Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - ISAAC KEELER!

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s hope he can prove a few clubs wrong. He should’ve been top 10 purely on talent. Obviously a few issues according to some.

Asked the Crow board their thoughts on why Keeler wasn't nomm'ed. Seems he is a talent but not really competitive. thankfully no behavioral problems.

Someone over there was saying hopefully he will go back in two years. Well if he doesn't work under RTB, he will be back home in 6 months.
Given they didn't nominate him and overlooked him with the previous pick, I don't see him going back to the Croweaters.

Just watched a couple of his highlight videos. Wow. Obscene amount of natural talent, skill and athleticism.

If you haven’t watched this one yet, do yourself a favour.

Hahaha, my god! Big smile on my face, I don't think I've ever had as much fun watching a highlights package as that! I caught my jaw open at one stage.

Speccies. Selling candy. Left/right foot. Reading taps. Slinging tackles. 55m+ goals.

Just ridiculous. If he wants it enough, there's nothing stopping him.

The way he moves across the ground, and reads the play, and sells candy... reminds me a little of Buddy. I don't say that lightly. So I hope he bloody wants it!!!

Hahaha, my god! Big smile on my face, I don't think I've ever had as much fun watching a highlights package as that! I caught my jaw open at one stage.

Speccies. Selling candy. Left/right foot. Reading taps. Slinging tackles. 55m+ goals.

The way he moves across the ground, and reads the play, and sells candy... reminds me a little of Buddy. I don't say that lightly. So I hope he bloody wants it!!!
Yeah I’ve heard him compared to all of Ryder, Buddy and Goodes, so you’re not going overboard with that.

Someone on another board also said he thinks he’s friends with Nas, so getting him could kill two birds with one stone- if he helps Nas to settle.

Absolutely worth a punt after the first 3. Hopefully can board and bond with Nas, and we retain paddy in some sort of way to help mentor him.
You don't need to worry about him bonding with Nas, they're already great mates!

And don't worry about this perception of him not having the drive to succeed, people have been fooled by his laconic nature. I've watched him train and play these last 2 years and he just keeps putting in more and more effort. He could seriously be anything.

Shades of Spencer White as well

You don't need to worry about him bonding with Nas, they're already great mates!
That’s great to hear!
And don't worry about this perception of him not having the drive to succeed, people have been fooled by his laconic nature. I've watched him train and play these last 2 years and he just keeps putting in more and more effort. He could seriously be anything.
So given the fact he obviously has an obscene amount of talent, what would you say the main areas of improvement are that caused clubs to overlook him all the way into the mid-40’s?

Here is Pie 4 Life’s write up on him from the BigFooty Phantom Draft:

Pick 19 - Isaac Keeler (North Adelaide/South Australia)

Position:
Key Forward/Ruck
Height: 198cm
Weight: 88kg

Reasoning:

There is little doubt that on pure talent and upside, Keeler is up there with the best in this draft. Can he fulfil that potential at AFL level? Yet to be seen obviously, but I'd rather take the punt on the player that could be incredible, and for me that is Keeler. I thought about a few options here (tall and small) but think I've got more chance of one of them squeezing through to my next selection.

Draft Profile:

There’s not a lot of things on a football field that Isaac Keeler can’t do. The mercurial forward/ruck continues to flash the x-factor and match-winning ability that brings fans to games. Keeler has put together patches of brilliance throughout the year, most recently in the SANFL U18 Semi Final against Norwood. Keeler’s start to the second half set the tone for his side and his dominance through the middle and around the ground helped turn a quarter time deficit into a comfortable victory.

Spending large periods through the ruck for North Adelaide this season, Keeler does his best work as an extra midfielder in that part of the ground. His ability to read the opposing ruckman’s tap and win his own clearance helps shake up the midfield mix for his side. A capable leaper too, Keeler can rise above the opposition ruck and get first hand to the football. Averaging a touch under 18 disposals a game this season is a testament to his ability to win possession around the ground. Keeler is equally dangerous inside 50 where he’s a threat on the lead, in the air and below his knees.

Isaac Keeler looks to have one of the highest ceilings of any prospect in this year's draft pool. The 198cm talent from Port Augusta teases a rare combination of athleticism, mobility and skill for a player his size. A tough cover on the lead due to his range and speed, Keeler comfortably gets separation from his opponent, with few defenders in the SANFL Under 18 competition able to stay with him. Poor entries inside 50 won't take him out of the contest, with his ability to collect the ball cleanly below his knees and finish around his body, Keeler has the skillset of a small forward in a key forward's body.

Technically gifted, Keeler is a capable set shot goalkicker who can easily cover the distance from beyond the 50 metre arc. This natural ability to use the football also extends to his field kicking, where his ball use around the ground is of a quality rarely seen in a player his size.

Keeler's exploits in the ruck have been somewhat of a mixed bag at this stage. While he has a big enough leap to compete for the hitouts, he hasn't yet embraced the physical nature of the ruck battle, leading to some varied results for him in that part of the ground. Where he looks most comfortable in that role is in his ability to read the opposing ruckman's hit-outs and contribute as an extra midfield option. Keeler's size and athleticism are again a major advantage for him and he's more than capable of winning clearances and kicking his side into attack. Outside of the ruck contest, Keeler has demonstrated his ability to accumulate the football around the ground, where his teammates trust him with ball in hand.

Whilst his size and athleticism is a strength, adding more physicality to his game will help Keeler take his football to the next level. At times he can be too easily moved out of a marking contest and when denied a clean run and jump at the football, Keeler struggles to bring the ball to ground. Improving his physicality would likely see further development in his ruck craft and if he can become a consistent contested marking threat, Keeler would be well on his way to reaching his ceiling as a footballer. Although he may be a few years away from being AFL-ready, the upside with Keeler makes him one of the more intriguing prospects in this year's crop.

One thing that does make me nervous about so many high potential but a little fragile prospects is the fact that we have a virgin development coach in Brendan Goddard.

Now I know that he has more experienced people around him doing the same job and helping out, but he is in charge of 1st to 4th year players and it's vital that we don't burn an otherwise mercurial prospect by coaching him clumsily - It's obvious that someone like Keller needs a specific approach, someone who knows player psychology. BJ was a very different person and I hope he can relate to a player who would need a vastly different guide.

Last edited:
Paddy 2.0 in terms of mildly undersized athleticism. Probably more a forward than a ruck at this point.

Long term chop-out partner for Marshall/Heath.

Has a bit more X factor than Paddy IMO. Adam Goodes vibes with Paddy like traits.

One thing that does make me nervous about so many high potential but a little fragile prospects is the fact that we have a virgin development coach in Brendan Goddard.

Now I know that he has more experienced people around him doing the same job and helping out, but he is in charge of 1st to 4th year players and it's vital that we don't burn an otherwise A mercurial prospect by coaching him clumsily - It's obvious that someone like Keller needs a specific approach, someone who knows player psychology. BJ was a very different person and I hope he can relate so a layer who would need a vastly different guide.
We have Damian Carroll - who is one of the best in the game leading the development coaches.

Not just BJ. He is the biggest name however.

In at least one of those goals that he kicked he did the Max King spin of the ball in the approach to goal. Reckon that's the knock on him. Now we have two of those ball spinning 1 goal 6 players in our side. Focus in the off season needs to be how to lock the ball in our fwdline from a kick in.
Otherwise what a highlight package!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t know whether he wants it or not; or makes it or not.

What I do know 100% is that I would be jealous AF is one of the other 17 clubs had picked him.

So I’ll happily accept any risks associated with the pick.

Well done Saints team

Keeler getting a big endorsement from The Pou

LOVE this.

Phillipou is confident, bordering on arrogant, sure, but he seems like the BJ to Windhager’s Lenny, and very quick to big up his teammates, and I am HERE for that.

Now I know that he has more experienced people around him doing the same job and helping out, but he is in charge of 1st to 4th year players and it's vital that we don't burn an otherwise mercurial prospect by coaching him clumsily - It's obvious that someone like Keller needs a specific approach, someone who knows player psychology. BJ was a very different person and I hope he can relate to a player who would need a vastly different guide.
Damien Carrol is our head of development and is one of the best in the AFL. I wouldn’t stress

In at least one of those goals that he kicked he did the Max King spin of the ball in the approach to goal. Reckon that's the knock on him. Now we have two of those ball spinning 1 goal 6 players in our side. Focus in the off season needs to be how to lock the ball in our fwdline from a kick in.
Otherwise what a highlight package!
Did it on two, both well outside 50, both went through at half post height.

From what I have read, he was told to pull his finger out earlier this year and he responded well. Biggest knock is his physicality at the ruck and can easily get pushed off the ball in marking contests. If he doesn't have a clear run at a marking contest he has trouble marking.

If he can't rectify those issues, experienced AFL players will be easily take him out of play. If he can put on some muscle, get his physical competitive footy animal going and use his abilities and natural footy instinct to work through the challenges defenders will give him, he could be anything.

Caveat on this, not saying he will be this, but the highlight package gave me the impression that if he goes to the top of his game he has young NicNac traits in a Buddy body (also very quick) with some Paddy nous. High praise and hyperbole and he went at 45 for a reason.

Didn’t work hard enough early on
Was told he could be a gun player if he knuckles down really hard and could set himself up for later life

It’s why he has the deficiencies most have talked about, didn’t want to bust his ass

It’s now or never and I’m 50/50 on him

Natural talent
Just needs to take a big step and want to do it

Fair sized red flag that Adelaide didn't nominate him, just need to steer him in a positive direction. Paddy's playing down the Peninsula, he should visit his ex-teammates (frequently) and share his wisdom.
Maybe Adelaide just aren't a very well run club at the moment? All evidence points that way...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back