Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be surprised to see him get games as a utility - playing mostly as a 3rd tall forward, then rotating in small spurts down back when Balta does similar moves forward. Wouldn't even be surprised to see him float around on a wing or even a HFF. We could do with much better marking around the ground
The kid was the best marking tall in the draft so why not move him around and see where he might benefit the side the most. Obviously he is not going to get a gig in the early rounds, but at some stage they will want a look at him if he is playing well in the VFL, so it could be forward if that is where he is needed.

He is not going to hold down a key back position for a good while, so why not move him around a bit.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him get games as a utility - playing mostly as a 3rd tall forward, then rotating in small spurts down back when Balta does similar moves forward. Wouldn't even be surprised to see him float around on a wing or even a HFF. We could do with much better marking around the ground
I'm always wary of this... And I don't like to see too much stuffing around.

Darcy Moore is one of the best defenders in the league at the moment, thrown forward and he looked horribly average. Good tall forwards are really, really hard to find, but you generally want natural ones there, not utilities. Don't rob Peter to only maybe pay Paul, I say. Gibcus is an elite young defender so just play him there.

Darcy Moore is one of the best defenders in the league at the moment, thrown forward and he looked horribly average. Good tall forwards are really, really hard to find, but you generally want natural ones there, not utilities. Don't rob Peter to only maybe pay Paul, I say. Gibcus is an elite young defender so just play him there.
Yes but Moore is an integral part of their defence, but due to their offence being so average and they were out of contention they have every right to experiment. Gibcus would be just there for the experience and any game would be a bonus, a taste. If we needed a forward because Jack or Lynch went down, it wouldn't hurt to give him a game or two as a third tall even. Same down back for a game or two.

You wouldn't be robbing Peter to pay Paul because he is just a rookie. Of course play him back in the VFL.

Yes but Moore is an integral part of their defence, but due to their offence being so average and they were out of contention they have every right to experiment. Gibcus would be just there for the experience and any game would be a bonus, a taste. If we needed a forward because Jack or Lynch went down, it wouldn't hurt to give him a game or two as a third tall even. Same down back for a game or two.

You wouldn't be robbing Peter to pay Paul because he is just a rookie. Of course play him back in the VFL.
Yes, it's taking us a while to convince people it's just his first year and getting to game experience won't hurt his long term development as a kpd.

Your probably right he could play and maybe even contribute. But in what role. not playing KPP not atm anyway.

Atm if Gibcus is a bona fide defender then he is imo in competition for the third tall defender role atm while his body develops. He has two in front of him who he is not going to get a game in front of in Broad and Grimes.

I think it crazy that people think a light bodied first year kid is going to hold down a key defensive spot for us or key forward spot for us.
The role he performs very well at is intercept marking the only other option there is play him in Vlastuins role and agaIn that won't happen.
Highly talented or not i hope the club give the kid time to grow physically and develop at what he does best.

If we don't play say Balta fwd then just maybe they will be tempted to play him as the third tall fwd.

My problem with that is i think he is a natural defender and needs the play in front of him, he has at no stage that i can see played well as a fwd in fact what i can gather he has struggled.

Let him start in the magoos and if he demands a game then by all means play him but hes a 196cm kid and he will take time regardless of where we drafted him.

Exactly.

He is not the Astbury, he is the Lever.

Will 100% play footy next year & will get 5+ intercepts in game one.

I disagree, I'd be surprised if he plays this year at all.
Tall players take time to develop and you dont want his playing on a gorilla at his age or he'll get banged up quickly.

If he plays, and I think he will at some point, I don’t think he will play body on body, deep defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moore played his whole juniors as a key forward, Naughton played almost exclusively as a key back. Who knows where he'll end up but he will probably have a crack at both ends early on in his career.

Moore played his whole juniors as a key forward, Naughton played almost exclusively as a key back. Who knows where he'll end up but he will probably have a crack at both ends early on in his career.
Naughton pretty good example recruited as a defender , such an outstanding mark, he was seen more as a weapon deep forward , parallels for sure

Naughton pretty good example recruited as a defender , such an outstanding mark, he was seen more as a weapon deep forward , parallels for sure
Naughton played forward as a junior, except for WA in the under-18s. Moore played both ends as a junior but has always looked better down back. (Mind you, he still has 65 goals from 102 games despite mainly playing back - 20+ goals in each of his 2nd and 3rd seasons, before he settled in defence).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kid was the best marking tall in the draft so why not move him around and see where he might benefit the side the most. Obviously he is not going to get a gig in the early rounds, but at some stage they will want a look at him if he is playing well in the VFL, so it could be forward if that is where he is needed.

He is not going to hold down a key back position for a good while, so why not move him around a bit.
Fully expecting that’s what will happen

Gibcus playing depends on what we do with Balta...

If Balta plays back, he doesn't play, not with Balta, Tarrant, Grimes and Broad.

If Balta plays fwd, he might play with Tarrant, Grimes, Gibcus and Broad.
We might do that but ask yourself if we do what role is Gibcus going to perform and if we answer honestly what do we do with Broad and Grimes.

We might do that but ask yourself if we do what role is Gibcus going to perform and if we answer honestly what do we do with Broad and Grimes.

If he comes in he plays a lock down role until he finds his feet. He’d also have the instruction of see ball get ball but opponent first. Broad play on the 2nd tall or most athletic fwd as Balta has done in the past. Grimes gets his matchup and Tarrant get the Main guy

Gibcus playing depends on what we do with Balta...

If Balta plays back, he doesn't play, not with Balta, Tarrant, Grimes and Broad.

If Balta plays fwd, he might play with Tarrant, Grimes, Gibcus and Broad.

I'd say Miller is the next cab of the rank.

He has the size and ability to physically compete with the 100kg monsters. Gibcus does not.

If we can play Gibcus against a skinny young forward or as a pure intercept player then I'm all for it this year. But he'd be monstered by any of the starting KPF right now.

What I'm hoping is the CCJ type of focus on playing VFL 3 weeks and weights the 4th. Build size and experience all at once. I'd rather see him in 2-3 years as a starting genuine KPF than play funny buggers right now.

I'd say Miller is the next cab of the rank.

He has the size and ability to physically compete with the 100kg monsters. Gibcus does not.

If we can play Gibcus against a skinny young forward or as a pure intercept player then I'm all for it this year. But he'd be monstered by any of the starting KPF right now.

What I'm hoping is the CCJ type of focus on playing VFL 3 weeks and weights the 4th. Build size and experience all at once. I'd rather see him in 2-3 years as a starting genuine KPF than play funny buggers right now.
As per the post you quoted, Gibcus plays if we have Tarrant Grimes Broad...

Means Tarrant takes the Monster
Broad take the athletic medium height player
Grimes then either takes the second Big boy if they are decent, or the damaging small like Cameron...
Gibcus then takes, at best, the 4th best forward.
He also has Vlaustin and say Short there to help him...

The key is the flexibility of Grimes really. We forget he mainly played on smalls in 2017 when we had Astbury and Rance in Full flight, then we have seen him play KPD for the last couple of years...

Grimes then either takes the second Big boy if they are decent, or the damaging small like Cameron...

The key is the flexibility of Grimes really. We forget he mainly played on smalls in 2017 when we had Astbury and Rance in Full flight, then we have seen him play KPD for the last couple of years...

I understand that.

What I would fully expect is that Miller takes the 2nd tall and Grimes plays the Grimes role - where is the best in the league.

I understand that.

What I would fully expect is that Miller takes the 2nd tall and Grimes plays the Grimes role - where is the best in the league.
is this is where it just comes to opinion.

What is the better overall combination and onfield output...

Miller taking second banana and Grimes playing intercept.
OR
Grimes taking second banana and Gibcus playing intercept

I've shared my opinion that I'm not confident Miller will make it, so personally I'm not sure I want to rely in him taking the second KPF, however, Grimes in the intercept role would be a massive plus... If Miller does hold up (hopefully), then this is by far the better option

is this is where it just comes to opinion.

What is the better overall combination and onfield output...

Miller taking second banana and Grimes playing intercept.
OR
Grimes taking second banana and Gibcus playing intercept

I've shared my opinion that I'm not confident Miller will make it, so personally I'm not sure I want to rely in him taking the second KPF, however, Grimes in the intercept role would be a massive plus... If Miller does hold up (hopefully), then this is by far the better option
OK, my opinion is the third option. Neither of Miller or Gibcus play, because Vlas plays the intercept role.

OK, my opinion is the third option. Neither of Miller or Gibcus play, because Vlas plays the intercept role.
The whole back 6 is really interesting TBH...

Will Stack stay back?
Will Baker go back?
Personally I'd like to see short on a wing...

All good points.

I guess to me the best option is that Miller works out well as an AFL level KPD. He frees up Grimes and Vlas, and then allows Short/Rioli/Baker to play up the ground more. And that leads to us having a better defence for the next 8ish years.

Whether Miller makes it I don't know. But he looked good his one game. He's big enough, fast enough, athletic enough, skilled enough, and hopefully smart enough to do the job. If he makes the jump then our team is much strengthened - it frees up Balta for one and gives us depth.

What's balta doing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back