Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

I swear people who say RCD can't get the ball never watch VFL games. Each week he gets the ball but is unable to break the tackle I reckon six to 15 times. That's his game, he smashes into opponents at the stoppage. He'll take the ball and seek contact, like Dusty. When he grows into his size his disposal numbers will rise. Even more so when his tank grows so he can get some outside ball as well.

In his last year as a junior he could tear through the skinny kids. Didn't get big numbers but ripped the game apart at times. Against men he can't do that, yet. Like you say, as he bulks up and learns to be smarter in how he plays he'll increase his possessions and break through tackles to make the play. His style relies on smashing through the opposition. He also entered the AFL without the elite training most draftees have, and so could not do the repeat efforts required. I expect him to be roughly about the right size and repeat effort ability next year to make a mark.

Just had quick look at the picks between #20 Riley Collier Dawkins and #43 Jack Ross
Only 1 player in the picks between these 2 players that have done anything is James Rowbottom at pick#25 who was seen as a bolter and was considered a 3rd rounder prior to the draft

I swear people who say RCD can't get the ball never watch VFL games. Each week he gets the ball but is unable to break the tackle I reckon six to 15 times. That's his game, he smashes into opponents at the stoppage. He'll take the ball and seek contact, like Dusty. When he grows into his size his disposal numbers will rise. Even more so when his tank grows so he can get some outside ball as well.
I've watched him at both TAC & VFL and it's my opinion only, I don't rate him! Top midfielders who have spent time in the 2's and come through to senior ranks have had way more possession than this guy. He just doesn't impact games.
Don't quote the VFL GF, it just about the only game where he had impact. I see others as more likely to come through.

I could name many players but lets just go with Michael Tuck and sam mitchell for now
Yes and their high possession rates and footy smarts was why they forced their way into the senior side. RCD IS NOT SHOWING THIS.

Yes and their high possession rates and footy smarts was why they forced their way into the senior side. RCD IS NOT SHOWING THIS.
He had games of 22 and 23 possessions last year in the VFL, so he can do it. A players like Davis-Uniake, no.4 draft pic spent much of last year in the VFL and he is a year older, starting to come good this year, and he was a star in underage.

I've watched him at both TAC & VFL and it's my opinion only, I don't rate him! Top midfielders who have spent time in the 2's and come through to senior ranks have had way more possession than this guy. He just doesn't impact games.
Don't quote the VFL GF, it just about the only game where he had impact. I see others as more likely to come through.
so don't quote the most important, fast, physical game hes been in for his whole career, the only one that would be anything like an AFL game, the one he was integral in, just forget that one... OOOhhhh kay then.

He had games of 22 and 23 possessions last year in the VFL, so he can do it. A players like Davis-Uniake, no.4 draft pic spent much of last year in the VFL and he is a year older, starting to come good this year, and he was a star in underage.
Have you actually watched LDU? He's an absolute plodder.

He's arguably slower than Jack Graham and kicks floaters with every disposal. Worst top 5 pick I've seen in a long time.

Have you actually watched LDU? He's an absolute plodder.

He's arguably slower than Jack Graham and kicks floaters with every disposal. Worst top 5 pick I've seen in a long time.
Haven't paid a lot of attention but he is now getting games and possessions, 17, 24, 15, 22 the last 4 weeks, hence the comparison of a player that is starting to come good. Guess there are a lot better examples. Patrick Cripps in his first year played 3 games at 9 disposals per game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not by much according to Hardwick's presser.
He also mentioned that RCD has a shoulder injury which put him out of contention. It also doesn't matter whether or not Dow has passed him because he's not competing with Dow for a spot on the list, he's just trying to become a good afl player - if dow becomes a first 22 earlier than he does that's just an added bonus for us and is completely irrelevant to the prospects of RCD. Let the kid develop jeez

He also mentioned that RCD has a shoulder injury which put him out of contention. It also doesn't matter whether or not Dow has passed him because he's not competing with Dow for a spot on the list, he's just trying to become a good afl player - if dow becomes a first 22 earlier than he does that's just an added bonus for us and is completely irrelevant to the prospects of RCD. Let the kid develop jeez
Mad tiggy has a love hate relationship with RCD, responding to that.

Mad tiggy has a love hate relationship with RCD, responding to that.
Yeah I was agreeing with you adding on the point about the shoulder - the comparison with Dow wasn't in response to your post just generally responding to some stuff I've seen on the board

Dimma had some very high praise of RCD and mentioned was smashing the door down but unfortuantely has a shoulder issue

All the following players will be so much more developed come 2021 RCD , Ross , Dow , Ralp-Smith and they will start putting pressure on the mids in the seniors which can only be a good thing.

Dimma had some very high praise of RCD and mentioned was smashing the door down but unfortuantely has a shoulder issue

All the following players will be so much more developed come 2021 RCD , Ross , Dow , Ralp-Smith and they will start putting pressure on the mids in the seniors which can only be a good thing.
I reckon we might still bring him in for game against Adelaide then

Why does he have to be a mid?
I agree. I have only seen a little bit of him playing last year but I got the impression that he is more of a straight-ahead type footballer. I would really like to see him developed as a defender. Making him feel part of a team within a team (i.e. the backs team) could be really beneficial for him - taking away the big picture and narrowing his focus for the time being.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back