Player Watch #31 Rhyan Mansell

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Yet to see him take a backward step, happy to wear contact and settled better this week and impacted contests when he needed to. With Vlastuin still a while off should get an extended run and a good taste of it and then be able to go back and work on the areas that will make him another well rounded Richmond man.

Looks tough so far

Richmond defender Rhyan Mansell says he is spurred on by North Melbourne’s decision to bypass him in his draft year, having been a member of the Kangaroos’ next generation academy.

“They didn’t see the potential in me. Richmond have taken the punt on me and they saw all the potential in me, so credit to Richmond for backing me in and giving me a good crack,” Mansell said.
“I spent a couple of years on North Melbourne’s next-gen academy and it didn’t work out and I definitely use that as a lot of motivation to where I’ve got to now.

“They had the chance to get me for near nothing as well so I was a bit flat that I didn’t get there. Obviously, my good cousin Tarryn, he’s there. It would have been awesome to play with him, but it’s worked out perfectly.”

Richmond defender Rhyan Mansell says he is spurred on by North Melbourne’s decision to bypass him in his draft year, having been a member of the Kangaroos’ next generation academy.

“They didn’t see the potential in me. Richmond have taken the punt on me and they saw all the potential in me, so credit to Richmond for backing me in and giving me a good crack,” Mansell said.
“I spent a couple of years on North Melbourne’s next-gen academy and it didn’t work out and I definitely use that as a lot of motivation to where I’ve got to now.

“They had the chance to get me for near nothing as well so I was a bit flat that I didn’t get there. Obviously, my good cousin Tarryn, he’s there. It would have been awesome to play with him, but it’s worked out perfectly.”

Norf need all the talent they can get and let him slip
******* minrows

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
Yet to see him take a backward step, happy to wear contact and settled better this week and impacted contests when he needed to. With Vlastuin still a while off should get an extended run and a good taste of it and then be able to go back and work on the areas that will make him another well rounded Richmond man.

Mansell's done well, but I suspect the coaching staff may split Vlas' absence between he and Ralphsmith with a couple of games each to blood them. I won't mind him staying in at all, but it would be good to see Ralphsmith in action.

Great find mate. :thumbsu:

Their loss, they can use all the players with a spine they can get.

I've liked the look of Thomas though, smooth mover, he'll end up a great size once he fills out fully and his skills are above average already. I'd be happy to have him on our list.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Haven’t watched Hugo closely but I suspect they got different skill sets , ryhan has the tools to do a job for us. He s certainly got work ahead of him but the traits are what’s needed, tough, quick , good leg . Needs some weight on him but no hurry . Hugo looks to be an offensive defender in houli or short mould , prob play wing too

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Haven’t watched Hugo closely but I suspect they got different skill sets , ryhan has the tools to do a job for us. He s certainly got work ahead of him but the traits are what’s needed, tough, quick , good leg . Needs some weight on him but no hurry . Hugo looks to be an offensive defender in houli or short mould , prob play wing too
love the length of his kick off a step or two, handy to have a bit extra on the dump kick out when the pressure is on in our D50, gives our defenders a few seconds extra to reset.

El Tigre

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2010
Deutchland
AFL Club
Richmond
Hes got the advantage of having a few extra years of experience and maturity, although footy wasnt his first priority when younger. But he adjusted to the speed pretty quickly.
i think we have our small backs covered for a whiles yet. Defenders that can handle tall forwards is a different story.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
What we need is contested ball winners and he looks like having the Argo to go with the big boys.
nice find and hope he spurs on some of our other up and coming talent to toughen up.
imagine egg with this guys tenacity ?

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
I absolutely loved his mongrel on the weekend, and he has a bit of toe as well. He will be a regular in the side in the next few years.
maybe he frees up Baker to play up the field. Baker has great skills. Wouldn't mind seeing him in middle or even up fwd.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Stick him on Caleb Daniel this week

kid looks like another Baker 'like' player
bakelite.jpg

G String

All Australian
Jan 3, 2008
Brighton
AFL Club
Richmond
Love the way this guy plays - clean with the ball and tough/mongrel - does a lot of good things you dont notice and always puts a bit extra physical pressure on when he can.

I loved the way when he was out-numbered in a marking contest - he knew he was going to be blocked out of the contest by Martin (I think) so he decided he would just crash as hard as he could into Martin to make him earn it - knowing that he wouldn't give away 50 as he wasn't crashing into the man taking the mark - smart! They got the free - it was going to be an easy mark anyway but made Steph Martin think twice before doing the same thing again.

Back