Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

At times we really do seem to be short of big bodied mids against certain sides, rcd could be the answer Caddy isnt. I wonder if nank could fill this role .
Nank is a ruck that also plays as a ruck-rover anyway.

RCD has size and aggression, without Cotchin there we have nobody else that uses their bodies to get to the ball. Against the rugby pack style Port mids you need a bit of grunt, so he would give that. He wouldn't necessarily have troubled the stats men much, nobody did, but he might have hit the pack hard and at least caused spillages, as Cotchin does.

Does anyone have a recent weight for rcd? I know he's tall for a mid but when he was drafted I thought he was pretty lanky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol maybe
I’m thinking though to make a debut in a contest that was as hot as that yesterday, he would’ve been a deer in headlights
And you know that do you. He at least plays a physical game and has the size and aggression to match the Port mids. Without Dusty in there yesterday we had Bolton and Stack doing the heavy work, 78 kg's vs Wines 98kg's and Powell Pepper 95kg. Was never going to work on the skinny ground at Port.

Don’t know why some of us are so hell bent on him getting a shot, not writing him off by any means but from what I’ve seen of him, still a way off. He would’ve got 5 touches yesterday
Would he have been any worse than Caddy, Castagna, Egg-Smith or Ross yesterday? Graham barely gets a kick and he regularly gets selected.

He fills a glaring weakness in our side and according to Dimma he’s pushing for selection so he must be doing something right.

He looked s**t against Collingwood in the pre-season game, but so did Balta and Balta has come on immensely.

We will beat Gold Coast, so giving him a crack to see what he has to offer to me is a no brainer.

Developing slowly

Which is perfect. We are one club that is fortunate to be able to leave talent to develop instead of throwing them to the wolves ala the blues and by the age of 24-25 they are broken in body. People forget he had a major growth spurt and he is actually still growing into his body which just needs time. I have 100% zero doubt we have a winner here and i am stoked the club knows that too.

Think of him as a developing raw tall not a mid in regards to having patience with him.

Would he have been any worse than Caddy, Castagna, Egg-Smith or Ross yesterday? Graham barely gets a kick and he regularly gets selected.

He fills a glaring weakness in our side and according to Dimma he’s pushing for selection so he must be doing something right.

He looked sh*t against Collingwood in the pre-season game, but so did Balta and Balta has come on immensely.

We will beat Gold Coast, so giving him a crack to see what he has to offer to me is a no brainer.
I wanna see him get a game too mate but with pretty much no match practice I just don’t wanna give him a game “just because”

I wanna see him get a game too mate but with pretty much no match practice I just don’t wanna give him a game “just because”
It’s not just because. I listed the reasons in my post.

Anyway, hopefully he plays because he adds something we currently don’t have.

Which is perfect. We are one club that is fortunate to be able to leave talent to develop instead of throwing them to the wolves ala the blues and by the age of 24-25 they are broken in body. People forget he had a major growth spurt and he is actually still growing into his body which just needs time. I have 100% zero doubt we have a winner here and i am stoked the club knows that too.

Think of him as a developing raw tall not a mid in regards to having patience with him.
It is great we give our youngsters the time and enviroment they need to succeed. However, having watched RCD at juniors and VFL, I am much more pessimistic on his chance of making it as an AFL midfielder. He simply does not find enough of it, isn't a 2 way runner which the modern game requires, and IMO the much hyped "high impact" he has with his few possessions is grossly overstated. I'm almost certain he will be a bust as a mid. Luckily he has height and maybe that provides an oppourtunity for him as a half back or half forward (he does read the play well, so that may well be his saving grace at AFL level). Maybe the odd burst in the midfield to go with it. But i just cannot see him becoming a full time midfielder.

It is great we give our youngsters the time and enviroment they need to succeed. However, having watched RCD at juniors and VFL, I am much more pessimistic on his chance of making it as an AFL midfielder. He simply does not find enough of it, isn't a 2 way runner which the modern game requires, and IMO the much hyped "high impact" he has with his few possessions is grossly overstated. I'm almost certain he will be a bust as a mid. Luckily he has height and maybe that provides an oppourtunity for him as a half back or half forward (he does read the play well, so that may well be his saving grace at AFL level). Maybe the odd burst in the midfield to go with it. But i just cannot see him becoming a full time midfielder.
Said it before.
Grimes apprentice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back