Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
We will know pretty quick where these guys are at with their impact at vfl , English wasn’t able to translate his wafl colts ball winning ability to vfl, hope these lads can
English looks like a bust already unfortunately. Just don't see how he lifts his game to a level that gets him into the first team.

You guys calling English a bust lol first year player and had glandular fever missed a chunk of footy.He aren't soft to tough as nails in under 18 for wa.
To soon to judge English. Either way Wasn’t English also instrumental in us getting stack? Telling the club he was too good to not be on a list and to explore the back story? If there’s truth to that then he’s already been worth the pick.

Last edited:

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND
Not that big mate, plus Grigger played taller than his 190. This kid is smaller - so far. I might get mocked for this, but WTF, but I see a bit Simon Black about him. The body positioning at times when he sets to handball, how he squeezes his kicks neatly at times. Might be I want to see it, who knows, but he's that sort of body size, or will be, a ball getter and distributor.
Na the one who has the Simon Blacks about him is the kid they took with pick 22.

Disagree Grigg ever played as a tall.Yea yea he played in the ruck in name only lmao.Grigger never took over head marks never used his height to advantage and never threw his body around. He was a smart run and spread player who was way more outside than he ever was inside

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon Ross would make a great wingman. FMD if Caddy can play the role just about anyone could.
He might make a wingman but reckon Stack, Pickett, Edwards and some of the speedier young blokes will make better ones. It is Ross's ability to turn on a dime and his strength over the ball, and great distribution that reminds me so much of Selwood or even Prestia.

Na the one who has the Simon Blacks about him is the kid they took with pick 22.

Disagree Grigg ever played as a tall.Yea yea he played in the ruck in name only lmao.Grigger never took over head marks never used his height to advantage and never threw his body around. He was a smart run and spread player who was way more outside than he ever was inside

Disagree as much as you like mate. Never said Grigg played as a tall, just taller than his 190, which IS bigger than Martyn. That was my main point.

And there you go with the NEVER word to try and impact on a conversation. The opposite of never is always. Grigg did take overhead marks, not never and certainly not always. Some of them were even contested and some of them resulted in goals, but not many (not never and not always). I was not making a case for Grigg other than Martyn is different - stay on track mate and certainly don't add stuff I was never commenting on!

With the Simon Black analogy, if you read it again, the exact words where, " a bit of Simon Black". Not lots, not the same, just a bit WITH WHAT LITTLE WE HAVE SEEN OF THIS BOY's CAREER SO FAR. For all we know they could both display a bit of the Simon Blacks yet, how good would that be, and still be different players!!!!!!

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

big girls blouse was griggy

amazing result to piss him and ellis off in the same season

Kyusss

Premiership Player
May 28, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
49ers, Mavericks, Canucks,Cubs
You guys calling English a bust lol first year player and had glandular fever missed a chunk of footy.He aren't soft to tough as nails when he was playing for wa.

I nearly spat my drink when i read someone say English was soft, he is actually noticeably hard to a point where id encourage 2 helmets

I nearly spat my drink when i read someone say English was soft, he is actually noticeably hard to a point where id encourage 2 helmets

think he could develop into a very good run with/tagger I know Dimma generally isn’t big on guys playing that role but I don’t think we have ever had anyone suited to the role either

Sounds grounded

Love that hes idolising Trent. Like the new guys usually all first say Dusty as who they are watching and wanting to emulate but hes gone the workhorse in Cotch. Like the look of this kid :thumbsu:

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW
Love that hes idolising Trent. Like the new guys usually all first say Dusty as who they are watching and wanting to emulate but hes gone the workhorse in Cotch. Like the look of this kid :thumbsu:
Some kids have a good vibe about them this is one of them

Back