Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Interview was great with him after the game

Basically said he loves being a blood brother and a Richmond man and that it was his best game for the club

Said he was apprehensive all year but fly told him today to back your self in and take the game on

Good coaching that. Ultimately, match winning advice, and well done to the kid for backing himself and nailing the two chances. Seems to have a long way to go to nail down an AFL midfield spot but has shown some good signs this year and looks to have loads of upside left in him physically and in terms of his knowledge of positioning etc. His biggest weakness has been his lack of uncontested possessions and those two goals were two shining examples of positioning to receive then exacting full toll with his carry and disposal.

Good coaching that. Ultimately, match winning advice, and well done to the kid for backing himself and nailing the two chances. Seems to have a long way to go to nail down an AFL midfield spot but has shown some good signs this year and looks to have loads of upside left in him physically and in terms of his knowledge of positioning etc. His biggest weakness has been his lack of uncontested possessions and those two goals were two shining examples of positioning to receive then exacting full toll with his carry and disposal.
He lacks a tank and that will come but he cracks in and loves a tackle. He’s still growing into his body and getting use to his frame there is plenty to work with

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Great to hear those comments. I remarked on the vfl matchday thread that it was the first time this season I had seen RCD take a mark and immediately wheel and go. He's propped and stopped all year, amazing how much space and how much more dangerous he looked when he just went at every opportunity. Reckon he'll take a massive amount of confidence out of today to take into preseason. Good lad.

May 10, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
He looks like he won't need to get 30 to be effective... was impressive today.

Yeah. I admit I was surprised when I saw he had 15 touches, obviously the two goals were the cherry on top, but loved his impact on the play which probably made it feel like he had more of the ball than he did. I’m excited

Glad people are starting to see what I was saying early on in the year about this kid. Has spent a year developing his body and game and will hit his second preseason full of confidence that he has what it takes. May not be an immediate addition to the side, but will work his way into the side next year and will do so without having to be a star from day one.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Thought he was BOG today
I had him behind Morris. I’ve watched him closely for a month now and have been impressed with his progress. Don’t know what the criticisms were for considering he’s a first year player.
He’s clean inside and finds space when not and hurts the opposition.
Fantastic prospect.

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
I was really impressed with how much he stood up when needed today. Was a great taste and reminder of the talent he has.

I know he really wasn’t ever close to seeing the senior side but I think this year will have still been really good for him. Hopefully he can continue to develop!

caddyshack

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
RCD was the kid I wanted in the draft. I was thrilled when he was still available at pick 20.

He grew 8cm in his draft year, so it was always going to take some time for him to adapt his game style and fill out his frame.
When it all comes together, I expect him to be a cross between Sydney's Josh Kennedy and Towner.

He'll break games open, and kill a few blokes along the way...

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
RCD was the kid I wanted in the draft. I was thrilled when he was still available at pick 20.

He grew 8cms in his draft year, so it was always going to take some time for him to adapt his game style and fill out his frame.
When it all comes together, I expect him to be a cross between Sydney's Josh Kennedy and Towner.

He'll break games open, and kill a few blokes along the way...

Me too but didnt believe he would have slipped to us at pick #20 and most had him gone before pick #15+

s**t numbers for just about each game bar 1 is a cause for concern no matter which way you spin it imo.

At least we got Stack and Ross I suppose.
This kid is special and special things are worth the wait

Our (Richmond) first round drafting sucks balls

Wouldnt be writing this 1st round pick off just yet.

Just re watched the game and apart from his touches and goals RCD is a very different player to the kid i watched earlier in the year and now doesnt ball watch but actually create position and space to give the side options, I think with another pre season under his belt he will come into 2020 a player thats ready to step up and dominate games like he did today.

Im Excited about what Balta , Chol , RCD , Pickett , Stack , Naish , Turner and couple more will produce next year
Our club is in a good place

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Me too but didnt believe he would have slipped to us at pick #20 and most had him gone before pick #15+

This kid is special and special things are worth the wait

Wouldnt be writing this 1st round pick off just yet.

Just re watched the game and apart from his touches and goals RCD is a very different player to the kid i watched earlier in the year and now doesnt ball watch but actually create position and space to give the side options, I think with another pre season under his belt he will come into 2020 a player thats ready to step up and dominate games like he did today.

Im Excited about what Balta , Chol , RCD , Pickett , Stack , Naish , Turner and couple more will produce next year
Our club is in a good place
Hey Gun watched Turner today kid loves to run and roost it long only problem was his kicks were picked off by the Willy defenders too easily!
If he keeps doing what he does naturally he's not going to last here...needs to learn other tricks a lot more!
Of the two thought English was a harder player at the ball...

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Hey Gun watched Turner today kid loves to run and roost it long only problem was his kicks were picked off by the Willy defenders too easily!
If he keeps doing what he does naturally he's not going to last here...needs to learn other tricks a lot more!
Of the two thought English was a harder player at the ball...
I watched the game also and it was not one of his better games , Never really got into it but the williamstown players were really putting work into both him and Naish. Was a big game though and he is very young still

Jul 4, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Very happy to read he's had a good game onnthe grand final!

Still think he needs to hire a running coach going into his 2nd pre season as he needs to get to more contests and that will help him find more ball. He 100% has the ability in the contest. Just have to be patient.
When his upper body catches up to his lower body is going to be a beast. Has genuine speed skills and loves to tackle

Well he knows he's good enough now! Hopefully he can take this year and put in a good pre-season to develop his tank and some more muscle. He's got the tools to be a very good player. And a definite point of difference. Big strong fast and love the hard stuff, but has skill. In 2/3 years he could be a fantastic addition to our AFL team.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Well he knows he's good enough now! Hopefully he can take this year and put in a good pre-season to develop his tank and some more muscle. He's got the tools to be a very good player. And a definite point of difference. Big strong fast and love the hard stuff, but has skill. In 2/3 years he could be a fantastic addition to our AFL team.
That's the hard part...knowing your good enough to compete...
The next hardest is building the frame up... :thumbsu:

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Will be Cotchin’s replacement imo.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Would think he will get games next year, not sure Cotch is ready to move over just yet.

What a problem to have, fitting in RCD, Ross, Pickett, Stack into our midfield.
I’m looking at 2021 and beyond. Cotchin did say he would retire if we won a flag and now he’s going for two. 😏
He’s getting more and more niggles each year bc he’s totally sacrificed his body for the club and could easily pull the pin anytime. ☹️

When his upper body catches up to his lower body is going to be a beast. Has genuine speed skills and loves to tackle

I was surpised how quick off the mark he was. I didnt know he had that turn of speed

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I was surpised how quick off the mark he was. I didnt know he had that turn of speed
Agree i said last week i wish he had a bit more toe, but he looked more nimble this week. His last two weeks were actually top shelf and as i said earlier very impressive.

Back