Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Everyone needs to pull back regarding this kid. He is unlikely to ever reach the standard of those you've mentioned.

Reason is he doesn't find his own football. He has low possession numbers and in almost ever piece of play, he is receiving a handball. I was shocked we drafted him with his low numbers and a player like Ross is far more likely to reach a high standard. I hope I'm wrong and the kid kills it but I am not one who thinks he'll be a star.

I think he would be better served as a HBF type, going past and receiving the handball - run and deliver type.

On his performances so far I'd agree. But when you look at the actual things he does, he's contested ball. I am no expert on him, but it seems that his style is hitting the contest at high speed and smashing in. That is hard work and if his tank isn't that good he'll blow up quickly, and won't be able to make contests. So if he can improve his tank / repeat efforts then he could easily start to rack the contested ball up. And without a tank he won't get those easy run past balls much either. He seems to me to be a very talented guy, both in skills and physically. But he needs to improve drastically in a number of areas.
  • Size to actually be able to smash through fully grown men
  • Fitness to be able to do repeat efforts and to run outside
  • Game smarts, to be in the right place at the right time
  • Rounding out hw he plays. He does a few things well, and appears to stick to that (so far)
So I don't see a top end player any time soon. But if he can d what I've said I see no reason he cannot be a relatively high possession player that really impacts. If once a quarter he gets the contested ball breaks through and opens the play up he will be worth his spot. If he can also add outside run and carry (he's got all the tools) then he could be a great weapon. Add in defensive stuff (he likes a tackle already) and the tap on, 1%s and he's potentially a very difficult guy to match up on, and adds to our team. If he does that and goes high possessions (25+) then he could be a genuine AFL star. But I won't hold my breath. My hope is that in 2021 he is challenging for an AFL spot and when he plays AFL he causes real problems. Then say 2023 he is a regular that creates goals for us, and causes big problems for the oppo.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Agree but a one game performance at a lower grade is no ticket to stardom. I was responding to comments comparing RCD to stars of the game. Fyfe , Bont and Cripps.
Its the VFL grand Final !!!

For me that indicates that this kid does not get overawed in big games and with another 2 more years of development and a tank/frame that will be fyfe like
He will do alot of damage.

Its the VFL grand Final !!!

For me that indicates that this kid does not get overawed in big games and with another 2 more years of development and a tank/frame that will be fyfe like
He will do alot of damage.
Yes VFL. I know it's the GF. Game was not loaded with AFL standard players, let alone stars. 2 years of development may turn him into a player, however, I doubt a star. We'll have to differ in our opinions.

On his performances so far I'd agree. But when you look at the actual things he does, he's contested ball. I am no expert on him, but it seems that his style is hitting the contest at high speed and smashing in. That is hard work and if his tank isn't that good he'll blow up quickly, and won't be able to make contests. So if he can improve his tank / repeat efforts then he could easily start to rack the contested ball up. And without a tank he won't get those easy run past balls much either. He seems to me to be a very talented guy, both in skills and physically. But he needs to improve drastically in a number of areas.
  • Rounding out hw he plays. He does a few things well, and appears to stick to that (so far)
So I don't see a top end player any time soon. But if he can d what I've said I see no reason he cannot be a relatively high possession player that really impacts. If once a quarter he gets the contested ball breaks through and opens the play up he will be worth his spot. If he can also add outside run and carry (he's got all the tools) then he could be a great weapon. Add in defensive stuff (he likes a tackle already) and the tap on, 1%s and he's potentially a very difficult guy to match up on, and adds to our team. If he does that and goes high possessions (25+) then he could be a genuine AFL star. But I won't hold my breath. My hope is that in 2021 he is challenging for an AFL spot and when he plays AFL he causes real problems. Then say 2023 he is a regular that creates goals for us, and causes big problems for the oppo.
I agree with you! I don't see a top end player any time soon.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
the best thing about RCD is death riding Liam Stocker

Yes VFL. I know it's the GF. Game was not loaded with AFL standard players, let alone stars. 2 years of development may turn him into a player, however, I doubt a star. We'll have to differ in our opinions.

Willy is a good team. They made the grand final in a league of afl players. very very almost won too against richmonds afl listed players

RCD played about as good as Pickett and was a stand out. Who knows how well RCD wouldve gone if given a chance the next week?

I thought he was a bit stiff to be left out of the Stack/Ross/Mcintosh/Pickett debate for the afl grand final

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Did you watch the game ? It was a brilliant game and high intensity that went to the wire and RCD performances at the end when it counted was fantastic

That game alone would have been at a higher standard than 30-35% of most afl games and the kid perfomed when it ounted

You are under selling his game

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Can we have another like him ................... Please
AFL-Draft-Watch-Cooper-Stephens-895x490.jpg

Did you watch the game ? It was a brilliant game and high intensity that went to the wire and RCD performances at the end when it counted was fantastic

That game alone would have been at a higher standard than 30-35% of most afl games and the kid perfomed when it ounted

You are under selling his game
Yes, I watched the game and yes a high intensity game but none the less still VFL. I am not trying to pot the kid, just not as enthusiastic about the level he'll reach as others. I think he may make a solid player, not convinced he will be a star. I truly hope I'm eating humble pie and he becomes that star but he has not shown much other than the last half performance in that game. Ross is miles ahead of him in almost all facets of the game. Ditto stack.

Jul 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes, I watched the game and yes a high intensity game but none the less still VFL. I am not trying to pot the kid, just not as enthusiastic about the level he'll reach as others. I think he may make a solid player, not convinced he will be a star. I truly hope I'm eating humble pie and he becomes that star but he has not shown much other than the last half performance in that game. Ross is miles ahead of him in almost all facets of the game. Ditto stack.
Ross didn’t look miles ahead of him in the last two vfl games they played togetherness

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Which of the players currently on the list then do you believe will be a 'Star' Sydney stack has shown he is capable but who else that was drafted in the last 24 months ?

Which of the players currently on the list then do you believe will be a 'Star' Sydney stack has shown he is capable but who else that was drafted in the last 24 months ?
Stack yes. CCJ yes. RCD, Turner and Ross should make players. Balta only God knows. Heaps of talent.
Possibly Bolton, so much Xfactor.

I agree with you! I don't see a top end player any time soon.

Yes. But I do see the potential for a star player over time.

He's probably 2 years behind his peers when drafted. So I reckon it'll take him 2 years to get to a level equivalent to Sydney Stack - being AFL ready.

If they can turn him into a repeat effort beast and train some positioning smarts into him then I see a potential star player. But I know they are big IF's. Still I see genuine knock your socks off talent. Just not realized talent as yet.

Most guys drafted don't look like they have the tools to be genuinely top shelf. IMHO RCD does.

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Everyone needs to pull back regarding this kid. He is unlikely to ever reach the standard of those you've mentioned.

Reason is he doesn't find his own football. He has low possession numbers and in almost ever piece of play, he is receiving a handball. I was shocked we drafted him with his low numbers and a player like Ross is far more likely to reach a high standard. I hope I'm wrong and the kid kills it but I am not one who thinks he'll be a star.

I think he would be better served as a HBF type, going past and receiving the handball - run and deliver type.
This is absolutely spot on regarding him getting enough ball, not just contested either. the knocks on his game was consistency and getting enough ball.
This yr it seems that has remained a problem but i think he has the tools to over come that to win contested ball and also be a very good clearance player.

This coming draft the player id like to get my hands on most outside of the top 5 or so is Brodie Kemp he will likely go top 10 anyway.A proven ball winner and a very good size and very versatile.

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli

Strange insight considering every recruiter said he is contested beast and great at winning first possession at stoppages. Which is also how Craig McRae and the VFL coaches have described him all season, as shown below in a round by round assessment.

Riley Collier-Dawkins
11 disposals, three handball receives, one clearance.

“We tried Riley at half-back for the first half and he did okay. He learnt a few lessons in positioning which will be good for his development and then he went on-ball in the second half.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
18 disposals, 11 contested possessions, five clearances & six handball receives

“A strong body, he started the game really well. His 18 disposals, 11 contested, were a feature, as well as five clearances. It was really pleasing to see him play to his strengths.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
18 disposals, 15 contested possessions, seven tackles & four clearances

“Looks a real promising player for us. A big, strong inside midfielder. A lot of handballs on the day - 18 disposals on the day, 12 of those handballs - high tackle numbers again with seven. His ability to break the game open in the third quarter was critical to the outcome. He’s playing some great footy.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
18 disposals, seven clearances & three tackles

“Improves every week. His defence is really standing out. Big-bodied, seven clearances led the team, and played a really important role in our defensive structure.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
19 disposals, nine handball receives, four tackles & five inside-50s

“Learning every week, while playing consistent footy.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
13 disposals, four tackles & three clearances

“He came back after being a carry-over (player) last week and played as an inside ‘mid’, good around the contest, eight contested possessions of his 13 (disposals), three clearances. We just need to get him to spread to the outside to get involved in that part of the game.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
16 disposals, five tackles, three centre clearances & five clearances

“Was a bull inside and extracted the ball on numerous occasions, but just couldn’t get much outside ball, so he’ll be working on complementing his game in that manner.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Eight disposals, three marks, two tackles, three inside-50s & two rebound-50s

“He had to play a bit more forward this week. He came into the game with a bit of illness and fought really hard for us.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
23 disposals, two goals & four tackles

“Played his best game for the season at this level, 23 disposals, eight clearances and kicked two goals himself. He’s really invested in the team and he got rewarded on the day. It was a great performance.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
11 disposals, six tackles & three clearances

“Was a quietish day but threw his weight around laid some big tackles. He just wasn’t able to get on the end of any easy ball.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
Seven disposals, five tackles & one clearance

“It was a tough day, he didn’t impact as he usually does. Defensively, he was just a bit off and he wasn’t able to win the contested ball as he normally does and then spread and get involved in our uncontested game.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
17 disposals, eight tackles, three clearances & five inside-50s

“Was one of his better games in a couple of weeks. He got his hands on the ball, had eight tackles which is unbelievable around the contest. He’s a big body, we like it when he’s smashing in and that’s when he’s at his best. I liked his game on the weekend.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
14 disposals, nine tackles, seven clearances, four marks & four inside-50s

“He was tough, with seven clearances, nine contested possessions of his 14 disposals. He was really strong at the ball, I’ve really liked his last few weeks. He’s developing and he’s going to be a nice player for us.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
12 disposals, seven tackles & six clearances

“Doesn’t always accumulate high numbers but plays an aggressive brand of footy and can have high impact on the game which was the case versus the Pies. Played like an old school centreman controlling the middle (of the ground).”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
17 disposals, six handball receives, three tackles & five clearances

“Playing midfield, he had 17 disposals which was one of his higher disposal games in a number of weeks. He looked tough in the contest, really strong and physical. I really enjoyed his game with his five clearances, which led the team.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
16 disposals, seven handball receives, three tackles & two inside-50s

“Enjoyed the space of the MCG, bursting out of clearances, it looked like he had real speed and power in what he was doing and continues to show each week that he’s heading in the right direction.”

Riley Collier-Dawkins
16 disposals, seven handball receives, seven tackles & four clearances (three centre clearances)

“An inside mid(fielder) and played a little bit forward, seven tackles which was really pleasing to see, Riley’s playing his best when that part of his game is up.”

Unfortunately I can't find the VFL reports for finals, _RT_ might know as he posts a lot of this stuff. It is his really poor endurance (bottom 20% in his draft) and inability to spread, win easy ball in transition and consistency that are his weaknesses. You can see that hand ball receives increase as the year goes on as they coach him to spread and pick up easy ball. But there are a hell of a lot of games when he gets more than 50% of his possessions contested, which is high, not to mention a number of big clearance games and lots of tackles.

Will he be a star? Well for mine its really up to him on how hard he wants to work, because he has the pace, size, contested ability, defensive effort and skills (that pick up off the ground and handball over his shoulder while being tackled in the granny was brilliant and he does that a lot by hand, in fact he reminds me most of Clayton Oliver in that regard) needed. But lacks the endurance and gut running ability, which are essential (probably the most important traits) for transitioning potential to output.

Last edited:

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
RCD. will be a 200 + game ( barring injury)champion of our club
Agree with some that 2021 and onwards will be when he makes
His mark, he is behind in some areas but time and expert
Development coaching will see these weaknesses become strengths
What I really like about RCD is he loves the physical stuff
Loves tackling,, loves putting his head over the ball,he loves being
A team player,, and he wants to succeed,
A midfield of RCD, ROSS and HIGGINS for the next 10 years
Gets me very very firm

Strange insight considering every recruiter said he is contested beast and great at winning first possession at stoppages. Which is also how Craig McRae and the VFL coaches have described him all season, as shown below in a round by round assessment.

Unfortunately I can't find the VFL reports for finals, _RT_ might know as he posts a lot of this stuff. It is his really poor endurance (bottom 20% in his draft) and inability to spread, win easy ball in transition and consistency that are his weaknesses. But you can see that hand ball receives increase as the year goes on as they coach him to spread and pick up easy ball. But there are a hell of a lot of games when he gets more than 50% of his possessions contested, which is high, not to mention a number of big clearance games and lots of tackles.

Will he be a star? Well for mine its really up to him on how hard he wants to work, because he has the pace, size, contested ability, defensive effort and skills (that pick up off the ground and handball over his shoulder while being tackled in the granny was brilliant and he does that a lot by hand, in fact he reminds me most of Clayton Oliver in that regard) needed. But lacks the endurance and gut running ability, which are essential (probably the most important traits) for transitioning potential to output.
They didn't produce any reports for the finals series which is disappointing.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

I see him as running defender first, midfielder we will see.

I have know idea as I am not watching him develop but the way he moves and his physical attributes, I am not sure he is made for a inside clearance per see. Don't know, might be wrong. I would have to watch him in the guts in contested situations to get a gut feel but its encourage many seem to think he likes the contest. Cannot see why he cannot be provided opportunities through the midfield and see what happens. I just think with his height and movement at least defensively its something he can fall back to if proficient in and he seems to excel in running through the lines

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Unfortunately I can't find the VFL reports for finals, _RT_ might know as he posts a lot of this stuff. It is his really poor endurance (bottom 20% in his draft) and inability to spread, win easy ball in transition and consistency that are his weaknesses. You can see that hand ball receives increase as the year goes on as they coach him to spread and pick up easy ball. But there are a hell of a lot of games when he gets more than 50% of his possessions contested, which is high, not to mention a number of big clearance games and lots of tackles.

Yeah its the other way around. He doesnt find enough uncontested possessions, yet.

same as in juniors

I see him as running defender first, midfielder we will see

na he (RCD) seems like a contested bull Cripps lite :moustache:

definitely a mid and an inside one

They didn't produce any reports for the finals series which is disappointing.

was very handy in the premiership. Like others have said he hits hard which is hard to find stats for but its good.

Richmond 58 - Willy 55
RICHMOND
Goal Kickers: R. Collier-Dawkins 2, J. Townsend 2, P. Naish, M. Pickett, O. Markov, J. Ballard
Best Players: M. Pickett, S. Morris, C. Coleman-Jones, R. Collier-Dawkins, R. Garthwaite, D. Eggmolesse-Smith

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
RCD. will be a 200 + game ( barring injury)champion of our club
Agree with some that 2021 and onwards will be when he makes
His mark, he is behind in some areas but time and expert
Development coaching will see these weaknesses become strengths
What I really like about RCD is he loves the physical stuff
Loves tackling,, loves putting his head over the ball,he loves being
A team player,, and he wants to succeed,
A midfield of RCD, ROSS and HIGGINS for the next 10 years
Gets me very very firm
You might be right about 200 games , he certainly has the durability, played every game this season. All the other draftees ( Ross , Turner and English) missed 10 plus weeks through injury.

Back