Toast Welcome to St.Kilda - JACK HAYES!

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope we leave it there and take 1-2 picks at the mid season
I think we'll take Lienert, mature age, mature body, good height, got a game against Carlton whereas Naish didn't

The contested marking will be a real treat. I feel like the last 4-5 years going back to the Josh Bruce era we haven’t really had any aerial threats. Membrey probably being the most consistent clunker in the forward 50.

But Sharman is a one touch grab. Sounds like Hayes has the same ability. We all know that Ming is going to be a phenomenon when he is allowed to get on the lead.

I would absolutely love it if Hayes can take his SANFL form and transfer it to the AFL.

The balance has to be that we don’t lose our defensive zip in the forward 50.
"I would absolutely love it if Hayes can take his SANFL form and transfer it to the AFL."

A modern mobile version of Jason Blake - undersized, but great value.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's easy to spot. Don't over complicate recruiting, just get the obvious footballers in.
So many qualities stood out from watching just one match.
You're here for life now, Jack :heart:

I reckon Hayes will slot straight in for round 1. Looks like a contested beast and assist king (pun intended).
Fractures leg, plays GF, gets BOG.... sounds similar to another Hayes I know :heart: Another tough, agile, skillful, intelligent, hungry mature age recruit.

It seems he would be very unlucky not to be signed by us.

6 goals in a prelim:

Looks like we've got an absolute steal with this guy, credit to our recruiters for seeing his potential and giving him a go.

His lack of height for that ruck/forward role must have been the only reason he was overlooked for so long but as we saw last night he more than makes up for that with his competitiveness and ability to impact the game.

His performance last night was the best debut I've ever seen from a Saints player, a rare shining light on a dark night for us.

Looks like we've got an absolute steal with this guy, credit to our recruiters for seeing his potential and giving him a go.

His lack of height for that ruck/forward role must have been the only reason he was overlooked for so long but as we saw last night he more than makes up for that with his competitiveness and ability to impact the game.

His performance last night was the best debut I've ever seen from a Saints player, a rare shining light on a dark night for us.
Luke Dunstan got 3 Brownlow votes and a RS nomination on debut, but this was the best since then for sure

Well done to Saints recruiters on picking this bloke hopefully more of mature age guys fire this year these guys deserve their shot in front of many junior kids let them prove themselves in senior football take a risk pick the mature guys.

Wanted to come here to say something similar. Its incredible that teams continually overlook guys like him. Well done to your recruitment staff in picking up a senior player who can come in and perform at the level. There are more talls out there dominating at the lower levels of footy as they reach their mid twenties but very few given an opportunity. The obsession with youth and the reluctance to give delisted players another try is something that needs to change imho. Its particularly odd when its generally accepted that talls take more time to develop. Sure, take those young guys off the board on draft night that project to be outstanding talents, but dig deeper when spending those late/ rookie picks.

Loved his game last night. Just brilliant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct me if wrong but the AFL RECORD has him at 07-03-1996.

Footywire has it as

6 Mar 1997

As does wiki

In the news some articles have him as 26, and some as 25..

Jack Hayes is a 26-year-old concreter from South Australia who hung up on his manager when his AFL ambitions were finally realised.
This article on the St Kilda Website has him as 25 on March 2. Which would make him 26 now as his birthday is on 7th March.

Last edited:
Haha cheers for the info peeps. This is the thing, no one knows how old he his!

Hang on a minute..... what if there are TWO HAYES!!! 🙃

Correct me if wrong but the AFL RECORD has him at 07-03-1996.

Wikipedia out by one year and one day?

Correction: 2014 U18's AFL Championships has Hayes at 06-Mar-96.

Footywire has it as

6 Mar 1997

As does wiki

In the news some articles have him as 26, and some as 25..

Jack Hayes is a 26-year-old concreter from South Australia who hung up on his manager when his AFL ambitions were finally realised.
This article on the St Kilda Website has him as 25 on March 2. Which would make him 26 now as his birthday is on 7th March.

Just watching him warm up pre-game was ... enlightening.

Slotted shot after shot ... took it really seriously ... I said to my wife that he looks like a textbook, consistent set shot routine ... if he gets 3 shots tonight, he'll be 2.1 at worst ...

Reckon a few of our forwards could pay attention to his routine, and put some serious thought into how they approach their next shot.

Just watching him warm up pre-game was ... enlightening.

Slotted shot after shot ... took it really seriously ... I said to my wife that he looks like a textbook, consistent set shot routine ... if he gets 3 shots tonight, he'll be 2.1 at worst ...

Reckon a few of our forwards could pay attention to his routine, and put some serious thought into how they approach their next shot.
Did he play the same team as Sharman? Who the * is their goalkicking coach and how do we get them signed to us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back