Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to think the club has something brewing for next year re: a free agent mid being traded in. There's no doubt the club needs mids and for them to go with 2 defenders to me says they've got something up their sleeves for next year. Most of these trades are done 12 months out.

Either way, the kid looks very promising. Look forward to seeing him develop over the next couple of years.
Good post as Melbourne invested heavily in their BL whilst their midfield was developing and have been rewarded heavily. The way i look at it, Cotchin and Sheds are nearing retirement at the end of next year which will free up a lot of cap space for a big fish or two midfielders.

Last edited:

Good post as Melbourne invested heavily in their BL whilst their midfield was developing and have been rewarded heavily. The way i look at is Cotchin and Sheds are nearing retirement at the end of next year which will free up a lot of cap space for a big fish or two midfielders.
The shemons invested in tanking

How bad a kick is he?

Not sure how he could not pinch hit forward at times.

He does not look Manson type in terms of kicking. looks proficient enough for me.

KB was not a great kick especially at the start.

When David King talks about some of his highlights on Fox and he takes a mark over the top a little from behind with extra elevation, King says this the contest he really likes, he took that like a forward to me

Last edited:
Like everyone here I'm very very happy with this selection. Picking him means that we are in it for the long haul. We could have picked a Hobbs and got immediate return, but we resisted the temptation, just like we resisted the temptation to top up during Hawthorn's fire sale. We could have got a dime a dozen midfielder but instead we are getting our spine right first. I do hope his future is in the back half, a combination of him and Balta for the next decade will be a daunting proposition for any opposition. We wouldn't want to break up a rock like defence like that unless you absolutely had no choice.

I also hope that having selected with the possible exception of Darcy the best tall in the draft, that we don't succumb to the temptation of picking another one who is second rate just to have a 'balanced' draft haul. Go for best available and if we have doubts about what's left on the table and some other club is willing to pay overs, trade into next years draft. Have the currency to move up the order to go after a potential A-grade key forward in 2022 or perhaps make a play for Ben King (also saying a pray or two that Samson Ryan will make it wouldn't hurt either). If we play it smart we could pretty well have our spine set for the next decade. Again love the Gibcus selection :)

Like everyone here I'm very very happy with this selection. Picking him means that we are in it for the long haul. We could have picked a Hobbs and got immediate return, but we resisted the temptation, just like we resisted the temptation to top up during Hawthorn's fire sale. We could have got a dime a dozen midfielder but instead we are getting our spine right first. I do hope his future is in the back half, a combination of him and Balta for the next decade will be a daunting proposition for any opposition. We wouldn't want to break up a rock like defence like that unless you absolutely had no choice.

I also hope that having selected with the possible exception of Darcy the best tall in the draft, that we don't succumb to the temptation of picking another one who is second rate just to have a 'balanced' draft haul. Go for best available and if we have doubts about what's left on the table and some other club is willing to pay overs, trade into next years draft. Have the currency to move up the order to go after a potential A-grade key forward in 2022 or perhaps make a play for Ben King (also saying a pray or two that Samson Ryan will make it wouldn't hurt either). If we play it smart we could pretty well have our spine set for the next decade. Again love the Gibcus selection :)
You don't reckon Ben Hobbs' output now (and future) will be as good in the midfield as Gibcus' output will be in the backline? I reckon we missed out on a genuine gun inside midfielder that would have set us up nicely for the next 12 years, but also improved us in the now and made us look pretty imposing for 2022.

Gibcus won't play for a few seasons...

Getting Gibcus has really primed us to raid the smalls in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't reckon Ben Hobbs' output now (and future) will be as good in the midfield as Gibcus' output will be in the backline? I reckon we missed out on a genuine gun inside midfielder that would have set us up nicely for the next 12 years, but also improved us in the now and made us look pretty imposing for 2022.

Gibcus won't play for a few seasons...

Nope much happier with Gibcus, get the spine right, there are Hobbs's in every draft. Very happy to wait for Gibcus

I tend to think the club has something brewing for next year re: a free agent mid being traded in. There's no doubt the club needs mids and for them to go with 2 defenders to me says they've got something up their sleeves for next year. Most of these trades are done 12 months out.

Either way, the kid looks very promising. Look forward to seeing him develop over the next couple of years.

Except we said we’d take best available. Our selections then couldn’t be indicative of a greater plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with that.

If talent is close to equal you always take the key position player. I have been advocating for mids as we're screaming out for a gun mid (or two or three) but reality is we need prepare ourselves for another average season IMO.

We aren't winning the flag next year. Talent is just too far behind Melbourne and Doggies who have most of their players in their primes or hitting it. This is about resetting the list.

Giants were super keen to jump up the order.

Just minutes prior to the draft the Giants were trying to find a club to trade with and help them move up the draft order – ideally ahead of the Tigers – to snare Gibcus but were unable to get the deal done.

Talk of them thinking about gibbo @ pick 2 as well.

A KPD isnt the sexy pick we like to see, but it is the smart choice.

Athletically, he might be our most gifted which is saying something.

The club must see our current crop of midfield kids as being good enough.

It is also much easier to trade and use FA on mids (dime a dozen), where as KPP's are so much harder to poach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back