Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

they wont approve imo
So despite being eligible under the new rule , you still don’t think they’ll approve,,,,why not ?

To be eligible for the new rookie-list places, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club.

I wonder what the deal is here while the kid is over here training.
I assume he won't have an income (being a kid I doubt he has had a job that allows him that much annual leave)
So are the club allowed to finance a player thats not on the list yet?
If they are not on the list, it surely can't count until the player is on our list.

2 good things not to officially sign him up until march, 1 is to make him work as hard as possible and earn his spot, second could be to help set him up initially with accommodation and small finance that wouldn't come under the salary cap. And by accommodation I don't mean Troy Taylor expectation of housing, but to get him living with the Hardwicks or another Richmond family to look after him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume he won't have an income (being a kid I doubt he has had a job that allows him that much annual leave)
If they are not on the list, it surely can't count until the player is on our list.

2 good things not to officially sign him up until march, 1 is to make him work as hard as possible and earn his spot, second could be to help set him up initially with accommodation and small finance that wouldn't come under the salary cap. And by accommodation I don't mean Troy Taylor expectation of housing, but to get him living with the Hardwicks or another Richmond family to look after him.
it has been reported in a western Australian paper that he will live with the Hardwicks.

Well that is an interesting point and how i would handle this if i was the club

Subsidise all his training expenses including travel to melbourne and back as well as board and meals which im sure is allowed in the rules and not part of any cap.

The club can get a sponsor for the kid to give him a 2 hour a day job on $500 a week to cover his pocket money ;)

Well that is an interesting point and how i would handle this if i was the club

Subsidise all his training expenses including travel to melbourne and back as well as board and meals which im sure is allowed in the rules and not part of any cap.

The club can get a sponsor for the kid to give him a 2 hour a day job on $500 a week to cover his pocket money ;)
Yeh, I agree, if the club put him through all the support networks he needs to create the right attitude to make it, whilsty showing him what 'could be' if he makes it, and it all works out, then perfect. Tough love but a look at the rewards at the same time. Would only cost the sponsor $5k too, not too much

Has to be some sort of allowance under the rules for this type of thing given he qualifies. If not maybe that’s what the club has applied to the AFL for. I can see some sort of arrangement whereby he’s paid a living wage as long as he’s training at the club and if he’s given a rookie spot then those payments are included in the cap. If he’s not given a spot then the payments aren’t included in the cap. Hope it all works out for him and the club. Would be an unbelievable story if it did.

So despite being eligible under the new rule , you still don’t think they’ll approve,,,,why not ?

To be eligible for the new rookie-list places, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club.
Because we are not Sydney and don't have the media fawning about it (Oh see what great innovators Sydney are)!

Has to be some sort of allowance under the rules for this type of thing given he qualifies. If not maybe that’s what the club has applied to the AFL for. I can see some sort of arrangement whereby he’s paid a living wage as long as he’s training at the club and if he’s given a rookie spot then those payments are included in the cap. If he’s not given a spot then the payments aren’t included in the cap. Hope it all works out for him and the club. Would be an unbelievable story if it did.
I believe the allowance you are referring to is called COLHA.

Cost Of Living at Hardwick's Allowance.

1,000 a week and it counts on the salary cap .

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

They said on the radio yesterday that for these guys training with clubs but yet to be given contracts are paid an $1000 per week allowance that has to fit into the TPP cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Back