Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - DOUGAL HOWARD!

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded defender Dougal Howard ‘failed to grasp AFL opportunity’ with Port Adelaide
The West Australian
Wednesday, 6 November 2019 7:30PM

Play Video
Bradley Hill to become a Saint
3:39 | 7NEWS Melbourne

Young gun Dougal Howard failed to “grasp his opportunity” at Port Adelaide before he was traded to St Kilda, Power assistant coach Nathan Bassett says.
Port Adelaide was heavily criticised for the decision to trade Howard, who was described by commentator Dwayne Russell as “untradeable”, last month alongside veteran Paddy Ryder.
Power premiership star Kane Cornes slammed his former club for playing Howard as a forward instead of his preferred role as a defender.

“Port Adelaide have let a player in his absolute prime go,” Cornes said.
“Port Adelaide have completely botched this in my opinion.”
RELATED: Cornes lashes former club for Dougal Howard deal
But speaking on Dwayne’s World on SEN SA today, Bassett defended the trade.
“Dougal certainly showed some things at both ends of the ground without quite grasping his opportunity at either end last season,” he said.
“Then we had Charlie (Dixon) returning from injury.
“We’ve got some promising and highly promising forwards … we probably expect to add in that space in the draft.”
Bassett said he hopes two former Eagles have big seasons at the club in 2020, with Scott Lycett set to take on a bigger role in the ruck while veteran Brad Ebert will play as a forward.
“(Ebert’s) got a lot of potential to be almost a key forward given his strength in the air,” he said.
“I think Brad will spend a spare bit of his time forward (alongside Dixon).”
Would love to hear Kane Cornes reaction to this statement.
Have a feeling he would disagree.

Would love to hear Kane Cornes reaction to this statement.
Have a feeling he would disagree.
Lol shows how much they know if they think Ebert can play as a key forward. The only promising forward they have is Marshall and even then they don't know whether to play him back or forward. Port are cooked when it comes to KPF

Traded defender Dougal Howard ‘failed to grasp AFL opportunity’ with Port Adelaide
The West Australian
Wednesday, 6 November 2019 7:30PM

Play Video
Bradley Hill to become a Saint
3:39 | 7NEWS Melbourne

Young gun Dougal Howard failed to “grasp his opportunity” at Port Adelaide before he was traded to St Kilda, Power assistant coach Nathan Bassett says.
Port Adelaide was heavily criticised for the decision to trade Howard, who was described by commentator Dwayne Russell as “untradeable”, last month alongside veteran Paddy Ryder.
Power premiership star Kane Cornes slammed his former club for playing Howard as a forward instead of his preferred role as a defender.

“Port Adelaide have let a player in his absolute prime go,” Cornes said.
“Port Adelaide have completely botched this in my opinion.”
RELATED: Cornes lashes former club for Dougal Howard deal
But speaking on Dwayne’s World on SEN SA today, Bassett defended the trade.
“Dougal certainly showed some things at both ends of the ground without quite grasping his opportunity at either end last season,” he said.
“Then we had Charlie (Dixon) returning from injury.
“We’ve got some promising and highly promising forwards … we probably expect to add in that space in the draft.”
Bassett said he hopes two former Eagles have big seasons at the club in 2020, with Scott Lycett set to take on a bigger role in the ruck while veteran Brad Ebert will play as a forward.
“(Ebert’s) got a lot of potential to be almost a key forward given his strength in the air,” he said.
“I think Brad will spend a spare bit of his time forward (alongside Dixon).”
Port Adelaide Spin Doctoring at its finest.

I wasn't sure who he was a month ago. I'm still not convinced 'Dougal' is a real name. I have no idea why Port have given him up.

But I'm pretty damn glad to have him at the Saints.

Looking forward to seeing him in our colours next year! Up the Doooogz.

Named after the dog from the ABC's children's classic "The Magic Roundabout".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips won, so gotta be him. Rumours are that Howard punched him in the back of the head though as he ran past and followed it up with an ear massage at the finish line. Definitely should be played down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back