Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

twin octuplet boys

I think Bruce Macs head would explode in the commentary box......plus just imagine....stack bumps, hand balls to stack who blind turns it and snaps to stack who marks plays on, kick it to Stack who snaps... goal to stack!!!................

Thanks for posting this juss I didn't realise that Stacky had produced that many highlights......DELICIOUS !!!
Would love to see a Walsh highlight reel for comparison can guarantee it's chock full of workmanlike clearance work and banal disposals. Stack is pretty amazing when you watch that. His courage and contested marking is incredible.

Agree Walsh is a fine player, but he is exactly what you see is what you get. He's an accumulator, he will run hard, he will get a lot of ball and he will use it well. Carlton have nailed it because they will get 200+ games and 10+ years of consistent, quality football. But Walsh has a ceiling, he doesn't light up the game like the very, very best do, and he doesn't have that intangible talent to go beyond and do things that others can't.

Stack is doing things only a few players can do, he is easily the biggest potential of any first year player at the club since young Dusty.

Watch the below highlight reel and you can see his insane ability. It's ridiculous for a first year player.

OMG he made a meal of Brent Daniels hey?

I am gobsmacked about his ability to play forward or back in his 1st season.

Let me reiterate that.......HIS FIRST SEASON

I think Bruce Macs head would explode in the commentary box......plus just imagine....stack bumps, hand balls to stack who blind turns it and snaps to stack who marks plays on, kick it to Stack who snaps... goal to stack!!!................
:)that reminds me of me in the backyard as a 8 year old..... Stack is 2nd in line behind Rance to come back into the team. Plays at both ends of the ground which is crucial in matches. Baker has developed his game this year. So he can play fwd and back. As did Sheds this year. Caddy can now play multiple positions. I'd like to see Short playing the wing on occasions. He has the attributes. George stepped up to be our best small fwd.

Would love to see a Walsh highlight reel for comparison can guarantee it's chock full of workmanlike clearance work and banal disposals. Stack is pretty amazing when you watch that. His courage and contested marking is incredible.
In Ice Cream Terms it's...Vanilla Versus Rocky Road...no contest!!!

After watching crap Richmond for 37 years I have pity on good players in struggling teams. Now what observe with our list is 1, we are attractive to the Tom Lynches. 2 we can risk drafting players like Sydney and Marlon. I hope we can keep the list competitive for another 3 years. Do a Geelong and never be out of the 8

Stack's first year was quite ridiculous. I think his ceiling depends on whether he has the ability to put a bit of size on. Doesn't have to be a heavyweight but with added size and strength to go with his skillset he'd be unstoppable. Worst case scenario he's a very handy footballer.
Worst case scenario for Stack is that he will be a star.

Worst case scenario for Stack is that he will be a star.
I mean, it's not but I like the enthusiasm :thumbsu:
Worst case scenario is he rests on his laurels and becomes another Daniel Rioli. A very handy player but with the potential to be so much more.

I mean, it's not but I like the enthusiasm :thumbsu:
Worst case scenario is he rests on his laurels and becomes another Daniel Rioli. A very handy player but with the potential to be so much more.
Reckon there is a fair gap in talent between Stack and Rioli, but I get what you are saying. Rioli was disappointing this year, so did he just have an off year or has he reached his peak. I doubt he rested on his laurel, who knows. Stack's first 6 weeks was better than any player I can remember, so even if he doesn't keep going at the projected rate, he will still be very good.... tempering my enthusiasm.

Daniel Rioli is what we tried to turn Steve Morris into all those years ago, a pure defensive small forward who’s job it is to harass and stalk the opposition back men into making mistakes and tbf he’s probably one of the best in the league at it, which is super important to the way we like to play.

But since this is the Sydney Stack thread and not the Daniel Rioli thread, I’m really looking forward to seeing what Stacky can do with a full preseason under his belt. He’s got so much potential and I’m really hoping we get to see it all unfold in 2020. He’s such an exciting player for us!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough Rioli love going on here , Love the bloke and what he brings to the team

Whilst we all want to see his offensive attributes more his job is to do the defensive things and to keep the ball in our foward line , Just have to ask the players he plays on about how hard it is for them to do what they are meant to do with Rioli breathing down their necks.

Not enough Rioli love going on here , Love the bloke and what he brings to the team

Whilst we all want to see his offensive attributes more his job is to do the defensive things and to keep the ball in our foward line , Just have to ask the players he plays on about how hard it is for them to do what they are meant to do with Rioli breathing down their necks.
Ditto. His defensive acts alone will keep him in the team.

I reckon you'll find no lack of love for Dan - just a desire to see him set free of that purely defensive role. We're using a Lamborghini for the weekly shopping trip at the moment. Want to see him take that next step and start impacting in the middle ala Edwards.

His uncle's defensive attributes were through the roof as well, but he was just as effective offensively. Daniel hasn't got that balance yet, and he may never reach Cycil's heights, but he has the ability to hurt more often offensively. Thought it was going to click last year, maybe this instead.

His uncle's defensive attributes were through the roof as well, but he was just as effective offensively. Daniel hasn't got that balance yet, and he may never reach Cycil's heights, but he has the ability to hurt more often offensively. Thought it was going to click last year, maybe this instead.

people under estimate how badly he broke his foot. He took 6-8 months to be back playing footy. That’s a long time.

Also people need to read Konrads book. Dimma says Dan is being played on the far side from the ball to limit teams ability to exit our 50 and does an incredible amount of unrewarded running. What he does is for the team but doesn’t always show up on the stat sheet.

would also add that stack has always played inside mid, Dan never has and really only started taking footy seriously as a 16yr old.

I’m just stoked we’ve got them both.

I'm not completely sold with Caddy on the wing...but the side is currently so good that he has strangely become a weapon out there...wtf?!?
Right now I reckon he plays that role better than the rivals for that spot , if they keep on improving he will need to be playing well to keep them out

I reckon you'll find no lack of love for Dan - just a desire to see him set free of that purely defensive role. We're using a Lamborghini for the weekly shopping trip at the moment. Want to see him take that next step and start impacting in the middle ala Edwards.
Dan is 22 years old with another 10/11 years ahead of him and is surprisingly still very young, Edwards was an enigmatic player until 2016 until he was 28
Im sure once we have a player capable of doing what Dan does to the level he does it we will see Daniel in a more offensive role. Cumberland is spoken of with the same traits as well as Dow so maybe Daniel will get that elevation sooner than we think.

Seeing Daniel playing wing/hf with a licence to trill would certainly be a thing of beauty to watch

people under estimate how badly he broke his foot. He took 6-8 months to be back playing footy. That’s a long time.

Also people need to read Konrads book. Dimma says Dan is being played on the far side from the ball to limit teams ability to exit our 50 and does an incredible amount of unrewarded running. What he does is for the team but doesn’t always show up on the stat sheet.

would also add that stack has always played inside mid, Dan never has and really only started taking footy seriously as a 16yr old.

I’m just stoked we’ve got them both.
Yeah stack to me shows he is a mid and he plays like that where he is on the field. Its just the balance he shows that makes him a player.

Daniel Rioli is what we tried to turn Steve Morris into all those years ago, a pure defensive small forward who’s job it is to harass and stalk the opposition back men into making mistakes and tbf he’s probably one of the best in the league at it, which is super important to the way we like to play.

But since this is the Sydney Stack thread and not the Daniel Rioli thread, I’m really looking forward to seeing what Stacky can do with a full preseason under his belt. He’s got so much potential and I’m really hoping we get to see it all unfold in 2020. He’s such an exciting player for us!

and before that was Jake King ...who mastered the art of forward pressure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back