Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a feeling we will see him in our side not to long to much class for vfl.Gez imagine if Bolton can turn it on to these two in our side with Rioli.

The Messy Egg was written off by some after struggling in the VFL finals after a badly injury interrupted season last year. It is great to hear reports of him doing better off a good pre season and I look forward to seeing a bit of him this season in the VFL and maybe the egg can even crack it for an AFL debut.

Whatever is the case with Sydney and Derek, both should really benefit from a season at VFL level if they can get a good run injury wise.

Last edited:
Turner looks like a quality wingman to me , Very much a Andrew Gaff style player

Would love for him to develop an inside game to be able to give us the option of playing him through the midfield in the rotations
Turner looks the best of all the recruits.

Turner looks like a quality wingman to me , Very much a Andrew Gaff style player

Would love for him to develop an inside game to be able to give us the option of playing him through the midfield in the rotations
Played off HB yesterday in the practice match and didn't have that much of an impact, but didn't really do much wrong either. Stack and English really stood out though with their clean ball handling and skills. If we can get Stack comfortable in Melbourne he could well be the biggest steal in draft history. With English he just knows where to go to become involved in the play. Best 32 we've had at the club since Tivendale ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The positive impact Sydney Stack has made on Richmond coach Damien Hardwick

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has sung the praises of Sydney Stack, declaring himself “fortunate” to have lived with the gun WA junior. Stack stayed with Hardwick and his family over summer, while auditioning for a place on Richmond’s rookie list. The 19-year-old officially joined the Tigers last month, having allayed fears over his professionalism during a three-month period at Punt Road.

And a stint living with the 2017 premiership mastermind appears to have helped his cause. “Sydney is incredible,” Hardwick told Fox Footy. “I hadn’t met him before. I didn’t even interview him at draft camp - I saw an interview - and then when he came into our house he fitted in really well.”

Stack follows in the footsteps of new teammate Daniel Rioli, who recently moved out of Hardwick’s house to buy his own property. The pair share a few traits on-field; both are clean below their knees, explosive in short bursts and have a knack for pulling off the mercurial. Away from the game, it’s a different story.

1552249526535.png

“It’s amazing how different those two boys were. Daniel is very shy and unassuming and Sydney was completely the opposite. “Both of those lads have had a great impact on our family.”

Stack’s dedication to training has also impressed Hardwick. Queried over his endurance, the Perth product has pushed himself to the brink of exhaustion during several fitness sessions. And his efforts might soon yield dividends.

Asked if Stack was ready-made for senior action, Hardwick responded: “Yeah he is, he’s been really good.” “I must admit, our coaches were saying ‘why haven’t we signed this kid?’ but obviously he had a few things (to work through).” Stack didn’t feature during Richmond’s 12-point JLT Community Series win over Melbourne last week.

Could Sydney be a rnd 1 smokey perhaps, did very well in both vfl games and looks ready for AFL.
Still like the idea of RC-D maybe being a smokie as well. Just love his size and the way he plays

Could Sydney be a rnd 1 smokey perhaps, did very well in both vfl games and looks ready for AFL.
Still like the idea of RC-D maybe being a smokie as well. Just love his size and the way he plays

i think they should both play off the bench. we have a really experienced core, time to inject some youth that has real class and they will blossom with the wise heads we have around them in the seniors

i'd be playing balta, rcd, bolton and stack as much as possible this year and using blokes like grigg, short, mcintosh, ellis, castagna, butler, weller etc as the depth back in the vfl

i think they should both play off the bench. we have a really experienced core, time to inject some youth that has real class and they will blossom with the wise heads we have around them in the seniors

i'd be playing balta, rcd, bolton and stack as much as possible this year and using blokes like grigg, short, mcintosh, ellis, castagna, butler, weller etc as the depth back in the vfl

Couldn't agree more. You get the two benefits of resting older players who will then be fresher later in the season when it matters, and also getting crucial games into potential AFL stalwarts. It may come at the cost of a few matches but if it was the difference between 15 wins and 17 wins so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back