Player Watch #36 Welcome to Richmond - Will Martyn

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Graham earnt a fair few brownie points in that Prelim too. Wont surprise me if fit he gets first crack over similar types early up next year.

Martin, Cotchin, Prestia and Edwards are our gun centre square mids. It seems Pickett will also be in there as he looks more at home there than any other position. I think Ross will quickly add to that mix and is our best centre mid prospect since Cotchin. Lambert runs through there, as will Bolton occasionally this season, a few others as well. So you will need to play multiple positions unless you are one of the big 4 or 5.

As much as I appreciate the importance of the pressure and gut running Graham gives, I don't think it more important than the class of the players above. I also think Collier Dawkins will be a big factor sooner than later, and he hits as hard as anyone. Turner also looks like a good mid clearance player and will be pushing for games. It won't be easy getting a gig in our full side this year.

Graham replaces Lambert as the high half forward eventually.

Martin, Cotchin, Prestia and Edwards are our gun centre square mids. It seems Pickett will also be in there as he looks more at home there than any other position. I think Ross will quickly add to that mix and is our best centre mid prospect since Cotchin. Lambert runs through there, as will Bolton occasionally this season, a few others as well. So you will need to play multiple positions unless you are one of the big 4 or 5.

As much as I appreciate the importance of the pressure and gut running Graham gives, I don't think it more important than the class of the players above. I also think Collier Dawkins will be a big factor sooner than later, and he hits as hard as anyone. Turner also looks like a good mid clearance player and will be pushing for games. It won't be easy getting a gig in our full side this year.

Just one point. Pressure is part of the bigger picture for our midfield. I think that we are starting to be stacked with talent there now. For Graham to keep his spot he needs to add possessions and goals. But I value his pressure as much as I value someone else's 20 possessions but little pressure. We'll see how the coaches go. But I suspect that Jack Graham is one of the first picked.

A fair way off, he's only 28. We are talking 2020.

And Ross replacing those aforementioned centre square mids is a fairway off too.

Graham has a bright future, he has 3 games of 3+ goals and 20 plus touches. That’s bloody impressive for a kid not yet 22 and had multiple shoulder injuries and missed an entire preseason cod of a quad.

Just one point. Pressure is part of the bigger picture for our midfield. I think that we are starting to be stacked with talent there now. For Graham to keep his spot he needs to add possessions and goals. But I value his pressure as much as I value someone else's 20 possessions but little pressure. We'll see how the coaches go. But I suspect that Jack Graham is one of the first picked.
But which mid do we have that stat pads, none. Give Shane Edwards 20 possessions and he will hurt you, Martin, Prestia, Pickett by the looks of it, etc. So that might be good in theory, but not really relevant.
Grahams work rate is phenomenal, and he works works both ways, so I am a fan. Just saying he will want to be in form round 1 because midfield spots will be as tight as a gnats chuff.

But which mid do we have that stat pads, none. Give Shane Edwards 20 possessions and he will hurt you, Martin, Prestia, Pickett by the looks of it, etc. So that might be good in theory, but not really relevant.
Grahams work rate is phenomenal, and he works works both ways, so I am a fan. Just saying he will want to be in form round 1 because midfield spots will be as tight as a gnats chuff.

Agree to disagree. Not by much really. Just shade of grey

I wasn’t expecting much, it’s just an observation.

Should’ve drafted a 187cm key forward LOL

if there was a dusty-type i doubt he last until the 40s

interesting William Martyn was taken with the Ellis pick. vanilla or not its quite possible he could turn out a handy contributor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

looks a very young team this time round, might be tough
Menadue , Moore and townso will be a material loss , this could be offset by continued improvement from a long queue scrambling for a senior spot and or some of the draftees showing a bit at vfl level , time will tell . The core of known talent runs deep enough that I expect we will still be top 4

why are we limiting it to just 4 or 5 mids.
We will field every game 8 to 10 mids or more apt primary mids.
Outside of the talls Rance Broad, Grimes Astbury Lynch Riewoldt soldo and Nankervis who are primarily defenders fwds or rucks there is only another 5 who dont play multiple positions and who are not primarily mids. they are Rioli, Castagna, Short, Houli, Vlastuin.

Personally id have the following primary mids in the team.

Lambert who can play fwd,
Prestia is just about the only primary mid who doesnt perform another role
Caddy can play fwd
Edwards fwd and possibly back.
Graham fwd
Cotchin fwd
Martin fwd
Stack back fwd
Pickett back fwd
Bolton Fwd. People may argue this one but this kid is a midfielder first and foremost and we need to start playing him more thru there.
Ross midfield only atm

For me rioli Short Baker are in the gun more than others because we have players who can perform their roles but offer us plenty in the midfield.

A team with 9 or 10 primary mids in it would go like this

Grimes - Astbury - Vlastuin
Houli - Rance - Broad

Soldo - Martin - Cotchin
Ross - Prestia - Caddy

Lambert - Riewoldt - Edwards
Castagna - Lynch - Stack

Pickett - Graham - Bolton - Nankervis/RC-D

Theres 11 or more primary mids and its not that far removed from what we do there is 20 premiership players there
So many can play multiple roles. its not about you can play only so many mids but more about weighing up weather they can do the secondary role to a satisfactory level leaving out those who cant play midfield.

Take the small fwds. Castagna stays because he is our most productive sml fwd but we already rotate blokes like Edwards Lambert Stack Bolton Martin Graham and they all give us just as much as Rioli if not more in the fwd half. Yet when they go into the midfield they play their best footy.

Take the defenders, Stack and Pickett are better options imo than Baker and Short but offer plenty in the midfield

Outside of the talls Rance Broad, Grimes Astbury Lynch Riewoldt soldo and Nankervis who are primarily defenders fwds or rucks there is only another 5 who dont play multiple positions and who are not primarily mids. they are Rioli, Castagna, Short, Houli, Vlastuin.

Caddy can play fwd
Graham fwd
Cotchin fwd
Martin fwd
Stack back fwd
Pickett back fwd
Bolton Fwd. People may argue this one but this kid is a midfielder first and foremost and we need to start playing him more thru there.
Ross midfield only atm

For me rioli Short Baker are in the gun more than others because we have players who can perform their roles but offer us plenty in the midfield.

Houli - Rance - Broad

Soldo - Martin - Cotchin
Ross - Prestia - Caddy

Castagna - Lynch - Stack

Theres 11 or more primary mids and its not that far removed from what we do there is 20 premiership players there
So many can play multiple roles. its not about you can play only so many mids but more about weighing up weather they can do the secondary role to a satisfactory level leaving out those who cant play midfield.

Take the small fwds. Castagna stays because he is our most productive sml fwd but we already rotate blokes like Edwards Lambert Stack Bolton Martin Graham and they all give us just as much as Rioli if not more in the fwd half. Yet when they go into the midfield they play their best footy.

Take the defenders, Stack and Pickett are better options imo than Baker and Short but offer plenty in the midfield
how good is our list ?

Caddy can play fwd
Graham fwd
Cotchin fwd
Martin fwd
Stack back fwd
Pickett back fwd
Ross midfield only atm

Houli - Rance - Broad

Soldo - Martin - Cotchin
Ross - Prestia - Caddy

Castagna - Lynch - Stack

I'm assuming your bench are the weakest of your side, which I agree with. Pickett and Bolton have to much talent and creativity to leave out until proven otherwise. Nank/RCD, the second ruck. Basically Graham is the last on your list (in my reading), and you've chosen him over Rioli, which is contentious but each to their own. My point being that Graham is on the cusp, and maybe if RCD or Balta have cracking preseasons he might make way. You've already moved on Short and Baker.

Graham replaces Lambert as the high half forward eventually.
Quite diff players , jack defensive mid , placing blocks , tackles and winning first use , lambo is a past master at winning that sec possie running into the right spaces and is always on the move playing quick even though he ain’t that fast. EG first Goal of 2017 pre lim , absolute poetry cotch free kick goes deep into the blockhole, dusty roves off The pack, forward handball to lambo , goallllllll 20 sec in ,,,,,, one of my fav Tiger moments ,,,,,,,,,,,ever

Quite diff players , jack defensive mid , placing blocks , tackles and winning first use , lambo is a past master at winning that sec possie running into the right spaces and is always on the move playing quick even though he ain’t that fast. EG first Goal of 2017 pre lim , absolute poetry cotch free kick goes deep into the blockhole, dusty roves off The pack, forward handball to lambo , goallllllll 20 sec in ,,,,,, one of my fav Tiger moments ,,,,,,,,,,,ever

disagree. Jack and Kane are probably the hardest runners on our list and both play off that HF line a lot. Their gut running is what makes them so similar both in attack and defence.

As for second possession Jack is also exceptional at it, his first goal in the granny working hard with Shedda and Cotch on the wing and ends with the handball to slot his first. Or his 4 against the blues all came from running past team mates. Even in the prelim when he competed 2-3 times to stop cats exiting our f50 and eventually Dusty gets it 45 out and Jack charges past gets the handball and misses the goal he’d normally snaffle, but he was playing with one shoulder, that would have sealed the game.

I'm assuming your bench are the weakest of your side, which I agree with. Pickett and Bolton have to much talent and creativity to leave out until proven otherwise. Nank/RCD, the second ruck. Basically Graham is the last on your list (in my reading), and you've chosen him over Rioli, which is contentious but each to their own. My point being that Graham is on the cusp, and maybe if RCD or Balta have cracking preseasons he might make way. You've already moved on Short and Baker.
i dont look at starting on the bench as some sort of indicator of who is better or worse. If mids they all usually spend a similar amount of time on the pine it doesnt really matter who starts.
Being contentious i dont rate Caddy as highly as plenty around here and id take Graham over him if i had to make a choice.

Rioli imo has played a huge chunk of most games almost entirely as a sml fwd. I rate Castagna's output far better despite his shortcomings.
Atm id play any number of our mids who play thru the fwd line in front of Rioli so no its not really a choice between Rioli and Graham.
Id play pickett there Bolton there Edwards there Stack there Lambert it goes on they all give as much as rioli does fwd but they all have shown they can be important parts of midfield rotations and its this that puts them in front of Rioli for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back