Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 26, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

“We addressed our needs with Gibcus and we don’t just see him as a back, we believe he and Noah Balta can be swingmen and Brown and Banks have genuine running power with aerial ability. We are really excited to fill some needs early and then get some good players in the 20s.”

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond

“We addressed our needs with Gibcus and we don’t just see him as a back, we believe he and Noah Balta can be swingmen and Brown and Banks have genuine running power with aerial ability. We are really excited to fill some needs early and then get some good players in the 20s.”
I guess the "Balta Forward" crew have some new material for their wank bank now :D

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
TIGER BARGAIN’S WARNING TO COMPETITION
Josh Gibcus has issued an ominous warning for the Tiger Army and the new-age key-forward monsters of the competition.

“Watch out guys, I’ll take down any player,” Gibcus told the Herald Sun moments after being drafted.

The high-leaping key-defender also wants to propel Richmond to its next premiership.

This confidence isn’t for show.

Gibcus, who became a Tiger with the ninth selection in the AFL Draft, walks the talk on the field.

And he is up for any challenge, highlighted by his shut-down job on the leading key-forward in the draft, Western Bulldogs father-son and No. 2 selection Sam Darcy.

Coming off a dominant six-goal haul in a Victorian trial which saw him rocket up draft boards, the red-hot Darcy was restricted to six disposals and two goals by Gibcus in the Under-19 Victorian Challenge clash in July.

Josh Gibcus has vowed to take down any player. Picture: Mark Stewart

The 197cm draftee attacks the ball in the air like his life depends on it, resembling All-Australian Demon Jake Lever in the NAB League for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels this season with his intercept marking prowess, remarkable spring, and speed off the mark.

The traits that can stop athletic goalkicking machines Harry McKay, Ben King and Max King in the future.

The East Point product led the NAB League for intercept marks and intercept possessions and shapes as an exciting replacement for retired three-time premiership Tiger David Astbury, another graduate from the Rebels program.

A Brisbane supporter after living in Queensland during his early life, Gibcus has kept a watchful eye on the Tigers, with members of his family following the club.

While key-position players generally take time to develop, the St Patrick’s College graduate is eager to help the Tigers win their next flag.

“I’ve been following them for quite a bit … got to watch them win a couple of flags and hopefully when I get there, I can help them win a flag,” he said.

Gibcus looms as Richmond’s [PLAYERCARD]David Astbury[/PLAYERCARD] replacement. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Gibcus looms as Richmond’s David Astbury replacement. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images
“I have had a dream to be in the AFL since about five years old when I started Auskick up in Queensland, and honestly just to be called out tonight by Richmond at pick nine … I’m stoked.

“I’m an athletic key-defender, I’m pretty much an intercept marking defender. I’ll bring my vertical leap, my marking ability and my ability to read the play.”

Considered by Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast with its early selections, Gibcus looms as a value pick-up for the Tigers.

Rebels coach David Loader said Gibcus is the modern prototype key defender.

“He’s the new-age defender. If you look forward to what the gun up and coming forwards of the competition are like – Harry McKay, the two King boys, we are looking at guys who are 200cm but incredibly athletic,” Loader explained.

“He’s 197cm, he’s quick, he’s got good endurance, he’s quite agile and he’s got a massive leap. He is the perfect prototype to play on the up and coming gun forwards of the competition.

“Athletically, Josh is really, really gifted and a super exciting player.”

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe one day, but you've gotta earn the number 12.
Give the kid the #12 from the start , He will be a 12-15 year player and no point mucking about

This kid would have been selected by GWS/GC if Callaghan had not bolted up the rankings

We have been kissed on the d!ck here
Tarrant should get 12 or retire it.
2yrs time perfect too pass it onto Gibcus in the footsteps of Tiger legends in Richo & Astbury.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Was reading Gibcus' draft profile and thought it sounded familiar ...

Check this out:
Geez I hope your right! Naughton is a gun marker...Quality forward...

Feb 13, 2006
Just beyond the horizon.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RFC VFL
Grimes is more man on man tall or short ( lick down) that has the ability to leave his man and in pact the contest. Lever is almost fully intercept

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Is why I don't rate Lever. It's easy to read the play when you don't have an opponent to worry about. If he's ever asked to be accountable he's useless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rifles

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Ahhhh that next level is sitting in front of the TV with remote in hand gobsmacked and watching Gibcus in Tiger colours take a one grab mark in the back square GF over an oppo---insert oppo team name here---pack of at least 8 players to defend a one point tiger lead...so high...so seconds before the final siren in our GF win...Slow motionnnnn...like a seagull flying in for the wayward discarded high flying chippie...SNAP!!!!...a little bit of salt dislodged from both chippie and seagull beak but the chippie never drops...all over red rover Gibcus has taken it to another level!!! :D
POTY

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
TIGERS SCORE A ‘STEAL’

After the departures of David Astbury (retired) and Ryan Garthwaite (delisted), the Tigers were looking for a young key defender to partner Dylan Grimes (30 years old) and Robbie Tarrant (32) in the twilight of their careers.

They ticked the box on Wednesday night by using Pick 9 to snare Josh Gibcus – a freak key defensive talent that had interest from as early as the Giants at Pick 2.

Despite midfielder Ben Hobbs still being on the board, Richmond opted to select Gibcus to bolster its key defensive stocks.

Foxfooty.com.au reported minutes prior to the draft the Giants were trying to find a club to trade with and help them move up the draft order – ideally ahead of the Tigers – to snare Gibcus. They identified Fremantle as a potential suitor, but a deal never came to fruition.

Josh Gibcus joined Richmond. Picture: Michael Willson
Josh Gibcus joined Richmond. Picture: Michael WillsonSource: Getty Images

That left the Tigers to pick up Gibcus, who has a highlights reel like Hawthorn champion Peter Knights, according to dual premiership Kangaroo David King.

“He’s diligent enough to start with his opponent. But then he just assesses really quickly where it’s likely to fall,” King told Fox Footy.

“Dropping off his man, assessing the ball in flight really early – that’s AFL level already. That’s the classic intercept mark player that we see in the competition right now.

“I think this guy is a steal at this pick. Richmond have got an absolute ripper. We know they’re looking to rebuild in that back half, there’s no doubt they’ve lost some key position talent – Pick 9 is a steal.”

TIGER BARGAIN’S WARNING TO COMPETITION
Josh Gibcus has issued an ominous warning for the Tiger Army and the new-age key-forward monsters of the competition.

“Watch out guys, I’ll take down any player,” Gibcus told the Herald Sun moments after being drafted.

The high-leaping key-defender also wants to propel Richmond to its next premiership.

This confidence isn’t for show.

Gibcus, who became a Tiger with the ninth selection in the AFL Draft, walks the talk on the field.

And he is up for any challenge, highlighted by his shut-down job on the leading key-forward in the draft, Western Bulldogs father-son and No. 2 selection Sam Darcy.

Coming off a dominant six-goal haul in a Victorian trial which saw him rocket up draft boards, the red-hot Darcy was restricted to six disposals and two goals by Gibcus in the Under-19 Victorian Challenge clash in July.

The 197cm draftee attacks the ball in the air like his life depends on it, resembling All-Australian Demon Jake Lever in the NAB League for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels this season with his intercept marking prowess, remarkable spring, and speed off the mark.

The traits that can stop athletic goalkicking machines Harry McKay, Ben King and Max King in the future.

The East Point product led the NAB League for intercept marks and intercept possessions and shapes as an exciting replacement for retired three-time premiership Tiger David Astbury, another graduate from the Rebels program.

A Brisbane supporter after living in Queensland during his early life, Gibcus has kept a watchful eye on the Tigers, with members of his family following the club.

While key-position players generally take time to develop, the St Patrick’s College graduate is eager to help the Tigers win their next flag.

“I’ve been following them for quite a bit … got to watch them win a couple of flags and hopefully when I get there, I can help them win a flag,” he said.

Gibcus looms as Richmond’s David Astbury replacement. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

“I have had a dream to be in the AFL since about five years old when I started Auskick up in Queensland, and honestly just to be called out tonight by Richmond at pick nine … I’m stoked.

“I’m an athletic key-defender, I’m pretty much an intercept marking defender. I’ll bring my vertical leap, my marking ability and my ability to read the play.”

Considered by Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast with its early selections, Gibcus looms as a value pick-up for the Tigers.

Rebels coach David Loader said Gibcus is the modern prototype key defender.

“He’s the new-age defender. If you look forward to what the gun up and coming forwards of the competition are like – Harry McKay, the two King boys, we are looking at guys who are 200cm but incredibly athletic,” Loader explained.

“He’s 197cm, he’s quick, he’s got good endurance, he’s quite agile and he’s got a massive leap. He is the perfect prototype to play on the up and coming gun forwards of the competition.

“Athletically, Josh is really, really gifted and a super exciting player.”
This kid reminds me of a more talented and way better bloke than Harris Andrews

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I guess the "Balta Forward" crew have some new material for their wank bank now :D
You bet.
We can add Gibcus. :) :D ;) ;)
I’m part of the ‘crew’ but only one of the two will be needed at any time.

Someone, Clarke, I think, said they see both guys as “swing men”, so I think we can expect them to both go forward at times.

But, honestly, assuming our forwards get decent supply, who’s defence is dealing with a Gibcus or Balta as a third option?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I’m part of the ‘crew’ but only one of the two will be needed at any time.

Someone, Clarke, I think, said they see both guys as “swing men”, so I think we can expect them to both go forward at times.

But, honestly, assuming our forwards get decent supply, who’s defence is dealing with a Gibcus or Balta as a third option?
I think the swingman mentality refers to the occasional drift forward at pockets in the season, they will still be predominantly KPDs that will be their regular position, but if a game needs a move or we are struggling in attack they might throw one forward as a back up.

That might be a cameo quarter or game a handful of times a season where needed. People on here are talking like they're going to spend 50% of every game at CHF which I dont see for guys that are born defenders.

Gibcus probably isn't required or ready for a couple of years anyway for AFL. When that time comes we absolutely will need 2 big KPDs and he and Balta make a lot of sense. The big intercepting defenders are the cornerstone of the modern game and its the one constant through our dynasty that we could rely on.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
This kid reminds me of a way more talented and way better bloke than Harris Andrews
I like the kids confidence already but i hope he keeps it respectful unlike Andrews.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back