Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The games he played up the ground he has looked lost, I believe some alluded to this earlier. He looks settled at CHB. Bare in mind our defenders age are not to dissimilar to our Fwds.
He was a 19-20 year old in his first season. Riewoldt was dropped a couple of times in his first season. Hard not to look lost when Jack and Lynch were in their prime and you are a trying not to get in their way. Pretty unfair to base your assumptions on that.

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
He was a 19-20 year old in his first season. Riewoldt was dropped a couple of times in his first season. Hard not to look lost when Jack and Lynch were in their prime and you are a trying not to get in their way. Pretty unfair to base your assumptions on that.

I’m talking 2020/last year etc. I always forgive first couple of years. He’s a premiership player as a CHB. He looked great back there early last year. I get your concern about Jack and Lynch but they are similar in age demographic to Tarrant and Grimes. If we have to give him a go so be it hope he does well. He has proven himself as a CHB so my view is to leave him there and see how good he can become

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I’m talking 2020/last year etc. I always forgive first couple of years. He’s a premiership player as a CHB. He looked great back there early last year. I get your concern about Jack and Lynch but they are similar in age demographic to Tarrant and Grimes. If we have to give him a go so be it hope he does well. He has proven himself as a CHB so my view is to leave him there and see how good he can become
It's funny that you mention Balta's a premiership CHB. He's not. He was playing full-back on Shovekins (and getting his arse handed to him) before swapping with Astbury and playing second ruck, where he made an impact.

Many were concerned about Balta's form in 2021. Watch his form in 2019 as second ruck/3rd forward. Some hugely encouraging performances from a teenager.

My tip is that if Soldo's not ready to go Round 1, Balta will play second ruck and Miller will get a shot down back.

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma's vid says Josh is training with the backs. I'll punt that's where any game time is spent. How he fits into the AFL backline could be problematic.
On scout notes, Josh does appear to play like a young Jake lever; a floating third tall / mid. This role for the Tigers is preferably played by Vlaustin.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Dimma's vid says Josh is training with the backs. I'll punt that's where any game time is spent. How he fits into the AFL backline could be problematic.
On scout notes, Josh does appear to play like a young Jake lever; a floating third tall / mid. This role for the Tigers is preferably played by Vlaustin.
Since Vlas will be playing for quite a few more years, hopefully he steps into Grimes role when he retires. The good problem being, Grimes might have another two years at least, and Gibcus might be AFL ready well before that. Grimes can play smalls though, so if he does come on quickly, Tarrant, Balta, Grimes, Vlas and Gibcus will be a solid backline. Need the Houli type runner to add to that.

All Aust

Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Since Vlas will be playing for quite a few more years, hopefully he steps into Grimes role when he retires. The good problem being, Grimes might have another two years at least, and Gibcus might be AFL ready well before that. Grimes can play smalls though, so if he does come on quickly, Tarrant, Balta, Grimes, Vlas and Gibcus will be a solid backline. Need the Houli type runner to add to that.

Under that scenario, it is likely Stack / Short / Baker for that role. One of which, likely will push back from a wing. The "group" (also adding Miller and Mansell) as selected and, as rotating through during the game, will need to develop a chemistry akin to 2017-2020 to combat oppo scoring runs that were frequent during last season.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
If Chol and CCJ played 18 games between them, and Jack played 22 and Lynch 19, there must have been plenty of games where they played together.
Just to satisfy all 4 played :Rd's .23, 21, 16
Jack, Lynch and CCJ played Rd's. 23, 22, 21,
Jack, Lynch and Chol played Rd's. 20, 19, 18, 17,
Chol, Lynch and CCJ played Rd's. 16, 15, 12, 11

So they played together most weeks in the last half of the year.
Complicating it was Nank missing six games.

With him missing, Chol and CCJ looked great in the Perth Dreamtime game.

Especially Chol, probably his best game.

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Complicating it was Nank missing six games.

With him missing, Chol and CCJ looked great in the Perth Dreamtime game.

Especially Chol, probably his best game.
The good thing about Chol and CCJ, they are no longer Richmond players to worry about!

I predict in 2 years time, we wont be lamenting about them as they continue to be underwhelming!

Last edited:

partycorolla

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Black Rock
AFL Club
Richmond
Cox played mostly wing I think. Sure it's not Jones you're referring to? He was 1st year and played a fair few games before injured. 195+ I think and did ok for them.
Gibcus is obviously training with the backs. But if he has a few stints in the VFL forward and clunks and jags a few, might not be a bad idea for a taste up forward as a debut.

Thought I heard the coaches say Gibcus would train with forwards and backs as they see him playing as a forward in 2022 if he plays seniors at all.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
It's funny that you mention Balta's a premiership CHB. He's not. He was playing full-back on Shovekins (and getting his arse handed to him)
Bit harsh Richo? Balta didn’t have his best game in the 2020 GF but certainly wasn’t disgraced against Hawkins. I’ve re-watched that match probably 8 times and I didn’t see Hawkins at any point have any more of the upper hand than any other key forward on the ground that night.

The good thing about Chol and CCJ, they are no longer Richmond players to worry about!

I predict in 2 years time, we wont be lamenting about them as they continue to be underwhelming!
Fact is, we simply couldn’t keep them on our list at the price they both demanded and not be forced to sacrifice a more critical player (or players). Maybe it was Balta or Bolton who’d have been lost otherwise.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Under that scenario, it is likely Stack / Short / Baker for that role.
Our most Houli-like HBF is Daniel Rioli. Relentless runner, breaks the lines and attacks through the middle.

Bit harsh Richo? Balta didn’t have his best game in the 2020 GF but certainly wasn’t disgraced against Hawkins. I’ve re-watched that match probably 8 times and I didn’t see Hawkins at any point have any more of the upper hand than any other key forward on the ground that night.
Maybe my phrasing was harsh, Ghost. He was definitely getting beaten.

Fact is, we simply couldn’t keep them on our list at the price they both demanded and not be forced to sacrifice a more critical player (or players). Maybe it was Balta or Bolton who’d have been lost otherwise.
Both Chol and CCJ were both just fringe line players who the club could have signed mid year. They will not be great losses.

Room needed to be created on the list for our newbies.

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
Our most Houli-like HBF is Daniel Rioli. Relentless runner, breaks the lines and attacks through the middle.
I usually agree with most of your takes, but not this one.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Bit harsh Richo? Balta didn’t have his best game in the 2020 GF but certainly wasn’t disgraced against Hawkins. I’ve re-watched that match probably 8 times
Bit slack mate.
I watch it 8 times a day.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
There’s some vague similarities, but Houli has been very underrated as an intercept marker. He plays pretty tall and filled the gap in front of bigger oppo forwards a lot.

I’m not seeing Dan being able to emulate that - he’s not terrific when the ball is 6 feet or higher in the air, whereas Houli had a wonderful nouse for that aspect of the game.

To be fair, Dan’s probably a more hectic tackler than Bachar though.

Back