Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s looking that way. His 2nd half’s so far have been pretty average, but I remember Cripps had real issues with running out games in his first season.

I don't think we should compare him to Cripps though. Cripps was never really seen as inconsistent like RCD. The big knock on RCD in his juniors was his inability to impact games for long stretches - Talent is clearly there but needs a lot of work imo.

I don't think we should compare him to Cripps though. Cripps was never really seen as inconsistent like RCD. The big knock on RCD in his juniors was his inability to impact games for long stretches - Talent is clearly there but needs a lot of work imo.
Definitely needs a lot of work to get fitness levels up to AFL level. That’s ok though he’ll get there and had he been an aerobic beast he’d have been a top 6 selection and at another club

Would we be better off playing Collier-Dawkins on the half back line in the VFL this year? I think his development will be enhanced by playing in a position that teaches him to read the play rather than in the bash and crash of the midfield at this stage.

Would we be better off playing Collier-Dawkins on the half back line in the VFL this year? I think his development will be enhanced by playing in a position that teaches him to read the play rather than in the bash and crash of the midfield at this stage.
Im sure at stages he will.
He will probably play forward as well.
At this rate he will be playing AFL soon :p

Riley Collier-Dawkins
18 disposals, 11 contested possessions, five clearances & six handball receives

“A strong body, he started the game really well. His 18 disposals, 11 contested, were a feature, as well as five clearances. It was really pleasing to see him play to his strengths.”

Nice little write up on RCD from last week's VFL game. Played purely as a midfielder and had a big impact. Those questioning his selection in the draft need to be patient as he'll take a little bit of time to fully develop.

Riley Collier-Dawkins

“A strong body, he started the game really well. His 18 disposals, 11 contested, were a feature, as well as five clearances. It was really pleasing to see him play to his strengths.”

Nice little write up on RCD from last week's VFL game. Played purely as a midfielder and had a big impact. Those questioning his selection in the draft need to be patient as he'll take a little bit of time to fully develop.
Ok _RT_ sounds like from your post you know what RC-D needs to work on...those stats sound like he does'nt need to work on anything....

Riley Collier-Dawkins

That sounds like a decent performance, bit more of the ball and a high number of his possessions were contested which is his game. Good signs he’s developing

Last edited:
Sometimes it takes a little longer for 18 year old kids who are used to playing against other kids.
I'd imagine it would be pretty daunting going straight into VFL with grown men.

Patrick Cripps only played three games in his first season (granted he had some injuries, and granted, probably unfair to compare RCD to him), so I'd say we'll be patient and allow him to develop and hone his craft in the VFL while he grows into his body.

In saying that, I'd be surprised if he didn't play the odd game or two in the back end of the season, games against the Saints, Suns, Blues might be a good opportunity?

Ok _RT_ sounds like from your post you know what RC-D needs to work on...those stats sound like he does'nt need to work on anything....
Watching him at the ground on Saturday his main issue was getting caught out of position at stoppages around the ground. He'd find himself in the wrong position and you could see him remembering where he was supposed to be and then get into that position. The other thing that he needs to work on IMO are the easy possessions that separates the good midfielders and the greats. In this game he got 18 disposals and 11 were contested, means very few possessions were in the open where he could really hurt the opposition with them. That will come with an improved tank and a better understanding of the positions he needs to get to, to be that dangerous option.

That sounds like a decent performance, bit more of the ball and a high number of his possessions were contested which is his game. Good signs he’s developing
Decent enough considering that he hasn't really played much midfield. As mentioned above, give the kid the chance to develop physically(tank and strength) and mentally(understanding positioning and game plan) and we'll have a real good one on our hands. Like any player it's not going to simply happen, he'll need to work hard to reach the level required, and given all reports that is exactly what he is doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back