Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - COOPER SHARMAN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Sharman won’t develop as we hope, but if he does he picks himself in the team.

I think Membrey can also play in the forward line if there is a mix of tall mobile forwards who don’t have to be anchored to a specific position or role.

We sometimes tend to focus on the similarities of players rather than how they differ in their styles or skills. I don’t see a forward line with the Kings, Sharman and Membrey as being top-heavy. Quite the reverse, they are all nimble and are good at ground level even though they are tall.

You have to fit Snags, Butler, King, King, Sharman, Membrey maybe a guy like Wang/Millera in there to start his career as well. Guys like Byrnes often set up as an extra wingman off the HFF. Battle and Allison and Marshall all to fit into 6 spots. That's leaving out Long as well. Gresham and Billing play best as forward flankers as well. Ideally you have 2 smalls, 2 mid sizers and 2 talls.

You'd probably have to think about trading Marshall out at the point that Ben King comes in unless his ruck work steps right up. Ben or Max probably has to play back up ruck/forward and then with a weaker midfield we really require someone with high end tap work IMO. Might be a way to get something back to pay for Ben.
I really rate Marshall, if he can play a full year and play his best footy we play finals
untapped potential & talent

Maybe Sharman won’t develop as we hope, but if he does he picks himself in the team.

I think Membrey can also play in the forward line if there is a mix of tall mobile forwards who don’t have to be anchored to a specific position or role.

We sometimes tend to focus on the similarities of players rather than how they differ in their styles or skills. I don’t see a forward line with the Kings, Sharman and Membrey as being top-heavy. Quite the reverse, they are all nimble and are good at ground level even though they are tall.
I don't think there is any doubt if you have that many quality of talls you'd be able to make it work somehow.

The question is it worth the cost and will we be that much of a better side with 4 key forwards instead of three when our midfield is still 2nd rate and Howard doesn't have a decent tall defender to go with him.

He's no certainty but he's certainly had one of the best first 4 games of any forward I can remember. Bing probably kicks less with his brother also sharing the spoils. I like Sharman because he plays a complimentary style to Max. There is no guarantee two Kings will be a great fit.

The two Kings appear to be different players though. I see Bing as more of a leading, centre half forward type, leaving Ming to crash the packs closer to goal.

So we have the Kings of ♠️ ♥️ (the top two bridge suits)
The ♦️ in the rough of Sharman
which of course leaves our great ♣️ man, Membrey to complete the forwards set.
Snags has to be the Joker.

Yeah, yeah I know….🙄

You'd probably have to think about trading Marshall out at the point that Ben King comes in unless his ruck work steps right up. Ben or Max probably has to play back up ruck/forward and then with a weaker midfield we really require someone with high end tap work IMO. Might be a way to get something back to pay for Ben.
Wtf?

Go to bed old boy

I really rate Marshall, if he can play a full year and play his best footy we play finals
untapped potential & talent

I do too, I heard a rumour last time that we were neck deep into King that his name came up. Not sure how accurate it was though.

I do too, I heard a rumour last time that we were neck deep into King that his name came up. Not sure how accurate it was though.
As good as King would be I hope we dont sell the farm for him

As Simon Cowell would say, 'That's a big no from me."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You probably have to sacrifice something good to get it done. If there is a bidding war we will have to stump up.
Call me naive but if there's a bidding war, the rival club would have to offer a shitload more to tempt Ben away from playing next to his twin brother at the club he and his family support.

No to Marshall unless he has a really bad 2022 that exposes his limitations. Picks or periferal players please

The two Kings appear to be different players though. I see Bing as more of a leading, centre half forward type, leaving Ming to crash the packs closer to goal.

So we have the Kings of (the top two bridge suits)
The in the rough of Sharman
which of course leaves our great man, Membrey to complete the forwards set.
Snags has to be the Joker.

Yeah, yeah I know….
Still think we should have picked up Quinton Narkle, and maybe drafted Frankie Peckett's oldest as a rookie.

One Ace, two Kings, one Quin, and a handful of Jacks; that's a hell of a hand

Call me naive but if there's a bidding war, the rival club would have to offer a shitload more to tempt Ben away from playing next to his twin brother at the club he and his family support.

No to Marshall unless he has a really bad 2022 that exposes his limitations. Picks or periferal players please

Like when he stayed in Shitsville for cash? Essendon would offer him a property portfolio and all sorts of incentives. Depends how much he loves playing and training next to his brother I guess.

the question shouldn't be Sharman vs Ben King. It should be Sharman vs Membrey to play that third tall for the twins. In 2 years who do we see as being the better player in that position and in that dynamic?
Exactly. I really rate Membrey and thought that without him we probably would have been competing for the spoon in 2021.

Having said that, if Gags had real cojoñes, like stupid blunt ruthless reckless cojoñes, he'd have traded him a few months ago, and I reckon our club should start making discreet enquiries round clubland this coming year for a possible Membrey trade in October 2022. He would still be great value for a limited amount of time - value that might help us land Bing or boost our draft hand - would walk into any forward line in the AFL, boasts leadership qualities and is a great clubman and probably great to coach and yet we could possibly thrive without him if Coops delivers on his potential.

This could be the "Coutinho to Barça" move that lights the torch paper for our club.

Exactly. I really rate Membrey and thought that without him we probably would have been competing for the spoon in 2021.

Having said that, if Gags had real cojoñes, like stupid blunt ruthless reckless cojoñes, he'd have traded him a few months ago, and I reckon our club should start making discreet enquiries round clubland this coming year for a possible Membrey trade in October 2022. He would still be great value for a limited amount of time - value that might help us land Bing or boost our draft hand - would walk into any forward line in the AFL, boasts leadership qualities and is a great clubman and probably great to coach and yet we could possibly thrive without him if Coops delivers on his potential.

This could be the "Coutinho to Barça" move that lights the torch paper for our club.
I couldn’t make that call I love Membrey too much but it seems like someone has to go for King

would walk into any forward line in the AFL, boasts leadership qualities and is a great clubman and probably great to coach
so why would you get rid of him them
Great way to rip the soul out of the club

Like when he stayed in Shitsville for cash? Essendon would offer him a property portfolio and all sorts of incentives. Depends how much he loves playing and training next to his brother I guess.
Reckon he did that on the assumption he'd just come to St Kilda a couple of years later.

You might be right but in any case, our attractiveness to Bing won't increase depending on what trades we offer Gold Coast and our attractiveness to the Suns won't increase depending on how much money and portfolios we offer Ben.

so why would you get rid of him them
Great way to rip the soul out of the club
If our club's soul depends on one player leaving, how valuable is it really? What happens when he retires, we just whither away? He's bloody great, but he's not Harvey or Roo.

I don't think there is any doubt if you have that many quality of talls you'd be able to make it work somehow.

The question is it worth the cost and will we be that much of a better side with 4 key forwards instead of three when our midfield is still 2nd rate and Howard doesn't have a decent tall defender to go with him.

Fair call, but are they all playing traditional key forward roles at the same time? Are mobile key forwards also doubling up as tall wingers or midfielders? Can they be switched between forward line and backline if needed?

This team could start the next big trend in football that others may try to emulate. There aren’t many teams with mobile key forwards like the twins, Sharman and Membrey. I think you could flick them to any part of the ground at any time to fill various roles. Such flexibility is a massive weapon.

With the modern trend of wingers doubling up as both forwards and defenders teams are effectively playing both an 8 man forward line and backline. Plenty of room for all of these versatile lads in the team.

If our club's soul depends on one player leaving, how valuable is it really? What happens when he retires, we just whither away? He's bloody great, but he's not Harvey or Roo.
Completely different circumstance to him retiring

How valuable is he? would walk into any forward line in the AFL, boasts leadership qualities and is a great clubman and probably great to coach

still remember trying to shaft David Grant to get Barry Mitchell and how that wrecked the playing group for a while

You don't think our club should be respectful to players on our list ?

Tim wont be going anywhere only recently signed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back