Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Just been thinking about who would be the best comparison of the player that Stack would be most likely become all things going well

Kerr was my thoughts and i know after the hit on viney we all talked about a pickett resemblance but i think he is a bit more classy than what pickett was

So who is the best comparison

Very hard to say, has unique attributes.

Toughness of a B. Picket
Composure, skill and running ability of a McLeod
Aerial ability of J.Farmer

Sam Walsh or Sydney Stack? Why the Rising Star race is closer than you might think

Sam Walsh is footy perfection: the No. 1 draft pick from a perfect family and a perfect AFL pathway destined to play 200 great AFL games.
Sydney Stack has much more rough-and-tumble about him. He could so easily have fallen through the cracks after a difficult family upbringing, a torturous path to the big time and a draft where every single club ignored him.

Walsh effortly cranks out 16km games while Stack couldn’t stop throwing up all summer on the training track.

Together these polar opposites should be dead even for the Rising Star betting. Stack’s stunning foray forward saw him dragged in to $4 from $8 last week, then hours later Walsh peeled off another 30-possession, eight-tackle game.

It was the perfect ammunition for the Carlton army who went nuts on Twitter about suggestions Stack might the man to win the increasingly prestigious award.
But in truth nothing Stack does denigrates Walsh’s performance in any way. It just means it sets up a knock-em-down, drag-em-out contest to the line with eight rounds remaining.

You could use the stats or Champion Data relative ratings to measure them against each other, but they play such different roles you can just use your eye. Walsh is a phenom, a gifted ball winner who always takes the right option as a surging runner who has barely played a bad game in his 14 matches so far. He is an elite contested and pressure player with barely a flaw in his game.

But what makes this race so interesting is that Stack’s brilliance combines with a stunning level of consistency for someone so young. Consider his last four games — 107 ranking points against Geelong (24 possessions at 81 per cent efficiency), 70 ranking points against Geelong, 103 ranking points against Adelaide (22 possessions), then four goals 98 ranking points and eight score involvements against St Kilda.

He was quiet second-up against Port Adelaide — 11 possessions, 40 ranking points, still went at 83 per cent efficiency — yet in every other game he has found a way to shine.

He is hard as a cats head, he barely wastes a possession, he is incredibly versatile, he is a flawless kick, he chooses tough options and he is now a goalkicker.

And if the Rising Star judges have an ounce of theatre about them they could be swayed by his incredible story.

Either would be a worthy winner.

Last year Jayden Stephenson was awarded the most votes ever polled — 52 — in a runaway victory, so regardless of your choice this year’s presentation should be mouth-watering.

For me Stack’s story echoes everything good about this game — a recruiter who refused to quit on him, a coach who took him into his home, a player prepared to do the hard work, a precocious talent unfolding in front of our eyes.

That alone isn’t enough to win the Rising Star, but his week-in and week-out performances are, which is why he is my Rising Star after 15 rounds.

Guys let’s not get carried away. He hasn’t done a pre-season yet, so we have no idea what his true ability is.

Oh man I can’t wait to see what this boy can do with a full tank!
That is a good point , did 1/2 a pre season. I think midfield / HB will be his true position with his laser like precision disposal going i50 , what a luxury to be able to play him forward when there’s an obvious mismatch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a good point , did 1/2 a pre season. I think midfield / HB will be his true position with his laser like precision disposal going i50 , what a luxury to be able to play him forward when there’s an obvious mismatch

From reports he did a full pre season, just in about half the time most players take to do it.

It is funny about Stack, I still feel he is way underrated by most, probably even our supporters. I think it is because when you see something you have never seen before you just don't know what you are looking at. Also I think it is because of his back story, people are tempted to view him as some sort of novelty or sympathy-inducing underdog type come good. He is a completely unique and precious footballing talent. He is like the Peter the Great(after whom his project city St Petersburg is named) of footballers...royalty who presented himself to the world as an artisan builder.

Is Sydney Stack real? Are we living in a dream?

He is amazing to watch live.. watching replay of saints game is one of the first times I’ve watched him on TV really - and he is still amazing on the Tele.

Pure footballer - you can’t teach that s**t... haven’t seen a Tiger like that since Martin. He is a serious game changer. Thank god we have a good culture and leaders like Rioli around the club that allows this sort of thing to happen.

Walsh Miers and Stack all had blinders on the weekend and this years Rising Star winner is going to be closer than we think. Lingy was pushing Miers with Bruce last week and I still think he’ll get it bc Geelong are winning.
Stack has walked in from the Rookie list and carved it up all over the park and deserves to win it, but will be ignored the most imo. I’m hoping that the great sportsmanship gesture with Eddy helps him to get more votes bc like the Brownlow it’s a best and fairest player based award.

Walsh Miers and Stack all had blinders on the weekend and this years Rising Star winner is going to be closer than we think. Lingy was pushing Miers with Bruce last week and I still think he’ll get it bc Geelong are winning.
Stack has walked in from the Rookie list and carved it up all over the park and deserves to win it, but will be ignored the most imo. I’m hoping that the great sportsmanship gesture with Eddy helps him to get more votes bc like the Brownlow it’s a best and fairest player based award.

Surely there is no real reason to think Sydney won't be fairly considered. Are number 1 draft picks over represented in Rising Star award winners? Are top teams over represented? Are Richmond players or rookie drafted players under represented?

I doubt Miers will beat Walsh in the voting. I fancy Stack will give it a massive shake.

Surely there is no real reason to think Sydney won't be fairly considered. Are number 1 draft picks over represented in Rising Star award winners? Are top teams over represented? Are Richmond players or rookie drafted players under represented?
Q
I doubt Miers will beat Walsh in the voting. I fancy Stack will give it a massive shake.
Yes to all your questions.

From reports he did a full pre season, just in about half the time most players take to do it.

It is funny about Stack, I still feel he is way underrated by most, probably even our supporters. I think it is because when you see something you have never seen before you just don't know what you are looking at. Also I think it is because of his back story, people are tempted to view him as some sort of novelty or sympathy-inducing underdog type come good. He is a completely unique and precious footballing talent. He is like the Peter the Great(after whom his project city St Petersburg is named) of footballers...royalty who presented himself to the world as an artisan builder.
Such a wonderful player to watch , his ability to dart through traffic then dispose of the pill with surgical like precision is like few others. Have I mentioned his elite marking skill too . Keep it up Sydney stack , lovin it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back