Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Michaels would you agree though that we very well could be planning on giving game time in 2019 to debutant mids (e.g. 5-6 games) to build depth?

yeah I think there could be something in this. But I reckon RCD might fall into the Pat Naish bracket, of being named emergency a lot. Some of the other guys have that solid build that can probably handle it a bit better and they would be the ones we may try this with.

We would be crazy to not try and do that, but only as long as the player coming in 1) has solid form in the VFL & 2) fills a need.

yeah I think there could be something in this. But I reckon RCD might fall into the Pat Naish bracket, of being named emergency a lot. Some of the other guys have that solid build that can probably handle it a bit better and they would be the ones we may try this with.

We would be crazy to not try and do that, but only as long as the player coming in 1) has solid form in the VFL & 2) fills a need.
Yep agree

If RCD rips up the VFL I reckon they'll give a game or 2. He's a big boy and should be able to deal with it physically - for a few games.

If he plays a stack of games, then we either have got another good one for a late first rounder, or we've got injuries (in which case will we become 'brave')

I don't think he will play any games in 2019, simply due to his growth spurt he is still trying to work out his new size and how to best use it.

let him develop for a year in the VFL I reckon, no rush to bring him in unless his form says otherwise.
i make bet with u he plays 1-5 games

I don't think he will play any games in 2019, simply due to his growth spurt he is still trying to work out his new size and how to best use it.

let him develop for a year in the VFL I reckon, no rush to bring him in unless his form says otherwise.
I agree, Its a big step up to VFL level from where he comes from and with his limited tank he would struggle to get through games similar to Bolton then you add the growth spurt and it would just sap the kid of any confidence.

Just work on his fitness and strengthening and get him playing a consistent level at VFL and another pre season end of 2019 then have him playing the following year. Ross & English look to be more ready to get games this year

I agree, Its a big step up to VFL level from where he comes from and with his limited tank he would struggle to get through games similar to Bolton then you add the growth spurt and it would just sap the kid of any confidence.

Just work on his fitness and strengthening and get him playing a consistent level at VFL and another pre season end of 2019 then have him playing the following year. Ross & English look to be more ready to get games this year

yep I reckon that is a win win for the club. Not sure if this is too much to ask, but I'd like to see him featuring in the bests on a regular basis come the end of the VFL season.

would you play him in JLT for some early exposure to get a better gauge of where he is at?

we are in a good position where we don't have to rush new players in.

let them have some time to learn 'the richmond way' before exposing them, its things like that which were why teams like Hawthorn and Geelong were so good for so long.

having said all of that I'm really looking forward to seeing him play no matter what level it is.

I know we are a bit divided by the concept, but i reckon he is a lock for AFLX.
This is unlikely at the captains pick the teams

yep I reckon that is a win win for the club. Not sure if this is too much to ask, but I'd like to see him featuring in the bests on a regular basis come the end of the VFL season.

would you play him in JLT for some early exposure to get a better gauge of where he is at?
With extended squads for the JLT games i'd give all the draftees 1 game each, 2-3 each game, give them a taste of what the top level is like & see how they go. Builds hunger. given most Clubs have around 35 players played each yr it's possible they'll play snr's at some stage depending on how they are going. if thier form warrants selection then fantastic.

JLT is just a mickey mouse comp and doesnt really mean anything or give any indication of the type of player he will becom, Just a viewing so for members supporters pr then yes but the VFL is where he will get his grounding and development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All for earning his stripes through the VFL along with the other rookies.
Long gone are days of playing kids to sell memberships.
As unlikely as it is, if we see he can make an immediate impact I think we should play him straight away as the position he plays in is something we lack in. I want to see one of Ross or Collier-Dawkins slot in straight away as our midfield is probably our weakest part of the ground right now not including our ruck department.

As unlikely as it is, if we see he can make an immediate impact I think we should play him straight away as the position he plays in is something we lack in. I want to see one of Ross or Collier-Dawkins slot in straight away as our midfield is probably our weakest part of the ground right now not including our ruck department.

Caddy, Weller and Higgins will get a crack before Dawks and if towener slims down over the pre season I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the middle either and out of the recruits I think Ross will be first in line if a spot becomes available

Caddy, Weller and Higgins will get a crack before Dawks and if towener slims down over the pre season I wouldn’t be shocked to see him in the middle either and out of the recruits I think Ross will be first in line if a spot becomes available
Not sure about Caddy. The other two I agree.

Well, Caddy will definitely be getting a midfield gig before Collier-Dawkins (which I do agree with) but he really needs to step up in the midfield more than what he did if he wants to get regular gigs as a midfielder. There are too many times where I cannot find his whereabouts. Terrible howlers isn’t his issue, but I want him to win more of the ball. Higgins is tracking nicely and Weller is a fresh new face.

Yeah Ross will probably be the first out of the draftees to get a gig in the midfield in my opinion.

Not sure it's that weak.
Graham/Dusty & Cotch can play that role.

Not sure it's that weak.
Graham/Dusty & Cotch can play that role.
Our midfield is good relative to the competition, but it is weak compared to our defence and forward line since they are elite and I don’t think our midfield as a whole is. Hence, I’d like to see a bit of change in it heading towards next year just so that we can continue to build on the last two years.

The key is for Caddy to step up in the midfield. His position in the forward line can be filled (as opposed to someone like Vlastuin leaving to the midfield as he’s crucial in defence). He is the remaining piece of the midfield puzzle. If he does come through like we are hoping he will, then we’ll have Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Prestia and Caddy as our capable players on the inside. C’mon Caddy, show us what we think you are capable of.

Not sure about Caddy. The other two I agree.

Well, Caddy will definitely be getting a midfield gig before Collier-Dawkins (which I do agree with) but he really needs to step up in the midfield more than what he did if he wants to get regular gigs as a midfielder. There are too many times where I cannot find his whereabouts. Terrible howlers isn’t his issue, but I want him to win more of the ball. Higgins is tracking nicely and Weller is a fresh new face.

Yeah Ross will probably be the first out of the draftees to get a gig in the midfield in my opinion.
Our midfield is good relative to the competition, but it is weak compared to our defence and forward line since they are elite and I don’t think our midfield as a whole is. Hence, I’d like to see a bit of change in it heading towards next year just so that we can continue to build on the last two years.

The key is for Caddy to step up in the midfield. His position in the forward line can be filled (as opposed to someone like Vlastuin leaving to the midfield as he’s crucial in defence). He is the remaining piece of the midfield puzzle. If he does come through like we are hoping he will, then we’ll have Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Prestia and Caddy as our capable players on the inside. C’mon Caddy, show us what we think you are capable of.

Couldn’t agree more with both paragraphs
I want to see caddy in the middle using his size to bully the opp players and winning that hard ball
We have lacked a genuine big bodyied mids for years and until dawks is ready it’s caddy’s spot

Whilst i would love to think / believe that we do have the options of Caddy & Vlastuin going through the midfield so far they have not been able to make an impact as we would have liked them to do when they have had the chance in the past.

Would be great to be able to have them part of the midfield rotations as it would give our midfield more options and depth in whats probably our weakest part of the ground, Markov looking like he is in for a big year to allow Vlastuin more midfield time and with Lynch coming in this also allows Caddy some more freedom to rotate through there

I agree with Caddy.Hence why we don't need to rush any of the kids.

Two Brownlow medallist onballers and midfield is our weakest link. Wow.

I like the look of this kid but skinny gangly kids need to fill out. Any more than 3 games for him this year and I'll be very surprised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back