Player Watch #44 Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

His knock on to create the goal for Baker was sensational, only players who truly run and accelerate in straight lines to the ball can do that sort of thing.
That was awesome, very Richmond-like passage of play and the thing I loved was that he knocked it forward and then put on the SHEPHERD so baker could kick the goal, I reckon these days 90% of players would run forward of the ball and ask for the handball back but he made it a certain goal when he put the block on. I think that shepherding is something that’s dying out of the game but it’s such a useful skill and I’d love to see us doing more of it
What exactly were his off-field issues that stopped him from getting drafted? Hard to believe nobody took a late 4th round punt on him with all this talent.

That was awesome, very Richmond-like passage of play and the thing I loved was that he knocked it forward and then put on the SHEPHERD so baker could kick the goal, I reckon these days 90% of players would run forward of the ball and ask for the handball back but he made it a certain goal when he put the block on. I think that shepherding is something that’s dying out of the game but it’s such a useful skill and I’d love to see us doing more of it
What exactly were his off-field issues that stopped him from getting drafted? Hard to believe nobody took a late 4th round punt on him with all this talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 year contract right now pls

Is Sydney Stack our best defender???

Grimes had a great game but boy the defenders must love that Sydney is down there assisting.

What about that Grimes mark and Sydney is right behind him mid leap ready to take it himself?

For a little guy, love the aggression, toughness and he has some bloody smarts to!!! His aerial smarts are magnificent!!!

He is probably the most exciting thing to hit the backlines since Wanganeen!!

Still needs to keep it going but boy, what a start, so classy and complete for a smaller type!!!!

No fear getting in front of the ball, love it!!!

Last edited:
I'm absolutely in love with this bloke!

The pessimist in me is saying "This is too good to be true" (maybe due to ghosts of recruitments past), but I'm trying to block that out and appreciate just how exciting Sydney is.

I have many favourite moments from him already, but the one that is still sticking out is what happened after his fluffed kick out of bounds in the final term. Did it lead to a crucial Port goal? Yes. Did the Port scum then come after him to rub it in? Yes. But he didn't take a backwards step, and even more than that, he didn't then retaliate in an over-aggressive way to then give away a follow-up free kick.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I think this showed a cool, calm and collected lad who, even under the physical and verbal ribbing he got in that moment from the opposition and crowd, was able to stand up for himself without being a detriment to the team.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I loved SS second game. In the 3rd when he spoiled the ball as port were coming out of defence, as soon as he realised Baker had it covered Syd ran off and provided the sheperd ( resulted in a goal). Not necessarily a stat but in my mind shows a very important team first trait....Another big tick for the Stackman...👏

One of the best things about this future star is the fact that Silvagni the vulture tried to swoop on him after we trained him up for months but he stayed true to us. Blues will remain shite while SOS remains head of list management. Clueless, and will be confirmed if they win another spoon and the Crows get pick one😂😂
Long may the reign of SOS and Bolton continue.

Is Sydney Stack our best defender???

Grimes had a great game but boy the defenders must love that Sydney is down there assisting.

What about that Grimes mark and Sydney is right behind him mid leap ready to take it himself?

For a little guy, love the aggression, toughness and he has some bloody smarts to!!! His aerial smarts are magnificent!!!

He is probably the most exciting thing to hit the backlines since Wanganeen!!

Still needs to keep it going but boy, what a start, so classy and complete for a smaller type!!!!

No fear getting in front of the ball, love it!!!
Kid is a smiling assassin with...give nuffin away eyes...no bull sheet attitude...if SS decides to do somethin'...he does it, he'll get you!...straight line player...
Super straight line player...
This kid will, given time/development, put a few oppo players to sleep...
Kid has harnessed ferocity at the ball and ball carrier, big time...love him!

Kid is a smiling assassin with...give nuffin away eyes...no bull sheet attitude...if SS decides to do somethin'...he does it, he'll get you!...straight line player...
Super straight line player...
This kid will, given time/development, put a few oppo players to sleep...
Kid has harnessed ferocity at the ball and ball carrier, big time...love him!

Without pumping his wheels up too much he is a bit like a classier Byron Pickett who is better in the air.

What SS needs to do is just keep it going exactly as he is, don't start playing the man or anything stupid just focus on the ball treating play on its merits because his approach across the white line is perfect at the moment!!

This bloke is a sure-fire 250 gamer injuries permitting. Players like Stack are incredibly hard to find. He plays on the edge but remains so composed with ball in hand. He isn't just brave when the ball is on the ground either, already comfortable to sit under the high ball and has the confidence to fly for his marks even when surrounded by very experienced backs. It's like he has played with them for 3 years already. On top of that, he has speed and skill to rebound and create scoring chains. He seems to have the package, doesn't he? Generally you get one or the other when it comes to small backs, they're either tough and accountable but offer little by means of skill (Steve Morris type) or alternatively have the speed and skill but not the defensive qualities you need (Jayden Short). We've found one here, well done to the recruitment team. Hope he has a long career!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back