Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - DAN BUTLER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Castagna is Richmond's number 1 forward for pressure acts. Also finds himself in good positions in regards to shots at goal. Butler is probably the cleaner of the 2 but Castagna is more important to our gameplan.

Where did Butler rank for pressure acts? Could have sworn everyone was saying Butler was number one when he nominated us but I didn't scrutinise where those claims came from.

Where did Butler rank for pressure acts? Could have sworn everyone was saying Butler was number one when he nominated us but I didn't scrutinise where those claims came from.

Rioli and Butler were almost identical. Rioli was SLIGHTLY above Butler but the difference in average was like 0.04 pressure acts per game.

How Tigers let Butler go and keep Costagna is mind boggling.. Thank you Richmond
They’re very different players , george plays a more physical style whereas dan is typical small forward , skill guile pace his hallmarks , like most small forwards hasn’t been able to demonstrate a midfield link up capacity which means he can play 1 real position that there’s lots of comp for ,, soon his welcome highlights reek will be out , you’ll be impressed with his 2017 work , kicked some great goals throughout the final series

They’re very different players , george plays a more physical style whereas dan is typical small forward , skill guile pace his hallmarks , like most small forwards hasn’t been able to demonstrate a midfield link up capacity which means he can play 1 real position that there’s lots of comp for ,, soon his welcome highlights reek will be out , you’ll be impressed with his 2017 work , kicked some great goals throughout the final series
I appreciate the reply.. However nothing will convince me that Costagna is any good. Opinions on players are Subjective.

I appreciate the reply.. However nothing will convince me that Costagna is any good. Opinions on players are Subjective.
2 time premiership player who with straighter kicking should have had at least 3-4 goals in the grand final. Also as noted previously is our number 1 pressure forward. Other supporters don’t rate George but that’s fine, we love him.
As for Buts we all wish him nothing but the best, great character and if he can rediscover his 2017 form will be a steal for the saints. Will watch the rest of his career with interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think some people are getting very carried away over this recruitment. This year he managed 7 games for 5 goals and an average of 9 disposals from 80% game time. These stats put him at the bottom of the pack of our current small forwards. No doubt he's an improvement on Young but it wouldn't surprise me if he spends a lot of time in the VFL.

Compare him to the forwards he was competing against at Tigers.

He kicked 30 goals in his debut season. He had 80 plus tackles that season. He hasn't even played 50 games yet.
I think some people are getting very carried away over this recruitment. This year he managed 7 games for 5 goals and an average of 9 disposals from 80% game time. These stats put him at the bottom of the pack of our current small forwards. No doubt he's an improvement on Young but it wouldn't surprise me if he spends a lot of time in the VFL.

Compare him to the forwards he was competing against at Tigers.

He kicked 30 goals in his debut season. He had 80 plus tackles that season. He hasn't even played 50 games yet.

Kent kicked 25 a few years back.
Lonie kicked 16 from 11 games 2018
Gresham kicked 30 and 35 2017 and 2018

De-Goey and Bailey Dale get 2 a game.
Eddy Betts still gets 1.8.
Papley 1.7
Elliot and Cripps 1.6
Toby Green 1.4
Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti playin Footy 1.4
Willie Rioli 1.3
Jack Gunston 1.3
Robbie Gray 1.3
Liam Ryan 1.3

Jack Lonie 1. 13.5 disposals per game average. 3.8 Tackles average. 0.2 Goal Assists per game. 2.8 shots at goal per game. 2.8 score involvements 4.7 score launches.
Nick Hind 1. 10.9 disposals/game 1.9 tackles, 0.5 Goal Assists. 2.4 Shots. 2.4 score involvements 4.8 score launches per game
Ben Long 0.9G // 9.5D // 2.8T//0.4GA//1.9Sh//4.1 SI//0.9 SL
Dean Kent 0.9G //10.9D//1.8T//1 GA//2.8sh//5.3S.I//0.5SL
Parker 0.9G // 10.6D // 3T //0.4GA//2.1Sh//4.1SI//0.5SL
Butler 0.7G//9D //3.9T//0.4GA//1.6sh//3.1SI //0.3 SL

If Gresham played forward I'd expect, average per games
1.5 goals +
16 disposals +
2-3 tackles
1 goal assist
This year as a mid he had 5 score involvements per game though.

The players who pushed Butler out of the squad, Bolton and Rioli, are statistically below the players i listed above, except for Butler, though Bolton gets around 14 disposals per game.

Based on 2019 form our most effective scorer, is probably Kent , around a goal and a goal assist per game.
But its Lonie and Hind more likely to set up a play resulting in a score.
Butler on his 2019 form seems middle of the road.

Hind has more score launches than Brad Hill , though Hill has a lot more score involvements.

Ben Long seems to be off the pace even for StKilda.

I'd prefer 3 smalls per game.
1: Gresham
2: Lonie/Kent
3: Parker.

Butler needs to make a case for himself ,even Leon Davis has one of those medals.

This bloke is a good footballer I think. I would have been very happy to keep him! Good pick up and I wish him all the best.

How Tigers let Butler go and keep Costagna is mind boggling.. Thank you Richmond

Opinions may be subjective, but your's is ludicrous! Castagna is an average shot at goal but still manages 25+ goals every year. Very aerial player for his height, quickest of our smalls, huge pressure and manic attack on the ball.

Butler is quick and a good kick but certainly doesn't have the marking ability or contested attack of Castagna.

This bloke is a good footballer I think. I would have been very happy to keep him! Good pick up and I wish him all the best.

Opinions may be subjective, but your's is ludicrous! Castagna is an average shot at goal but still manages 25+ goals every year. Very aerial player for his height, quickest of our smalls, huge pressure and manic attack on the ball.

Butler is quick and a good kick but certainly doesn't have the marking ability or contested attack of Castagna.
Castagna is the worst player in the league. The only thing going for him is that he is quick. He lacks footy smarts & composure . He's just been very lucky he's playing in a good side otherwise he would've been delisted by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back