Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Walsh Miers and Stack all had blinders on the weekend and this years Rising Star winner is going to be closer than we think. Lingy was pushing Miers with Bruce last week and I still think he’ll get it bc Geelong are winning.
Stack has walked in from the Rookie list and carved it up all over the park and deserves to win it, but will be ignored the most imo. I’m hoping that the great sportsmanship gesture with Eddy helps him to get more votes bc like the Brownlow it’s a best and fairest player based award.

not sure why people keep saying Walsh played a good game on the weekend. Yeah he had 30 disposals but he was going at 33% and had 11 turnovers.

I'm a bit stumped as to why this keeps getting celebrate by various footy fans.

not sure why people keep saying Walsh played a good game on the weekend. Yeah he had 30 disposals but he was going at 33% and had 11 turnovers.

Exactly, 15 of Stacks disposals are a shitload more valuable than 26 or 27 of Walsh’s.

I didn’t watch the game and only went on the hype. Silly me not to have done my homework and trusted in the media.

he was solid without being amazing, his kicking was absolute trash but his workrate and tackling were fantastic

Check out this: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-03/running-amok-your-clubs-speed-machines-and-endurance-beasts

It reveals a key reason why Walsh gets so much of the pill. He is Carlton's best endurance athlete, clocking an average of 15.5 ks per match. Very impressive as it puts him in the same ball park as our two superstar runners, Brando (15.45 ks) and Garthwaite (15.6).o_O

Seriously though, it's unprecedented for a first year player to have that level of fitness and is a tribute to the way he prepared himself for AFL footy, cocooned as he was in a solid middle class, private school environment. Coach surfing and eating KFC after an 8 hour shift concreting can't compete with that - hence poor old Sydney spewing up during his limited pre season. The obvious point though is: what is easier to acquire, fitness or footy skills? Get a preseason into Stack and build up his tank and see what he can do.

Check out this: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-03/running-amok-your-clubs-speed-machines-and-endurance-beasts

It reveals a key reason why Walsh gets so much of the pill. He is Carlton's best endurance athlete, clocking an average of 15.5 ks per match. Very impressive as it puts him in the same ball park as our two superstar runners, Brando (15.45 ks) and Garthwaite (15.6).o_O

Seriously though, it's unprecedented for a first year player to have that level of fitness and is a tribute to the way he prepared himself for AFL footy, cocooned as he was in a solid middle class, private school environment. Coach surfing and eating KFC after an 8 hour shift concreting can't compete with that - hence poor old Sydney spewing up during his limited pre season. The obvious point though is: what is easier to acquire, fitness or footy skills? Get a preseason into Stack and build up his tank and see what he can do.

Markov fastest speed recorded in the league at over 37km/h :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Ripper conversation about the Stack man in the below podcast - an essential 'rookie spine' is discussed in this episode with comparison between Syd / Walsh / Rozee etc in each of their positions.
The chat goes further into - who would you want for the rest of their career, strong stack favoritism ;) have a listen and enjoy legends:

(rookie/stack chat starts around 25mins)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back