they're new. I've said in another thread we have to go with the tried & true for at least the first few rounds. Lets at least see the kids play at VFL level before calling them deserved of the B23 players at the club.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how he goes. I'm expecting him to start dominating VFL this year, and build his size. I do wonder if they will use the 3 weeks on one week off approach to build his size whilst giving him more game experience. Fast track his development

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Vlastuin Tarrant Grimes
Short Balta Rioli
Kmac Prestia Edwards
Lambert Riewoldt Baker
Bolton Lynch Castagna
Nankervis Martin Cotchin

Balta has looked very handy when the ball hits the ground in the guts. When playing as a ruck. I don't think having him as a mid would be that far fetched. His size and dynamic abilities might be a bonus inside.

By and large I think you make a good call - the first 21 pretty much picks itself imo:

Balta +

Grimes. Tarrant. Vlastuin. Short. D Rioli. Broad.

Edwards. Cotchin. Martin. Prestia. McIntosh. Nank. Soldo. Pickett.

Riewoldt. Lynch. Lambert. Graham. Bolton. Baker.

That said I don't think it's beyond possible Gibcus gets a game season one or a Clarke banks type.

Injury and poor form happen too.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
We've barely seen our of VFL side play in the last two years, its very easy to throw names into our B22 just because they're new. I've said in another thread we have to go with the tried & true for at least the first few rounds. Lets at least see the kids play at VFL level before calling them deserved of the B23 players at the club.

Might be no vfl this season too...

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
We've barely seen our of VFL side play in the last two years, its very easy to throw names into our B22 just because they're new. I've said in another thread we have to go with the tried & true for at least the first few rounds. Lets at least see the kids play at VFL level before calling them deserved of the B23 players at the club.
100%

This is why I find it very unrealistic and ambitious when people start throwing in Gibcus as a KPF/KPB option for 2022. It's just not going to happen. If he makes his debut that's a win for his development.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
100%

This is why I find it very unrealistic and ambitious when people start throwing in Gibcus as a KPF/KPB option for 2022. It's just not going to happen. If he makes his debut that's a win for his development.

If miller can get a game. Mrj. Chol can be a key part of of a dynasty etc. Etc.

It's not that far fetched Gibcus can play and contribute. Imo

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Balta has looked very handy when the ball hits the ground in the guts. When playing as a ruck. I don't think having him as a mid would be that far fetched. His size and dynamic abilities might be a bonus inside.

By and large I think you make a good call - the first 21 pretty much picks itself imo:

Balta +

Grimes. Tarrant. Vlastuin. Short. D Rioli. Broad.

Edwards. Cotchin. Martin. Prestia. McIntosh. Nank. Soldo. Pickett.

Riewoldt. Lynch. Lambert. Graham. Bolton. Baker.

That said I don't think it's beyond possible Gibcus gets a game season one or a Clarke banks type.

Injury and poor form happen too.
I don’t like the thought of Balta as a mid. Reckon Viney, Oliver, Petracca would have a field day. Also think he’s a waste as a back up ruck, but agree with you, he could do a job there if absolutely pressed.
I like the thought of Nank and Soldo changing as first ruck.

I also agree with you that if injuries hit it wouldn’t be ridiculous to see the kids get a run. But I don’t see them as starting 22 if all are fit and firing.

Hopefully some of the kids outperform the older players and take their spots on merit. But I don’t believe they are there, just yet. Will be interesting to see how these guys develop next year and seeing them contend through solid vfl performances first.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t like the thought of Balta as a mid. Reckon Viney, Oliver, Petracca would have a field day. Also think he’s a waste as a back up ruck, but agree with you, he could do a job there if absolutely pressed.
I like the thought of Nank and Soldo changing as first ruck.

I also agree with you that if injuries hit it wouldn’t be ridiculous to see the kids get a run. But I don’t see them as starting 22 if all are fit and firing.

Hopefully some of the kids outperform the older players and take their spots on merit. But I don’t believe they are there, just yet. Will be interesting to see how these guys develop next year and seeing them contend through solid vfl performances first.

Not every game is v Melbourne

Back