Player Watch #29: Shai Bolton - What an absolute jet!

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon fj modus operandi was he had a template of the type of player req and regardless of what talent we overlooked along the way , he was stuck on that Template . Clarkey has turned that pre war type approach on its ear favouring a talent first model , it's what the dogs have done for a few years now in building a strong list
I reckon it was fear driven drafting, fear of busts with first pick, so draft solid, vanilla type HBF/mids, limited upside, limited downside.

Anyway, back to Shai, from all 5 min of video I've seen, he likes to get defensive side of a contested ball situation at wing/Halfback and if he gets it, his first instinct is to run and evade 10-20 metres (often towards the corridor not the wing) before hoofing it long and a bit loopy.

will we let him play his natural game at AFL level? At HBF/wing? IMO yes, if they want a Johanissen-style line-breaker, can Shai make it work? I guess we'll see at VFL level first... thoughts?

Our biggest draft mismanagement was letting Brodie Grundy pass. Should have snapped him up at our first pick that year.

Wasn't that a few years back?

Nah not getting jake lever was a bigger bust considering who we drafted
Another draft where we just plain ignored the talls that were available and supposedly took an inside mid wich was badly needed. Heard this somewhere before have ya. personally i wanted Durdin but would have been very happy with Lever.Wanted Connor blakely with our second pick you know that big inside mid that they talked about for so long and Oscar McDonald with our third.

Stupidity reigns at this club when it comes to the nd and list management

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back