Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Also mentioned earlier in the interview that RCD was good before later saying he was going okay up forward. No development coach is going to say a player isn't progressing as expected in public, that is just what some are reading into it. And he might not be, but it is a weird year, and he is not on his own, so impossible to say really. It's not like they are going to delist him, so it is all speculation one way or another until next year probably.
Yep no way he gets delisted is still only a pup

Agree. It's my hope he does start to get the ball more and impact. This year might accelerate his physical development. But he needs to play against men to learn how to impact the game - defensively and offensively. We'll see next year. There will be a lot of young guys across the AFL basically left in limbo in 2020.
Young players may find themselves in limbo and a couple may be delisted prematurely should list sizes drop. I rate Frazer Turner higher than RCD. His possession rate is higher and he's younger. I hope kids like him are not lost.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Young players may find themselves in limbo and a couple may be delisted prematurely should list sizes drop. I rate Frazer Turner higher than RCD. His possession rate is higher and he's younger. I hope kids like him are not lost.

I’d be pretty shocked if either of those were delisted without playing senior footy. Hopefully the second tier returns next year and we will be in a much better position to see for ourselves. I wouldn’t think there would be that many players who are decent in VFL at 18yo and no good at 20.

I reckon, form my own logic, and what T71 says, that our depth players are highly regarded and other clubs want them. If we have to lose a few then we might be able to turn them into a star player (dream) or picks. Either way I'm hoping that if we have to lose some (and it sounds like we do) then we can move them to another club. It might mean guys like Graham move on. Which sucks hugely. But if he gets a long AFL career and we get something tasty in return then I can live with it.

For a club that sucks, say Adelaide, they want to get in players like Graham and their kids have no value. So it might be massacre on their list. I suspect it could take years for some clubs to recover from this 2020 list reduction. If we keep some of the best young guys we might be able to translate into another window in 5 years, cause other clubs couldn't make the transition due to their lists being slashed and them not having the quality or development system.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
X Clarke sounded less than enthusiastic about RCD a few weeks ago tells me he isn't progressing as well as expected even taking into account current situation.

The games are 16 a side and you have players playing for OTHER team

It's a decking joke hard to judge form. Very unlucky for 2mums to have no VFL with Corona. In his important 2nd season.

Bog in the vfl grand final .. however being behind Dow this week as an emg isn't ideal

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Turner is playing as a back pocket rcd ia in the guts.

Possession is an overrated stat in the modern game imo.

More so with richmond style the last few years. Gws had a pretty good grand final statically. Not on the scoreboard.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
People just have to accept.He slipped for a reason.Clubs are not that stupid(exception Bloos).People who think he's going to be the next Bont or Cripps can forget it.
He didnt really 'slip' He was expected to go between #13-#18 and we got him at #20(
Noah Balta & Jack Riewoldt also 'slipped' as did Shai Bolton who was thought of as a sub 20's selection

Not like he was meant to get picked at 10 and went at 40

(before you go onto say if we didnt pick him up he would have , Saints were trying to get the stocker pick #19 to select RCD

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Diffferent players, RCD has hurt factor, Turner is more an accumulator. Both have a future.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Yea I’d spew if we lost players like him,

More so with richmond style the last few years. Gws had a pretty good grand final statically. Not on the scoreboard.
Turner is a wingman. Possession is not overrated if the player has quality disposal. Onballers can not get away with 10 possies. Face it if RCD was good enough he'd have been played by now.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
The games are 16 a side and you have players playing for OTHER team

It's a decking joke hard to judge form. Very unlucky for 2mums to have no VFL with Corona. In his important 2nd season.

Bog in the vfl grand final .. however being behind Dow this week as an emg isn't ideal
Its hard on everyone not in best 22.Think we've gone down the path of playing those with a touch of afl experience(Egg & Markov)over those without any.
Rightly so i guess as we are still in premiership mode.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Have said it before but we should look at grooming RCD as Grimes replacement.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
He didnt really 'slip' He was expected to go between #13-#18 and we got him at #20(
Noah Balta & Jack Riewoldt also 'slipped' as did Shai Bolton who was thought of as a sub 20's selection

(before you go onto say if we didnt pick him up he would have , Saints were trying to get the stocker pick #19 to select RCD
If we didn't pick him up.(You know the rest) :p

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Turner is a wingman. Possession is not overrated if the player has quality disposal. Onballers can not get away with 10 possies. Face it if RCD was good enough he'd have been played by now.
So when Dimma likens him to Dangerfield he's just having a laugh. Riewoldt gave him a big rap just a few weeks a go. How come Ross who is playing the same roll has only played 3 games in the midfield. And he looked like a gun last year. Graham has been dropped a couple of times. Caddy can't get back in.

And he average 13 disposals in the VFL, with 10 of those games over 16 disposals. Not bad for a kid playing the hardest position on the ground. Why are you so adamant that he can't make the jump from TAC cup to AFL, because that was your call back then. Half of Richmond's side didn't even get drafted. My nephew played on Grimes in his under 18 year and said he was very average an really surprised he was drafted. (He was drafted so he had some measure of who was what).

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I swear people who say RCD can't get the ball never watch VFL games. Each week he gets the ball but is unable to break the tackle I reckon six to 15 times. That's his game, he smashes into opponents at the stoppage. He'll take the ball and seek contact, like Dusty. When he grows into his size his disposal numbers will rise. Even more so when his tank grows so he can get some outside ball as well.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I swear people who say RCD can't get the ball never watch VFL games. Each week he gets the ball but is unable to break the tackle I reckon six to 15 times. That's his game, he smashes into opponents at the stoppage. He'll take the ball and seek contact, like Dusty. When he grows into his size his disposal numbers will rise. Even more so when his tank grows so he can get some outside ball as well.
That ability to lay body on players whether getting the ball himself or hitting his man with it is fairly rare. He enjoys the heavy stuff and he has the pace to get to contests and out of them. We do not have a player like that except Graham who struggles a bit against quality opponents because they are quicker than him by foot or mind, as quality players are. Once RCD gets AFL match fit, a bit like Bolton, he will impact contests.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
That ability to lay body on players whether getting the ball himself or hitting his man with it is fairly rare. He enjoys the heavy stuff and he has the pace to get to contests and out of them. We do not have a player like that except Graham who struggles a bit against quality opponents because they are quicker than him by foot or mind, as quality players are. Once RCD gets AFL match fit, a bit like Bolton, he will impact contests.
I almost hope we don't debut him this year (we probably won't), then after another pre-season in the gym and on the track, he debuts in Round 1 as a fully-formed 21-year-old and sets the G alight.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Good point , cogs was like that early on too, and eventually broke through

RCD was seen as going about where you said. The thing with him was people seeing him as super high level potential, but nowhere near AFL level when drafted. SO he was in many ways seen as a development type. Talent of top 10 or better, but needing massive development to get to his potential > Therefore a risk. So he slipped a little to us. General perception, if I remember right, was he'd take 3 + years before you knew. SO he's on track very well in my opion.

Balta similar in some ways. Superb athlete but no one knew where to play him. And he was a strange cat, didn't watch AFL etc, so clubs didn't know how to value him.

Shai slipped because people saw him as flaky. That is top 10-15 talent that was immature and needed a heap of development.

In all 3 cases the draft watchers seem to have been right. We look like having done a great job developing Shai, looks A grade. Balta is coming on very nicely and maybe is going to be a great pick - let's see.
--> And RCD is similar but taking about as long as the draft gurus thought. This year accelerates his physical development but slows his football development. He needs both.

Back