Toast Welcome to St Kilda Jonathon Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

If his fitness is anywhere near peak, he's a chance to play Round 1.

Some of his work shown here is pretty damn good against some pretty good forwards.

If his fitness is anywhere near peak, he's a chance to play Round 1.

Some of his work shown here is pretty damn good against some pretty good forwards.

I'll be very surprised if he plays round one. He'll have a s**t load to learn about game plan etc to start with.

It's a big ask to expect a bloke that wasn't on an afl list to come in and play senior footy after a weeks training.

Last edited:
Most of his highlights are of him playing forward

Was he drafted as a forward and the moved back when he went to Collingwood

Interesting to read he played on ball in his first year back at the WAFL too

I read somewhere that he was played forward by the Pies VFL coaches and pleaded with them to go back.

It's a great interview... I love that we've got a number of players now that have done it hard getting onto a list. That sort of 'I'm not letting this opportunity slip' can be contagious through a team. Lets face it, a few of our blokes look like they've taken their AFL opportunities for granted.

I'll be very surprised if he plays round one. He'll have a s**t load to learn about game plan etc to start with.

It's a big ask to expect a bloke that wasn't on an afl list to come in and play senior footy after a weeks training.
What's to learn about being an intercept defender - leave your man and mark the ball - simple!!!:)

Apparently played on Jack Reiwoldt in the Tigers intra-club a couple of weeks ago.

Just watched the brief interview with him on the Saints Youtube channel, and he seemed to be jumping out of his skin with excitement. He looks stoked, can't wait to see him get his chance at the big leagues with us. Reckon he's going to want to repay the faith. Good luck to him!
Will surely piss off some Saints fans with his description of Geary as "an absolute superstar"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much happier with that vision he looks really solid - you have to wonder why he wasnt picked up in the draft. Gees he speaks well and loved his excitement and passion to get a second go at it.
Common thread with these boys is their hunger, which I suspect is because they haVe had to earn, so don't take it for granted.

Unlike those that come through the system and expect it to happen.

I'm on board with the signing of Marsh but Rowe absolutely staggers me. We already have an old stodgy stopper with no future in Brown; why the hell would we sign another one?

Yes our defensive stocks have taken a hit with our two best defenders out for the year. But we still have Brown, Joyce, Austin, Webster, Geary, Savage, Webster, Battle, McKenzie, Clavarino, Wilkie, White, Rice, Newnes, Marsh and Paton on the list. We need a backup ruckman far more than another defender. Last week our available rucks stocks consisted of Marshall and Alabakis.

Given that McCartin is probably finished as well, King is a few years off and Battle is being used in defense it would have made much more sense to recruit McLean.

Most of his highlights are of him playing forward

Was he drafted as a forward and the moved back when he went to Collingwood

Interesting to read he played on ball in his first year back at the WAFL too

correct to all of the above

my understanding was his WA U18 coach played him forward. got drafted as a forward. went to the pies. it wasn't working. got asked to be moved down back. things clicked.

went back to east freo. was playing down back but then thrown into the midfield and went even better. his best WAFL footy was as a tall mid. East freo had a terrible coach, so he took the punt to come over east and trained with richmonds VFL side.

Jeez there's some ignorant **** flying around here. What do we do if Brown gets injured? Replace him with a 3 gamer in Joyce? No no, we'll use Clav, 0 games, not ready yet and effn injured anyway. Well, we've got Marsh who played 10 games 3 years ago, that's just super!!
Rowe is 31yo, 95kgs, 197cm with 99 games, and he's NOT injured. Be happy ffs!!

Jeez there's some ignorant **** flying around here. What do we do if Brown gets injured? Replace him with a 3 gamer in Joyce? No no, we'll use Clav, 0 games, not ready yet and effn injured anyway. Well, we've got Marsh who played 10 games 3 years ago, that's just super!!

I'd be happy to replace him with somebody that might have a future in the game. That ain't Rowe. Nothing signing.

I'd be happy to replace him with somebody that might have a future in the game. That ain't Rowe. Nothing signing.
Drafting for the future ended on 23 November 2018.

This is purely to provide backup due to the unexpected season long absence of a senior player. It needed to be someone who can step in immediately if required.

Recruiting and drafting for the future will recommence at the end of the 2019 season.

Drafting for the future ended on 23 November 2018.

This is purely to provide backup due to the unexpected season long absence of a senior player. It needed to be someone who can step in immediately if required.

Recruiting and drafting for the future will recommence at the end of the 2019 season.

I hear you but we picked up Marsh who at least has some upside and could surprise. We all know exactly how the Rowe signing it will end.

What, like we just did with Marsh?
So you want to replace Robbo/Jake with a development prospect then do you??
Or Libba could just bend over and pull an experienced 26yo KPD with good future from out his bumhole coz every other club was blind and passed over this little hidden diamond for the last 8 years???
Try wishing in one hand and shitting in the other, then see which fills up first.
Rowe was top of the scrap heap and so we took him. He's a Saint now. Get behind him or gtfo.

Last edited:
Correct , he is just insurance and maybe able to help some of the younger guys with Jake missing for the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back