Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - DOUGAL HOWARD!

Nutsngum

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers FC
The reason Port Adelaide don't have Howard now is because they pushed him forward when he would prefer to stay back.

Josh Battle sees himself as a forward long term, why would we keep him back and risk him looking around when we have a need for him in the forward line anyway?
I feel like Battle might swing forward a lot more now that Bruce is gone. A season of accountability in defence though is going to do wonders for his forward game. I expect a lot from Battle going forward.

Our club is so fractured atm it’s hard to fathom. Jason Cripps decided to tell Dougal that it may be wise to look at his options, and he did. Rest is history.
Wonder who it will be next year? My guess is Xavier Duursma will have the second year blues and clubs will be circling. Anyways. Exciting times for you guys, all the best :thumbsu:

At least he didn’t go to ******* Norf or Essendon

Cripps was a St Kilda plant, grew up a Sainter and sort of played for us when he wasn't in traction. Well done Cripper, hope he sends all you good players our way, I'd love Duursma or actually any of your last batch of kids.

Actually on a more serious note what was the knock on Sam Colquhoun? He seems to be pulling big numbers in the SANFL.

The reason Port Adelaide don't have Howard now is because they pushed him forward when he would prefer to stay back.

Josh Battle sees himself as a forward long term, why would we keep him back and risk him looking around when we have a need for him in the forward line anyway?

Battle is a dead eye on the set shot too.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I feel like Battle might swing forward a lot more now that Bruce is gone. A season of accountability in defence though is going to do wonders for his forward game. I expect a lot from Battle going forward.
I'd start him at CHF to be honest. Max deep and Membrey and Battle running up and down the ground sounds like a great mix.

He's got a huge tank and uses the footy well through the ground.

Especially if Robbo is back, but even without him I think Wilkie can play that 3rd tall role.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Cripps was a St Kilda plant, grew up a Sainter and sort of played for us when he wasn't in traction. Well done Cripper, hope he sends all you good players our way, I'd love Duursma or actually any of your last batch of kids.

And received St Kilda's worst shafting I've seen at 2002's end.

Eeeks 20+ games that season yet is done.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interesting that Gags said he could hold down CHB for a decade not FB. Which is interesting because none of Battle/Carlisle/Howard seem like FBs. Therefore who starts FB

Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
By far the most interesting pickup we have had in a while.
We all know what Hill brings, but Dougal is a bit of a game changer for us which could ultimately pay off big time by allowing us to move some pieces around the ground.

Battle is a deadeye in front of goal, yes he had a great season but also felt the first few games he played up forward after debut were so aggressive and promising there is no reason why he would not of had a rising star nom up forward last year if he played there.

Hopefully Dougal frees up Carlisle to play his best style of game.

I'm pretty excited about all the change at the club.

I miss Doogs already

Pity you missed today’s deadline... we were offering 2 memberships for the price of 1.

Never mind, sign up for the 3 game one - cheaper to come to Melbourne than a ticket to China to watch him play 😊

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
Pity you missed today’s deadline... we were offering 2 memberships for the price of 1.

Never mind, sign up for the 3 game one - cheaper to come to Melbourne than a ticket to China to watch him play 😊

Well with the amount of Port supporters that don’t renew for 2020 I wouldn’t be surprised if some of us throw some cash at another more deserving club. Why not?

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
Didn't know much about this kid but those highlight reels are freakin awesome.

Reckon Port crazy letting this bloke go.

We are at an absolute loss to explain how it could possibly be a good move. Just absolutely mind boggling. I’ll still be rooting for him in Saints colours

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
We are at an absolute loss to explain how it could possibly be a good move. Just absolutely mind boggling. I’ll still be rooting for him in Saints colours
Your taking this well and sorry if you perceived my comment was directed at you. It wasn't.
I'd be livid if we let a player like that go.

Hopefully Port get their act together. Surely Ken gotta go.
We're just coming out of a decade of grief which is challenging as a supporter to say the least.

King_Tredrea

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2007
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dubs, Bills, Chelsea FC
Your taking this well and sorry if you perceived my comment was directed at you. It wasn't.

We're just coming out of a decade of grief which is challenging as a supporter to say the least.

No need to apologize at all. We are awful.

Chad Wingard being pushed out of the club was almost impossible to swallow. I reckon this one has pushed a lot of people over the edge.

Players are being pushed out of the club at an alarming rate as scapegoats to cover up the flaws of Ken Hinkley and the entire football dept, in an attempt to appease the naive 95%. But unfortunately for the club that number has shrinked significantly due to the mind numbing stupidity of this move.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
No need to apologize at all. We are awful.

Chad Wingard being pushed out of the club was almost impossible to swallow. I reckon this one has pushed a lot of people over the edge.
Honestly thought Hinkley was gone this year.
Take it he is contracted for next year?

It would be similar to us losing Battle. Equal measure of distraught and outraged.

We understand how you feel. Have lost a fair few players we’d rather not have over the decades.
You really get attached to them. It’ll take me a very long time to get over Stuv playing for that team down the highway - basically our best player we lost for nothing. 😞

Last edited:
Contracted for next year and 2021 is triggered if we play finals next year. I guess that’s the one silver lining of moving Dougal on.

It’s such an interesting thing - you guys had some good years when Richo and Hinkley worked together iirc.

Since we landed Richo, pretty much both teams have taken a bit of a dive. We’ve moved on finally after a stupid contract extension, I figure Hinkley’s days are numbered.

Anyway, good luck for the season, things are never as bad ( or good) as they seem. We had one great day to celebrate our trades and now Hanners is already down with a fractured foot!!

RWBlyf

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
F98FDDC5-422E-4EED-9693-3D26529C30E1.png

Traded defender Dougal Howard ‘failed to grasp AFL opportunity’ with Port Adelaide
The West Australian
Wednesday, 6 November 2019 7:30PM

Play Video
Bradley Hill to become a Saint
3:39 | 7NEWS Melbourne

Young gun Dougal Howard failed to “grasp his opportunity” at Port Adelaide before he was traded to St Kilda, Power assistant coach Nathan Bassett says.
Port Adelaide was heavily criticised for the decision to trade Howard, who was described by commentator Dwayne Russell as “untradeable”, last month alongside veteran Paddy Ryder.
Power premiership star Kane Cornes slammed his former club for playing Howard as a forward instead of his preferred role as a defender.

“Port Adelaide have let a player in his absolute prime go,” Cornes said.
“Port Adelaide have completely botched this in my opinion.”
RELATED: Cornes lashes former club for Dougal Howard deal
But speaking on Dwayne’s World on SEN SA today, Bassett defended the trade.
“Dougal certainly showed some things at both ends of the ground without quite grasping his opportunity at either end last season,” he said.
“Then we had Charlie (Dixon) returning from injury.
“We’ve got some promising and highly promising forwards … we probably expect to add in that space in the draft.”
Bassett said he hopes two former Eagles have big seasons at the club in 2020, with Scott Lycett set to take on a bigger role in the ruck while veteran Brad Ebert will play as a forward.
“(Ebert’s) got a lot of potential to be almost a key forward given his strength in the air,” he said.
“I think Brad will spend a spare bit of his time forward (alongside Dixon).”

Back