Player Watch #27 Thomson Dow - signed to 2024

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "Dow is an athletically gifted midfielder with great inside-ball winning abilities and can hit the scoreboard."

ONE of Bendigo’s top midfielders, Dow is a player who is hard to place on the draft boards, one of a number of players in that late first round onwards log-jam. Most of the players there have plenty of upside and a number of attractive strengths to AFL clubs, while still having a number of areas to build upon going forward. For Dow, his clearance work and ability to move well on the inside is a key feature of his game, not too dissimilar to his brother Paddy. Athletically he is among the top midfielders going around, and he is terrific at the stoppages. Once he builds his consistency and endurance, Dow has the scope to become even more damaging through the middle.

STRENGTHS:
Clearance work
Scoreboard impact
Contested marking
Vertical leap
Agility

IMPROVEMENTS:
Four quarter consistency
Strength

Standing at 183cm but just 76kg, it is clear that Dow will need to add size to his frame upon entering the AFL system. He has the athleticism to challenge senior players at the next level, recording a 77cm running vertical jump at the National Draft Combine testing and blitzing the agility test in a time of 8.06 seconds, slightly behind his time of 8.02 in the pre-season testing. His 20m sprint of 3.06 seconds is about average. He spent time inside 50 resting as a lead-out forward with strong hands and showing off his capability in that role. His contested marking was impressive, averaging more than one per game from his 4.4 marks. Dow averaged a goal a game in the forward role, and when he was not kicking goals, he was setting up his teammates, playing his best game of the season in this role in the Wildcard Round against Northern with seven inside 50s. His best game in entirety was the Round 2 win over Murray Bushrangers where he amassed 24 disposals – at 82 per cent kicking efficiency and more than 50 per cent contested – four marks, seven clearances, two inside 50s, four tackles and a goal.

While Dow has the athleticism and talent to be a really damaging prospect he does have to iron out some consistency issues. His best is as good as a lot of prospects in the 2019 draft crop, but he can tend to fade in and out of games at times, such as during the Under-18 Championships. In the last two games for the Pioneers, Dow averaged 23.5 disposals and was able to have more of an impact over four quarters. Earlier in the year he was impacting games for a couple of quarters and then fading out in the other couple. Much like the consistency within games, Dow’s kicking consistency itself is an area of improvement. He wins a lot of contested ball which is why kicking efficiency statistics – Dow finished the year with 52 per cent efficiency – can be misleading. However, he could show more composure at times because he often has more time than he thinks and can gain separation from his opponents using his agility and speed. Another area of improvement that will come is his strength, which at 76kg can continue to build having added a few kilograms to his pre-season size. Overall, Dow has serious upside and talent, with a good development program likely to see him reach his potential.

1574980067796.png

1574993227575.png

Like the Champion Data plays like comparisons for Dow.

Note - they aren't saying they'll be the same quality, just the type of player they are similar to in style

Last edited:
He’s have to at least a partial Carlton supporter you’d think. Unless he hates his brother but that seems unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister barracks for the Saints and she gives me the shits

Highly feasible he hates his bro for being carlscum

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
dusty was a sainter
riewoldt a swan
lunch was a pie

apart from richo it doesn't really matter

It would matter to the individuals and I still feel sorry for them. Glad someone like Dow seems happy enough to be coming to Richmond, but I still think it's a shame that kids that apparently support the club big time miss out and get sent to dumps like Gold Coast, GWS and Carlton. More so when they are so highly rated, even if nothing can be done about it.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
It would matter to the individuals and I still feel sorry for them. Glad someone like Dow seems happy enough to be coming to Richmond, but I still think it's a shame that kids that apparently support the club big time miss out and get sent to dumps like Gold Coast, GWS and Carlton. More so when they are so highly rated, even if nothing can be done about it.
Ain't footy great when you can refer to a club like Carlton as a dump. Once a powerhouse, now a dump, love it. The same thing was said about us just a few years ago, and now we are a destination club. All that merde I went through in my prime. Carlton will rise again and a good thing to.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah the elation in the Dow household when Thomson's name was called out was sensational. Almost like please let me be selected by a serious Club rather than that place my brother inhabits and then it's jackpot time at the most professional Club in the competition. Hang in there Paddy. We may yet have a place for you along side your brother.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah the elation in the Dow household when Thomson's name was called out was sensational. Almost like please let me be selected by a serious Club rather than that place my brother inhabits and then it's jackpot time at the most professional Club in the competition. Hang in there Paddy. We may yet have a place for you along side your brother.
Loved him mums'
reaction.

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

A Banderas

All Australian
Nov 2, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
paddy would be cursing

Richmond draft pick Thomson Dow on potentially meeting brother Paddy Dow

New Richmond recruit Thomson Dow swore he had no idea who his new AFL club’s Round 1 opponent next year was.
When told it was Carlton, which is home to his older brother Paddy, Row replied with a grin:

“If that pans out for me to get a game, gee that would be interesting.”

Richmond figures have already put it on the No.21 draft pick to aim to make his debut in the Round 1 blockbuster against the Blues.

Coach Damien Hardwick has shown he is not afraid to make selection bombshells, which was evident when he selected Marlion Pickett to make his debut in this year’s Grand Final.

While a draftee immediately breaking into the reigning premier’s side appears unlikely, the 182cm midfielder said he was just looking forward to rubbing shoulders with some of the game’s biggest names.

“That’s the best part about it I reckon, there are some superstars at the club,” Dow said.

“To be able to train and potentially play with them is unreal in itself, so that would definitely make me a better player and improve my footy.

“It’s a pretty surreal feeling.

“I was just sitting at home last night not really expecting anything and when my name was called out to be a Tiger, it’s an honour really considering the amount of success they’ve had.

“I’m honoured to join Tigerland.”

Dow, who hails from Swan Hill and boarded at Geelong Grammar, said having his older brother Paddy as a sounding board would help his transition to the life of an AFL footballer.

“I think the way we play is similar, but there are a lot of differences as well,” Dow said.

“He’s a very solid, contested player and he’s probably got me in that area, but I feel like I could be more damaging on the outside as well as having that balance.”

Dow, 18, said he could not wait to meet his new teammates at Punt Rd.

“I spoke to Dimma this morning on the car ride over here,” he said.

“He sent his congratulations and he was good, and I spoke to a few of the boys as well.

“Some of them messaged me, which was reassuring.”

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
This is what I like to hear coming from our young draftees... :heart:
Not only will they be honed in skill by an excellent group of Coaches...they will also...

...“That’s the best part about it I reckon, there are some superstars at the club,” Dow said.
To be able to train and potentially play with them is unreal in itself, so that would definitely make me a better player and improve my footy".

be tutored by some of the best footy stars and legends in the game! Fancy having Dusty around you...Cotch, Rance and JR8 in your ear...

Back