Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s some vague similarities, but Houli has been very underrated as an intercept marker. He plays pretty tall and filled the gap in front of bigger oppo forwards a lot.

I’m not seeing Dan being able to emulate that - he’s not terrific when the ball is 6 feet or higher in the air, whereas Houli had a wonderful nouse for that aspect of the game.

To be fair, Dan’s probably a more hectic tackler than Bachar though.
Houli's rebound was unbelievably good, relentless runner.

Gibcus playing depends on what we do with Balta...

If Balta plays back, he doesn't play, not with Balta, Tarrant, Grimes and Broad.

If Balta plays fwd, he might play with Tarrant, Grimes, Gibcus and Broad.
if Balta plays forward at some point its more likely high forward rather than deep to exploit his other weapon his massive kick length. No point playing Balta deep forward when we can't capitalise on his booming kick or at least spreading the defense like Curry for Golden State Warriors

if Balta plays forward at some point its more likely high forward rather than deep to exploit his other weapon his massive kick length. No point playing Balta deep forward when we can't capitalise on his booming kick or at least spreading the defense like Curry for Golden State Warriors
Kicking 5 goals from 50mtrs or kicking 5 goals from 20 mtrs
Its still 5 goals

Kicking 5 goals from 50mtrs or kicking 5 goals from 20 mtrs
Its still 5 goals
It's much easier for defences to stop the 20m set shot than the 50m set shot. At 50m you are spread more thinly as a defensive unit. On the flip side it's much harder to kick it accurately from 50m unless you are Richo.

It's much easier for defences to stop the 20m set shot than the 50m set shot. At 50m you are spread more thinly as a defensive unit. On the flip side it's much harder to kick it accurately from 50m unless you are Richo.
Also when your getting deeper entries you’ll find defensive units are setting up much deeper which slows rebounds from defence to attack and allows our defence to set up much higher up the ground.
So having a Balta pumping it in to 15m out 6-7 times a game is only going to help.
When he’s playing in defence his long kicking is just getting us out of trouble and not really used as a ‘weapon’ as such.

I think you will find its harder to kick goals from 50+ mtrs out than it is closer in and also the accuracy level would be alot worse

I would rther have Balta kicking from 50+ than closer if i was defending him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only that, but defences hate it when players can pump the ball from the wing/half forward over the back of their zones. And forwards love it.

Stewie Maxfield had one kick, the long one that went low and kept going, and Richo loved it.

It's funny that you mention Balta's a premiership CHB. He's not. He was playing full-back on Shovekins (and getting his arse handed to him) before swapping with Astbury and playing second ruck, where he made an impact.

Many were concerned about Balta's form in 2021. Watch his form in 2019 as second ruck/3rd forward. Some hugely encouraging performances from a teenager.

My tip is that if Soldo's not ready to go Round 1, Balta will play second ruck and Miller will get a shot down back.
Not the silliest thing I’ve heard and YES Balta was the circuit breaker in turning the tide going into the ruck in ‘20 GF , 5m from 1/2 time. We had 3 shots on goal in that time for 1.1

There’s some vague similarities, but Houli has been very underrated as an intercept marker. He plays pretty tall and filled the gap in front of bigger oppo forwards a lot.

I’m not seeing Dan being able to emulate that - he’s not terrific when the ball is 6 feet or higher in the air, whereas Houli had a wonderful nouse for that aspect of the game.

To be fair, Dan’s probably a more hectic tackler than Bachar though.
Yes and no when I think of Houlis best traits his overhead marking doesn’t come to mind , ok but not great. As mentioned his running ability was next level , to carry the ball like he did through the middle of the G takes balls and he had a leg like a howitzer too. Dan has traits that we can replicate that role

Yes and no when I think of Houlis best traits his overhead marking doesn’t come to mind , ok but not great. As mentioned his running ability was next level , to carry the ball like he did through the middle of the G takes balls and he had a leg like a howitzer too. Dan has traits that we can replicate that role
Houli just got better and better with more experience...at the end BH was just a living legend...

The games he played up the ground he has looked lost, I believe some alluded to this earlier. He looks settled at CHB. Bare in mind our defenders age are not to dissimilar to our Fwds.
The big difference is unlike our forwards where we have none nadda zilch coming thru, in the back line we actually have three younger players developing in the roles four if you include Balta. Miller in particular is now 22 and in year 4 time for him to further develop in the seniors.

Balta at times has looked every bit a fwd as a junior and some of the shots at goal he pulls off when practicing are amazing. He has everything you want in a fwd.

I think you will find its harder to kick goals from 50+ mtrs out than it is closer in and also the accuracy level would be alot worse

I would rther have Balta kicking from 50+ than closer if i was defending him
One would rather others kicking from 50 than Balta if your the opposition defense.

Its easier to get others to kick goals from 20 out than 50 plus out

The big difference is unlike our forwards where we have none nadda zilch coming thru, in the back line we actually have three younger players developing in the roles four if you include Balta. Miller in particular is now 22 and in year 4 time for him to further develop in the seniors.

Balta at times has looked every bit a fwd as a junior and some of the shots at goal he pulls off when practicing are amazing. He has everything you want in a fwd.
I think they are hoping to snare a FA for the forward line.

Been watching the 19 season every Fri night. Up to the GF tomorrow night!!
One thing that has stood out is exactly that... Houli influence on games was massive.
He looked like he worked out each game could be his last so gave 110% and enjoyed playing footy.

Honestly thought 18 would have been his last season, BH just got better with age!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back