Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - COOPER SHARMAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Could see him in the 17 or 27. Wouldn't mind seeing Highmore in the number 2.

6 and 7 are midfielder numbers.

Would love to see him in #27, the number worn by my boyhood hero George Young.

A great mark and very accurate kick like GY, albeit using the opposite hoof.

Rocket Eade reckons his best role is playing like Gunston, roaming up and down the ground
He may have had Sharman playing in a different role at Balwyn than every where else, I can only go off what I've seen and read.

His endurance was holding him back at the Giants, it was a knock on him going into the draft at Okleigh and each time I watched him play for Leeton he was played as a genuine key forward that did his best work inside 50.

As I said, if he can build his endurance over a couple of pre seasons he might be able to play that role but at the moment he's better suited to the deeper forward role IMO.

First round picks since 2003.

2003, Raph Clarke, pick 8
2004, Andrew McQualter, pick 17
2005, Swapped pick for Fergus Watts
2006, David Armitage, pick9
2007, Ben McEvoy, pick 9
2008, Tom Lynch, pick 13
2009, Traded for Andrew Lovett
2010, Jamie Cripps, pick 24
2011, Seb Ross, pick 25
2012, Traded for Tom Hickey
2013, Jack Billings, pick 3, Dunstan pick 18, Acres pick 19
2014, Paddy McCartin, pick 1, Hugh Goddard pick 21
2015, Jade Gresham, pick 18 after pick swap for Jake Carlisle
2016, traded pick 10 for a future first and second and third rounders.
2017, Hunter Clark, pick 7, Nick Coffield, pick 8
2018, Max King, pick 4
2019, Traded for Brad Hill
2020, Matthew Allison, pick 26

So far Max King is the only one I would think looks like being a star quality player. Clark, Coff and Gresham still high potential though. That's absolute sh*t considering the amount of those years where we finished nowhere near finals. For all the sh*t Richo copped this is where you look to see why we have been sh*t for so long.

oh man thats hard reading.

First round picks since 2003.

2003, Raph Clarke, pick 8
2004, Andrew McQualter, pick 17
2005, Swapped pick for Fergus Watts
2006, David Armitage, pick9
2007, Ben McEvoy, pick 9
2008, Tom Lynch, pick 13
2009, Traded for Andrew Lovett
2010, Jamie Cripps, pick 24
2011, Seb Ross, pick 25
2012, Traded for Tom Hickey
2013, Jack Billings, pick 3, Dunstan pick 18, Acres pick 19
2014, Paddy McCartin, pick 1, Hugh Goddard pick 21
2015, Jade Gresham, pick 18 after pick swap for Jake Carlisle
2016, traded pick 10 for a future first and second and third rounders.
2017, Hunter Clark, pick 7, Nick Coffield, pick 8
2018, Max King, pick 4
2019, Traded for Brad Hill
2020, Matthew Allison, pick 26

So far Max King is the only one I would think looks like being a star quality player. Clark, Coff and Gresham still high potential though. That's absolute sh*t considering the amount of those years where we finished nowhere near finals. For all the sh*t Richo copped this is where you look to see why we have been sh*t for so long.
Recruitment, Development or both to blame? Either way, very depressing. The club should have this list carved in the wall of the offices of Finnis, Gallagher and Ratten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fritsch shows why we don't want Sharman to bulk up. Toned is enough. Retain his agility, spread and leap.

A forward line of Sharman, King, Marshall/Ryder/Ladhams, Membrey, Butler, Higgins/Billings all bring something different and require different kinds of defenders. It's a good set up if used properly.
Although a very good forward, I reckon though that Fritsch benefits hugely from elite disposal and lots of clean clearances from the midfield- he would struggle a bit in our team, and would have to apply more body in contests which makes Sharman look pretty good already.

Although a very good forward, I reckon though that Fritsch benefits hugely from elite disposal and lots of clean clearances from the midfield- he would struggle a bit in our team, and would have to apply more body in contests which makes Sharman look pretty good already.
The difference between Fritsch and Sharman is exactly that though. Sharman has shown a proficiency for body work in his forward craft, he actually looks for body contact as well as playing off and leaping - he can do both.

There is some similarities of a young Fyfe in his body shape and skillset, but he looks too much like a natural forward to me to be shifted elsewhere in the near future.

Improvement in his tank will come.

Fritsch shows why we don't want Sharman to bulk up. Toned is enough. Retain his agility, spread and leap.

A forward line of Sharman, King, Marshall/Ryder/Ladhams, Membrey, Butler, Higgins/Billings all bring something different and require different kinds of defenders. It's a good set up if used properly.
They are very different footballers though.

Sharman relies a lot more on his marking and in particular his contested marking.

I don't want him to get huge but he needs to put on a bit of muscle without a doubt

Needs to build a bit more tank.
I've watched his four games a couple of times now. He gets gassed pretty quick.

Outstanding prospect though. Not concerned about second year blues with this guy.

Luckily you can improve the tank of a player a lot with training. And now that he is a full time player he will be able to train more, and with better guidance.

Next time he is wheeled out on the park he will have done a full AFL level pre-season.

Gifted reader of the ball. Cant train that.

Which is why we are are all so excited.

And it is not just reading the play, he has very good football judgement as he knows when and where to run to. Plus did you notice how he never seemed to be in the way of another marking team mate?

He is a true footballer, and is not just an athlete.

Luckily you can improve the tank of a player a lot with training. And now that he is a full time player he will be able to train more, and with better guidance.

Next time he is wheeled out on the park he will have done a full AFL level pre-season.

Which is why we are are all so excited.

And it is not just reading the play, he has very good football judgement as he knows when and where to run to. Plus did you notice how he never seemed to be in the way of another marking team mate?

He is a true footballer, and is not just an athlete.
I love how people try and deny that he won’t be top 10 in the league next year. Just let it flow. You know it’s happening.

He's better than that, he cleans up a lot of mess by being genuinely talented. Sharman has it too.

Sharman biggest strength is his ability to get separation. He also has sticky mits not in the way of Tim Membrey who has strong hands more like Georgiadis from Port.

Sharman biggest strength is his ability to get separation. He also has sticky mits not in the way of Tim Membrey who has strong hands more like Georgiadis from Port.

The reason I compare him to Fritsch is because both have a look like they just happened to instinctively know where the ball is going to go. They make it look easy and like they aren't even thinking about what they're doing.

The reason I compare him to Fritsch is because both have a look like they just happened to instinctively know where the ball is going to go. They make it look easy and like they aren't even thinking about what they're doing.
I reckon the comparison is spot on, or at least as close as we are going to get to what is a pretty unique player for us and the competition.

Sharman averages 3 times the amount of contested marks as Fritch.

I don't think they are really similar.

Jack Riewoldt would be a closer comparison to Sharman IMO in the way they play.

Just tall enough for a key forward, reads the ball well coming in, can get separation at the right time and can take a pack and contested mark.

Butnthe perfect comparison but much closer to Fritch who finds clever ways to kick goals, but very rarely from a contested mark.

Sharman averages 3 times the amount of contested marks as Fritch.

I don't think they are really similar.

Jack Riewoldt would be a closer comparison to Sharman IMO in the way they play.

Just tall enough for a key forward, reads the ball well coming in, can get separation at the right time and can take a pack and contested mark.

Butnthe perfect comparison but much closer to Fritch who finds clever ways to kick goals, but very rarely from a contested mark.

I think if you watch them there is a similarity in demeanour as well. Melbourne have thrown Fritsch around. He's even played on ball before. I think Fritsch is a third tall at Melbourne so the contested marking isn't his thing. It's a pretty small sample size from Coops too. The timing both have to sort of just sit over the back and the ball goes over the top to almost casually land in their hands and stuff are similar. Both make hard stuff look easy and are super clean converters of chances from obscure spots. Riewoldt looks like he works a lot harder for his chances. Fritsch looks like he was just happening to be standing in the right place when the ball arrived.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back