Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll take Stack over Baker any day of the week - twice on Saturdays and Sundays - an I actually like Baker.
But a very good performance in a glorified practice match won't change my opinion that Stack is better value.
And not that it is necessarily a choice between the two. We could find room for both and likely will with a few injuries and form losses.
Stacky has to recapture his best form , until he does and he has to find it returning from serious injury , he’s behind Baker , let’s not kid ourselves

Rioli has really been well looked after since the 17 gf. We need a big lift out of him

Bit of something about Daniel this year. I think we'll see something extra from him this season...Just got a "vibe".....

What is it with people saying they don’t like things? Surely that is what the thumbs down button is for. Something about uninteresting contributions and sparing us the “I don’t like this” crap. And irony or something. 😂

I hold Pauline Hanson somewhat responsible....🤪

no.1 meters gained in the world '18

'way overrated' a bit harsh
No it isn't. Meters gained is a nothing stat in isolation. Just like hitouts. It doesn't take into account efficiency. Combine meters gained with kicking efficiency and you have good stats.

A long kick to a contest is counted as an effective kick btw.

No it isn't. Meters gained is a nothing stat in isolation. Just like hitouts. It doesn't take into account efficiency. Combine meters gained with kicking efficiency and you have good stats.

A long kick to a contest is counted as an effective kick btw.

Shorts disposal efficiency was top5 at richmond in the minor premiership year @ 78.35 % - in conjunction with being #1 for meters gained in the league...

i wouldnt have him in my best side but his kicking is pretty handy.

On the other hand I thought he was probable bottom 6 in the disappointing collingwood prelim

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the discussion is about which spot Stack is going to take and Short seems the most likely option
As I said when I started off all this discussion unless Stack can start showing he can be an attacking weapon coming out of HB I don't see him being in contention for a spot in our back half, given the way it appears that we want to play.

As I said when I started off all this discussion unless Stack can start showing he can be an attacking weapon coming out of HB I don't see him being in contention for a spot in our back half, given the way it appears that we want to play.
You don't think Stack is attacking! His ball use is brilliant.

i wonder if jack viney thinks stack or short is the greater attacking weapon

You don't think Stack is attacking! His ball use is brilliant.
Not in the manner that we seem to want to rebound from D50. Stack will more often than not hit up the short safe option rather than look at running at the opposition and looking at breaking through zones. I think we have better options to perform that role in Grimes Vlastuin & Broad as they have better defensive capabilities.
i wonder if jack viney thinks stack or short is the greater attacking weapon
Laying a bump is a bit different to having the ability to rebound the ball quickly out of our D50 and into our F50. For mine Houli Baker & Short are the more attacking options coming off of HB. If Stack can add that run and carry to his game he overtakes the 3 of them very quickly.

Not in the manner that we seem to want to rebound from D50. Stack will more often than not hit up the short safe option rather than look at running at the opposition and looking at breaking through zones. I think we have better options to perform that role in Grimes Vlastuin & Broad as they have better defensive capabilities.

Laying a bump is a bit different to having the ability to rebound the ball quickly out of our D50 and into our F50. For mine Houli Baker & Short are the more attacking options coming off of HB. If Stack can add that run and carry to his game he overtakes the 3 of them very quickly.
I see Stack as the complete opposite and one of the best kicks in the side. We only got glimpses last year but I don't recall him not hitting up the man he was kicking to. Vlaustin and Stack are great attacking distributors. You forget he's played only a handful of games.

stacks rebound / run / kicking is not too bad

he played forward a lot so his meters gained type stats are going to be hampered

short greatest deficiency is he isnt a great or natural defender and has be exploited 1v1 - Stack looks ahead in this area i think

Bit of competition for that half back role. Houli is automatic selection for one of the flanks, however Short, Baker and Stack have all had their moments over the last two weeks. Will be interesting to see who the committee go to.

stacks rebound / run / kicking is not too bad

he played forward a lot so his meters gained type stats are going to be hampered

short greatest deficiency is he isnt a great or natural defender and has be exploited 1v1 - Stack looks ahead in this area i think
Stack gained more metres in games played as a forward than he did as a defender. Today he gained 205m coming off HB, Short gained 545m & Baker gained 346m off the wing. As I said earlier Stack needs to become more of an attacking weapon from HB to play the role that we want our rebounding defenders to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back